The Student Room Group

How harder does Maths become at undergraduate level compared to A-Level?

So I am have a bit of a dilemma right now. I originally wanted to study Mechanical Engineering, and I have firmed Queen Mary, but now I suddenly want to do Maths and I am unsure whether to continue with my Mechanical Engineering choice or to continue Maths into university from A-Level

I was just wondering whether I would be able to cope with the difficulty of Maths at university level. I have not done any STEPS, or really solved any "maths puzzles/problems" (although I have done some STEP questions at a lunchtime course, and I think they hard). I think after my exams, I will have achieved an A* and A at Maths and Further Maths respectively. However I do not think this will necessarily translate into coping well at Maths at an undergraduate level since to be fair, A-Level Maths is just about doing past papers and mindlessly answering questions, whereas at university it seems as if Maths is all about proofs, methods and how you go about solving a problem.

Can any undergraduate mathematician be able to give me an idea on what they do and whether I'll be suited for the course please? Thanks.
It's harder but, ultimately, if you are allured by ideas such as proof, deduction, examples/counterexamples to certain statements and maths for the sake of maths (pure maths), then you will surely enjoy the course so that any fear of being inadequate becomes obsolete.

A*A in maths and further maths is still very good; don't put yourself down. You have the right mentality, that maths is different at university (more rigorous), and that is what counts!
Harder yes, but more important it's just different. There's less emphasis on learning a method and doing it loads of times, more emphasis on memorising definitions and proofs and harder questions which require more unusual ways of thinking, at least in my experience :smile:
Much harder. More rigourous and understanding is priority.

Quick Reply

Latest