The Student Room Group

Need brutally honest advice and help

Ok, so where do I start? I was around 16 years old and I had severe depression up to the point that I didn't leave the house for almost a year and only managed to get 5 passes at GCSE 3Bs in maths, double science, english lit and 2 Cs in English Literature and and single science, in my first year of A levels I failed all my subjects and left and again had some serious problems when it came to depression for a few more years and alienated all my friends.
After a while, I got a lot better and at 19 and started work, I got a girlfriend, and then at 20 I decided to redo my A levels, I did only mathematics at the college since it was an evening course and it suited my timetable, but first they made me do an exam to illustrate our mathematical ability since it had been so long since I last studied, anyway, I started studying heavily and I ended up getting 100% in the Maths 2014 summer GCSE higher paper of that summer (it wasn't an official sitting but one for the college). At that point I decided to take up an A level in further maths and government and politics which I would do in my own time. So i finished all my exams yesterday and thanks to Arsey <3 I know that I have an AA in maths and further maths AS (I took s2 as an AS module instead of D1 and got 100% on it yesterday), and I'm pretty sure I've got at the very least a B in government and politics.
Now, my question is this, will I be able to apply for a top university to study maths or will my teenage years be prohibitive in that? I'd appreciate if you guys are honest
P.S. need some advice :smile:
EDIT: I assume I'm going to get predicted A*A* in maths and Further maths since i got high UMS in both subjects and with politics I'd probably get predicted an A (assuming i get an A in politics)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mythological
Ok, so where do I start? I was around 16 years old and I had severe depression up to the point that I didn't leave the house for almost a year and only managed to get 5 passes at GCSE 3Bs in maths, double science, english lit and 2 Cs in English Literature and and single science, in my first year of A levels I failed all my subjects and left and again had some serious problems when it came to depression for a few more years and alienated all my friends.
After a while, I got a lot better and at 19 and started work, I got a girlfriend, and then at 20 I decided to redo my A levels, I did only mathematics at the college since it was an evening course and it suited my timetable, but first they made me do an exam to illustrate our mathematical ability since it had been so long since I last studied, anyway, I started studying heavily and I ended up getting 100% in the Maths 2014 summer GCSE higher paper of that summer (it wasn't an official sitting but one for the college). At that point I decided to take up an A level in further maths and government and politics which I would do in my own time. So i finished all my exams yesterday and thanks to Arsey <3 I know that I have an AA in maths and further maths AS (I took s2 as an AS module instead of D1 and got 100% on it yesterday), and I'm pretty sure I've got at the very least a B in government and politics.
Now, my question is this, will I be able to apply for a top university to study maths or will my teenage years be prohibitive in that? I'd appreciate if you guys are honest

Explain why the gap in your personal statement, write a great PS, nail further maths and your golden :smile: probs get into a russel group uni.
Obviously "top" unis are going to select only the best candidates that score their grades on the first try. Just find the best uni that allows resit candidates
Original post by earthworm
Explain why the gap in your personal statement, write a great PS, nail further maths and your golden :smile: probs get into a russel group uni.

That's the problem, I wouldn't know where to start, I didn't go to see a doctor for my depression, I simply refused to leave the house for a long long time.
Original post by shawn_o1
Obviously "top" unis are going to select only the best candidates that score their grades on the first try. Just find the best uni that allows resit candidates

That's exactly why I feel so bad, since the grades I'm going to be predicted to get is A*A*A, I just feel so salty I can't get into a top university because of my past..
That's exactly why I feel so bad, since the grades I'm going to be predicted to get is A*A*A, I just feel so salty I can't get into a top university because of my past..

If you think about it, you're most likely getting a job after your time at uni, and most employers don't really care where you got your degree from as long as it's the degree subject they're looking for
Original post by shawn_o1

My suspicion is that shawn_o1 is imagining resits done the year after, but mythological is the admissions' officer's dream: a 'mature student' (for the stats and the counting) with predicited A*A*A...

I think you're golden pal.

You have nothing to lose, apply for a range of unis. I think you will be suprised.
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get into a decent uni without having to explain your past with depression, most(or possibly all) universities accept 'mature students', which just means anyone age 21 or over that didn't go into higher education after school. There's a lot of information here https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/mature-students/tips-mature-student-applications.
Good Luck:smile:
That's the problem, I wouldn't know where to start, I didn't go to see a doctor for my depression, I simply refused to leave the house for a long long time.

Then put that you think it was undiagnosed depression and explain symptoms.
Yeah, university consider "extenuating circumstances" more carefully than you'd expect them to. Applicants with "extenuating circumstances" are often at a huge advantage however it also, of course, depends on your circumstance :smile:

One of my best friend's father left her when she was a child and universities and her future employers took huge consideration of this although it didn't seem to affected her academically in my opinion.
Or even better make your ps about overcoming your problems e.g: during my school years my academic potential was not realised due to deep and prolonged problems with my personal life. As an adult I am able to show my potential and wish to further it by studying maths to bsc level. I am particualy interesed in.....
Reply 12
EDIT: I assume I'm going to get predicted A*A* in maths and Further maths since i got high UMS in both subjects and with politics I'd probably get predicted an A (assuming i get an A in politics)

I doubt oxford or cambridge but you never know, the rest as not so bothered by gcse results. A good personal statement goes a long way. Also as your older and have worked and got through your depression helps a great deal as this shows great improvement, determination and maturity. Use this in your statement to your avantage. Well done in getting through such bad times and good luck in your results.
Original post by mjrd
I doubt oxford or cambridge but you never know, the rest as not so bothered by gcse results. A good personal statement goes a long way. Also as your older and have worked and got through your depression helps a great deal as this shows great improvement, determination and maturity. Use this in your statement to your avantage. Well done in getting through such bad times and good luck in your results.

Thanks man, it was a really hard time but I got my **** together and I hope I'll get something good because at the moment I'd love to go to a university like Durham or Exeter but I don't know if it is achievable
Reply 14
Thanks man, it was a really hard time but I got my **** together and I hope I'll get something good because at the moment I'd love to go to a university like Durham or Exeter but I don't know if it is achievable

You mean thanx gul lol. You should be fine with them cols. You have have done well to get through it, got a job, went back to coll and hopefully achieved top grades. No reason they wont accept you and thier loss if they do. You should be fine though. You could always ring the colls and check with them too if your really concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest