The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You have to write a short personal statement of up to 1500 characters (rather than words).

You can apply to 3 places, in order of preference.

The deadline for application is 1 February in the year you want to start. So for you, this would be 1 February 2008. This is assuming you want to study full-time - part-time applications are administered by the universities themselves.

See www.lawcabs.ac.uk for more info and a sample application form.
1500 characters... that's basically nothing!
I would say it's an exercise in being succinct.

OR

Because so many apply, it saves time.
Something short can't seriously have much bearing on your application... although both of your points make sense floyd, who knows.
Reply 5
Pretty Boy Floyd
I would say it's an exercise in being succinct.

OR

Because so many apply, it saves time.

I think both of these are probably true.
Thks Dragon. I am aware of the site. Does anyone know anyone who has already applied before? Take it is the sort of personal statement much like explaining your work experience etc?

Is there any thing different with the statement with regards to applying for law this way round? Guess its the usual explanation of why you wanted to get into law?

What advantages should one have tried to have obtained, aside to the academics obviously, in order to get on the GDL/CPE? Work experience and the usual?

Does anyone know anyone who got sponsored by a law firm during their conversion-heard its pretty rare?

Is there any website where you can find the league tables for this course? Heard there was...well somewhere where there was rating s related to the quality of the teaching.

ANY help will do!! Thks dudes!xxx
Reply 7
I think I just put some stuff about why I wanted to do law, but looking back, it probably wasn't all that good, as I hadn't done any legal work experience then. I think I talked a bit about non-legal work experience and transferable skills, plus a bit about my other interests.

I know a couple of people who got sponsored by firms for their CPE, but only 1 person on my course had sponsorship. I got my TC just after starting the LPC and was lucky to get my CPE fees paid retrospectively, but don't bank on it.

There's info about some of the course providers on the Law Society website, but it's focussed on the LPC rather than the CPE - it might still provide some useful advice, though it doesn't have anything like league tables.
Some firms pay fees retrospectively on a sliding scale, some pay 100% regardless. As in, if you passed if in the last 2 years they pay 100%, 3 years 90% etc etc. Just look around, and if you can get your TC before you go as it is v expensive. But if you can't, don't give up and not go as most people will find their TC during those years.
Thks Guys!
Dragon where have you got a TC for?! had u done a vacation placement beforehand and more specifically with that firm too?
BrunetteScarlett
Thks Guys!
Dragon where have you got a TC for?! had u done a vacation placement beforehand and more specifically with that firm too?

I'd rather not say the name of the firm here, but I didn't apply for the vac scheme, as I'd already done an informal work experience placement with that firm the previous year. I'd done several other informal placements with other firms, but no formal vac schemes.
Are big law firms ,such as those in London for instant, happy to arrange such informal arrangements? Did u have contacts within the firm? My dad has many contacts but I have always thought not to bother as I though vac placements were the only valued way of getting the experience. Thought an informal thing would be seen as a second standard to the vacation placement...and so put down in one way.

How did u go round getting such an arrangment? and do you mind me asking if it was a magic circle firm? I have a contact at NR for example amongst others but thought such a firm would not offer that.

Thanks Dragon for ur answers!
Reply 12
It depends on the firm. I know of more than one firm that ONLY does informal vacation schemes for the sons and daughters of clients etc., and does not run an organised scheme. I also know of someone who got an informal vacation scheme at a firm that has its own properly-run schemes... If you have contacts who can get you experience, I would recommend that you use them.
BrunetteScarlett
Are big law firms ,such as those in London for instant, happy to arrange such informal arrangements? Did u have contacts within the firm? My dad has many contacts but I have always thought not to bother as I though vac placements were the only valued way of getting the experience. Thought an informal thing would be seen as a second standard to the vacation placement...and so put down in one way.

How did u go round getting such an arrangment? and do you mind me asking if it was a magic circle firm? I have a contact at NR for example amongst others but thought such a firm would not offer that.

Thanks Dragon for ur answers!

It isn't a magic circle firm - in fact, it's not in London either, but is a biggish regional firm. A friend was a trainee there at the time I did the work experience... she asked her supervisor for advice and he put her onto HR who told me to send my CV. The firm didn't have a formal scheme then, but have since introduced one. Like Kerrigan, I know of people who've done informal placements at firms that have vac schemes, just because they happen to know the right people.

I'd definitely make the most of your dad's contacts, as all experience is useful, even if it isn't the type of firm you want to go to - it'll come in handy when you're in an interview explaining that you've made an informed decision about applying to that firm!

Latest

Trending

Trending