The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on tax?

Personally, I like tax, for this country at least. Britain helps its citizens a great deal, the NHS, benefits, schools, etc. Tax money goes to great things like schools and police officers. Although I don't want to fund moronic addicts that need seven organ transplants, I think that it's worth it overall. I don't understand why some people hate tax so much, if you use the NHS and other services then you should imo. I would only think it justifiable for someone not to pay tax if they were some sort of hermit that didn't use any government services whatsoever.

Scroll to see replies

Yea I think that tax is good too. As long as it's not more than people can actually afford, i'm all for it. The alternative is to have everything privatised and that's way more expensive.
Too high.

Also immoral that people do not have tax choice. (Choice of where you want your money to go)
Considering what our governments spend the money on I would argue that tax evasion in our society is a moral obligation. Better that than comply with your money going towards political lobbying for causes you disagree with.
Reply 4
I think that a flat rate tax would be the fairest way as then everyone is treated equally and plays by the same rules, with the rich still contributing the most and the poor the least.

Although I accept that a flat rate isn't practical and the way we have it now is acceptable. I personally think the long term goal should be to have low tax and a small public sector. An increase in the personal allowance to like 20k would be nice to see in the 2020 manifestos.
Original post by SotonianOne
Too high.

Also immoral that people do not have tax choice. (Choice of where you want your money to go)

Yeah, but if it was just a voluntary contribution for the Army and Police we'd all decide to sack it off and buy an ounce of coke or something on the assumption someone else would pay.
taxation is theft. but some taxation is inescapable for a functioning society/market
I think taxation should be about 10% at a flat rate for all. if it can be lower, then it should be.
yes, I'm implying that the welfare state should end.
Please refer tl Rand Paul's/ Ron Paul's tax policy for my ideal, around 10-15% seems good. Preferably less than 10% but oh well.
Original post by zippity.doodah
taxation is theft. but some taxation is inescapable for a functioning society/market
I think taxation should be about 10% at a flat rate for all. if it can be lower, then it should be.
yes, I'm implying that the welfare state should end.

Literally posted a very similiar comment. Great minds, eh?
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Literally posted a very similiar comment. Great minds, eh?

hah, nice one! and yeah ron paul is brilliant - it's a shame his son isn't as libertarian as he is
Original post by zippity.doodah
hah, nice one! and yeah ron paul is brilliant - it's a shame his son isn't as libertarian as he is

Hopefully more electable though. Ron Paul is the Murray Rothbard top his son's Milton Friedman I think. Anyway, 13.5% flat tax is better than anything higher.
Tax is theft.

Original post by Protégé
Personally, I like tax, for this country at least. Britain helps its citizens a great deal, the NHS, benefits, schools, etc. Tax money goes to great things like schools and police officers. Although I don't want to fund moronic addicts that need seven organ transplants, I think that it's worth it overall. I don't understand why some people hate tax so much, if you use the NHS and other services then you should imo. I would only think it justifiable for someone not to pay tax if they were some sort of hermit that didn't use any government services whatsoever.

If you love tax so much why don't you pay a bit more? The treasury accepts voluntary contributions you know. Why do you just pay the bare minimum you can get away with?
Original post by Protégé

I agree, I also like taxation.

I'm happy to finance those 'moronic addicts', though, because (a) I don't think we do enough to prevent addiction anyway and (b) I think a good society looks after its poorest.

I also don't think that people should have the right to opt out of taxation.

My problem with current taxation is that I believe the lowest earners should pay the least, and the highest should pay the most, which isn't the case.

Edit: I should point out that I'm talking about income tax, as I assumed that's what the OP was referring to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Certain taxes need to be abolished......the bedroom tax?
Reply 14
Tax is an inevitable part of civilised society as we know it today, the tax rate you want is probably somewhat reflective of what type of social security system you'd like. I wish people would stop generalising about different types of taxes though, a lot of people will blindly say tax is bad/good without knowing what the policy will actually entail or how it'll change the economy
I'd rather have the money in my pay cheque to be honest, anyone who says otherwise is lying, but I accept that taxation is needed. 20% is a fair rate for someone on my income bracket (£25-30k), however I think it should be lower or even scrapped entirely if you're on the minimum wage.

Council Tax is the one that really irks me. Ridiculously high rates and the threat of prosecution if you miss 1 payment? K den.
Original post by Le Nombre
Yeah, but if it was just a voluntary contribution for the Army and Police we'd all decide to sack it off and buy an ounce of coke or something on the assumption someone else would pay.

That's not what tax choice is - tax choice is when you individually decide where proportions of your tax should go. You can't reclaim back tax to your own pocket.

If you earn 20 000 gross then minus the personal allowance of 10.6k you have taxable income of 9400, of which 20% is 1880.

That 1880 should be decided upon entirely by the individual. It is immoral to take away someone's money without giving a service or product in return that the buyer demanded, it is equivalent to stealing.
If that person is an ardent nationalist and wants it all to be spent on ammo, so be it.
If that person is a thumping Christian and he wants his money to be spent on personal social services, so be it.
If that person is a worried pacifist, let him completely divert his defence funding to foreign aid.
If that person is a white supremacist, let him completely divert his foreign aid funding to defence.
If that person is a libertarian capitalist, let him completely divert his welfare spending to education
If that person is a dedicated blairite, let him completely divert his housing spending to welfare.

The only budgets that should be protected are the debt interest and public order and justice budgets. Everything else should be modifiable either fully or partly by the tax payer.

Income taxes make up less than half of government revenue so it's not like there's going to be a crisis if something gets underfunded, and if there is you can always limit tax choice to those below the Additional rate of 45%+ because people earning below 150k only pay 40% of total income tax .. so the total amount up for tax choice would be less than the total deficit today.

I'm tired of people saying "NO ONE WANTS TROOPS!!!!!!! PEACE FOR ALL!!!!" and "STOP CUTTING THE NHS!! EVERY1 LUVS IT!!!!!" - Let people speak with their money.
Original post by SotonianOne
That's not what tax choice is - tax choice is when you individually decide where proportions of your tax should go. You can't reclaim back tax to your own pocket.

If you earn 20 000 gross then minus the personal allowance of 10.6k you have taxable income of 9400, of which 20% is 1880.

That 1880 should be decided upon entirely by the individual. It is immoral to take away someone's money without giving a service or product in return that the buyer demanded, it is equivalent to stealing.
If that person is an ardent nationalist and wants it all to be spent on ammo, so be it.
If that person is a thumping Christian and he wants his money to be spent on personal social services, so be it.
If that person is a worried pacifist, let him completely divert his defence funding to foreign aid.
If that person is a white supremacist, let him completely divert his foreign aid funding to defence.
If that person is a libertarian capitalist, let him completely divert his welfare spending to education
If that person is a dedicated blairite, let him completely divert his housing spending to welfare.

The only budgets that should be protected are the debt interest and public order and justice budgets. Everything else should be modifiable either fully or partly by the tax payer.

Income taxes make up less than half of government revenue so it's not like there's going to be a crisis if something gets underfunded, and if there is you can always limit tax choice to those below the Additional rate of 45%+ because people earning below 150k only pay 40% of total income tax .. so the total amount up for tax choice would be less than the total deficit today.

I'm tired of people saying "NO ONE WANTS TROOPS!!!!!!! PEACE FOR ALL!!!!" and "STOP CUTTING THE NHS!! EVERY1 LUVS IT!!!!!" - Let people speak with their money.

Just wondering, SotonianOne- what is your opinion on universal healthcare and the NHS?
Original post by sr90
I'd rather have the money in my pay cheque to be honest, anyone who says otherwise is lying, but I accept that taxation is needed. 20% is a fair rate for someone on my income bracket (£25-30k), however I think it should be lower or even scrapped entirely if you're on the minimum wage.

Council Tax is the one that really irks me. Ridiculously high rates and the threat of prosecution if you miss 1 payment? K den.

10% tax rate only if you're earning over £30k seem fair to you? You pull basically everyone who could be in poverty out of tax and then only people can afford it pay an amount that is still very low.
Original post by 08Mercyf
Certain taxes need to be abolished......the bedroom tax?

If we are allowed to abolish building council houses too, then sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending