The Student Room Group

What is A-Level Design & Technology like ?

Hi

I am thinking of taking Design & Technology at a-level. Now I took gcse product design at school & I've got A* for my coursework & the exams went well :biggrin: So I was thinking of continuing it at a level. However product design at GCSE took so much of my time & I had so so much less time for revision for all my other subjects it really did take up a lot of time so I'm worried if i do D&T at A-Level it will greatly affect my other subjects. So I'm asking to find out , what you do in d&t & what it is like and what other career options can you go from after I would really like to design products etc, Thanks for your help. Any help would be appreciated Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I'm in the same position really although I did the gcse in resistant materials and graphic products because my school didn't offer gcse PD unfortunately but I'm told they're similar so why not. The gcses did take up a lot of time but I enjoyed doing them so much and I'm sure the a level will be the same so the workload shouldn't bother me. If you really like it, the load shouldn't be too heavy because you won't mind doing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AbbieL
I'm in the same position really although I did the gcse in resistant materials and graphic products because my school didn't offer gcse PD unfortunately but I'm told they're similar so why not. The gcses did take up a lot of time but I enjoyed doing them so much and I'm sure the a level will be the same so the workload shouldn't bother me. If you really like it, the load shouldn't be too heavy because you won't mind doing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school offered both and yes they're is not much difference except in Resistant materials you do A LOT MORE building whereas in Product Design we have 4 things to do A551 (detailed analysis & design ideas etc) , A552 (innovation challenge exam) , A553 build a product & analyse & make a diary of making & marketing etc, A554 (writing & design exam) & also in Resistant I believe you guys have an exam too so they are really similar except theres so much more writing in PD but both are very similar. I know what you mean but also in college we would have more time to focus on it but i'm not sure whether to do D&T or economics, what choices are you picking ? :smile: I'm stuck between D&T or economics otherwise im choosing Physics, Math, Chemistry im just not sure about my last option.
Reply 3
I'm doing PD, chemistry, physics and either english language or literature depending on the results in August

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Oh and a side subject in Mechanics to help with physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AbbieL
Oh and a side subject in Mechanics to help with physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are doing pretty similar subjects then :biggrin:, Good luck with your results :P Istill don't know whether I should do Design & Technology there is not much stuff online :P
Reply 6
I found that but I'm going to buy the textbook I think, I'm tempted to get ahead with all the work. Good luck with your results too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What exam board would you be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending