The Student Room Group

Graduate study in the US

I want to study maths and physics(theoretical physics inclusive) for a Bsc in UK and then continue my study as a graduate student in America, is this possible? Why do all the people go to the US only after Msci for a PHD? Could somebody explain to me please
Original post by 100708244
I want to study maths and physics(theoretical physics inclusive) for a Bsc in UK and then continue my study as a graduate student in America, is this possible? Why do all the people go to the US only after Msci for a PHD? Could somebody explain to me please

Because postgraduate education is organized differently in tye US: there are not that many standalone Masters degrees; instead, Masters degrees are often completed as part of a PhD program. So, you apply to and enroll in a PhD program and receive a Masters degree along the way.
Reply 2
Original post by madamemerle
Because postgraduate education is organized differently in tye US: there are not that many standalone Masters degrees; instead, Masters degrees are often completed as part of a PhD program. So, you apply to and enroll in a PhD program and receive a Masters degree along the way.

Thank for the reply!:smile: Okay, so that means I need to apply directly for a PHD after completing master degree.:tongue:
Can I take the opportunity to ask what should I prepare if I want to enter a prestigious university in US for PHD program? Many thanks!
Original post by 100708244
Thank for the reply!:smile: Okay, so that means I need to apply directly for a PHD after completing master degree.:tongue:
Can I take the opportunity to ask what should I prepare if I want to enter a prestigious university in US for PHD program? Many thanks!

You can apply directly after your Bachelors degree if you want; in fact, if you know now that ypu want to do your PhD in the US it makes sense, since you'd get funded while completing the Masters en route to the PhD. But as a UK student you may not have had enough research experience yet to make you competitive (US undergrads often work on professor's research projects with them).

PhD admissions in the US are very competitive; you need to get high grades in your undergrad (and Masters, if you do one), high scores on the general and subject GRE tests, get excellent letters of recommendation from your professors, and write aa well crafted, convincing statement of purpose that connects your previous work to the research you want to do, showing the admissions committee that you have a mature understanding of your field and where you could make a contribution to it.
Reply 4
In American universities a lot of teaching is done by grad students. A PhD there is longer and you have to work hard doing stuff that benefits your department/college and not yourself.

I never understood the logic of doing a PhD over there for five or six years when you can do a uk PhD in 3.5 years and then move to the states for postdoctoral work and a higher salary if that’s what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending