The Student Room Group

Going to Malaysia?

I've completed my AS and I'm at a point where I'm thinking about moving abroad, possibly to Malaysia. Before you ask, I have no allegiance to Malaysia but I guess I've always wanted to go to Asia and Malaysia seems to be a good fit. I hope to walk out of college with ABBB and could do Law at a decent uni but for some reason, I seem determined to move abroad. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
U been watching too many movies
Reply 3
its a muslim country so they will have strict laws u have to adhere too
people from malaysia are the nicest people u will meet
Reply 4
Original post by wwelol
its a muslim country so they will have strict laws u have to adhere too
people from malaysia are the nicest people u will meet

That's fine as I am Muslim but Malaysia is one of the few Muslim countries that aren't strict and welcomes multi-faiths. It's would be cheaper and the lifestyle would suit me.
My cousins recently visited Malaysia. They cannot stop telling me how good it is. Malaysian people are very nice, very welcoming. Malaysia is a very beautiful country and apparently not expensive, it's definitly cheaper than here. The lifestyle is very nice as well. The food as well!
Can you not do Law over there? Or you could move after doing Law here?
Whatever you choose to do, good luck :smile:
Reply 6
You can do Law over there and that's what I was thinking of doing. Apparently the people are really nice and thank you mate, I appreciate it.
UK is boring same old recycled bull****
bro just go and enjoy yourself YOLO.
Reply 8
Original post by itisrising
I've completed my AS and I'm at a point where I'm thinking about moving abroad, possibly to Malaysia. Before you ask, I have no allegiance to Malaysia but I guess I've always wanted to go to Asia and Malaysia seems to be a good fit. I hope to walk out of college with ABBB and could do Law at a decent uni but for some reason, I seem determined to move abroad. Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello there :hello:
I'm a malaysian and a muslim (and I live in Malaysia). If you have any questions about which universities in Malaysia etc etc, places to visit - I can recommend them to you :smile:

Also, just wondering, will you be in Malaysia alone then?
Reply 9
Original post by HSafirah
Hello there :hello:
I'm a malaysian and a muslim (and I live in Malaysia). If you have any questions about which universities in Malaysia etc etc, places to visit - I can recommend them to you :smile:

Also, just wondering, will you be in Malaysia alone then?

Ah thank you. And yeah I would be. I've heard great things about IIUM which would be great for me as English is the primary language. How's education there and any advice? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah great mate. And yeah I would be. I've great things about IIUM which would be great for me as English is the primary language. How's education there? :smile:

Actually, English is use in most of the teachings here at uni (unless you take some language classes). For international students, I would recommend private universities - simply because there are quite a number of foreign students and it would be easier to settle in (not feeling awkward).

IIUM is a really good university to study law, my friends who went there for their foundation programme were taught arabic as well, which they appreciate. My cousin graduated from there as well. I don't know about the courses there but just ask me any questions and I'll be back with answers from my friends :yes:
Reply 11
Actually, English is use in most of the teachings here at uni (unless you take some language classes). For international students, I would recommend private universities - simply because there are quite a number of foreign students and it would be easier to settle in (not feeling awkward).

IIUM is a really good university to study law, my friends who went there for their foundation programme were taught arabic as well, which they appreciate. My cousin graduated from there as well. I don't know about the courses there but just ask me any questions and I'll be back with answers from my friends :yes:

Ah thank you. How did your friends find Law? Like what did they do and is employment in Law easy in Malaysia. And which University would you say is better; IIUM or University of Malaysia? I would consider private but I love meeting people from different backgrounds and cultures and fully embracing it. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it :smile:
Ah thank you. How did your friends find Law? Like what did they do and is employment in Law easy in Malaysia. And which University would you say is better; IIUM or University of Malaysia? I would consider private but I love meeting people from different backgrounds and cultures and fully embracing it. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it :smile:

So, you've done your research I see :smile: IIUM and UM are the two top uni to study law in Malaysia - they are good public uni.

For me, I prefer IIUM compared to UM. First, the environment there is pretty islamic - which is really cool. You got quite a lot of interesting islamic programmes and classes organised by the uni itself. Plus, you feel more enthusiastic to do more islamic stuff, learning, researching. It really is an iman boosting. Not to say that UM didn't have such islamic events, but the ones in IIUM are better. For the IIUM, the campus for undergraduate is in Gombak - you can say that it is part of Kuala Lumpur (KL).

For UM, I heard a lot of issues lol. The lecturers there are excellent, but the other factors, like the bus shuttle is HORRIBLE. I've read this blog complaining about the uni hahaha just now. But it's in the malay language. The blog mentioned these;
1)horrible bus shuttle service
2)confusing subject registration session (you were forced to take the subjects from the 2nd/3rd year of your degree so as to fill in the credit hours)
3)the library collection has a lot of books from 1992,1993 etc etc (outdated) and less of the 'popular' books

My friends took the foundation for sciences subject. The foundation centre is in Petaling Jaya, which is a different place from the one that you'll be studying your degree (to recall back, in Gombak) Nevertheless, you will need to take the arabic classes no matter what foundation you take. Do you plan to take the foundation or just go straight into degree? If degree, do you want to take the LLB Law or the share'ah ones, the LLBS?

I'm not really sure about the unemployment part.. I know that they need to sit for some papers. Anyway, bear in mind that law is an interesting subject because you'll study according to the laws of the nation. When the law in Malaysia changes, so is your course. Though, I can't say much because I don't study it myself.

p/s: prepare to memorise the latin terms :wink:
Original post by KittyRe-play
UK is boring same old recycled bull****
bro just go and enjoy yourself YOLO.

A bit BRUTAL! :eek:
Reply 14

So, you've done your research I see :smile: IIUM and UM are the two top uni to study law in Malaysia - they are good public uni.

For me, I prefer IIUM compared to UM. First, the environment there is pretty islamic - which is really cool. You got quite a lot of interesting islamic programmes and classes organised by the uni itself. Plus, you feel more enthusiastic to do more islamic stuff, learning, researching. It really is an iman boosting. Not to say that UM didn't have such islamic events, but the ones in IIUM are better. For the IIUM, the campus for undergraduate is in Gombak - you can say that it is part of Kuala Lumpur (KL).

For UM, I heard a lot of issues lol. The lecturers there are excellent, but the other factors, like the bus shuttle is HORRIBLE. I've read this blog complaining about the uni hahaha just now. But it's in the malay language. The blog mentioned these;
1)horrible bus shuttle service
2)confusing subject registration session (you were forced to take the subjects from the 2nd/3rd year of your degree so as to fill in the credit hours)
3)the library collection has a lot of books from 1992,1993 etc etc (outdated) and less of the 'popular' books

My friends took the foundation for sciences subject. The foundation centre is in Petaling Jaya, which is a different place from the one that you'll be studying your degree (to recall back, in Gombak) Nevertheless, you will need to take the arabic classes no matter what foundation you take. Do you plan to take the foundation or just go straight into degree? If degree, do you want to take the LLB Law or the share'ah ones, the LLBS?

I'm not really sure about the unemployment part.. I know that they need to sit for some papers. Anyway, bear in mind that law is an interesting subject because you'll study according to the laws of the nation. When the law in Malaysia changes, so is your course. Though, I can't say much because I don't study it myself.

p/s: prepare to memorise the latin terms :wink:

I wouldn't need a foundation year, would I considering I'd come have good enough grades to get in, right? Regarding your friends that picked social sciences, was learning arabic compulosory for their course and would it be compulsory for mine? And what is the difference between the two law courses?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you again :smile:
Reply 15
That's fine as I am Muslim but Malaysia is one of the few Muslim countries that aren't strict and welcomes multi-faiths. It's would be cheaper and the lifestyle would suit me.

how r u funding ure trip to malaysia?
Reply 16
Original post by wwelol
how r u funding ure trip to malaysia?

Well I'd hope for a scholarship and I can gather some money. I'd have around 15-20K to basically live there for 3 years
I wouldn't need a foundation year, would I considering I'd come have good enough grades to get in, right? Regarding your friends that picked social sciences, was learning arabic compulosory for their course and would it be compulsory for mine? And what is the difference between the two law courses?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you again :smile:

I'm really sorry for the late reply. I don't mind the questions :biggrin:

None of my friends took their foundation in social sciences - my friends are interested in taking the foundation for biomed, engineering. Nevertheless, if you take the IIUM foundation, be it the pure sciences or social sciences, it is compulsory for you to learn arabic. Don't worry, you'll learn arabic up to band 2 (I forgot the total band.. Either 4/6). Your grades are fine, you can always contact the uni for confirmation :yy:

The Shariah law (LLBS) course, basically, you learn the laws that Allah set for us. You are required to memorise and learn hadiths, be familiar with Quranic verses.. So that you can settle matters such as divorce or the splitting of wealth/land in the court. The LLB is the normal law course, the one that deals with civil issues.

If you take the LLBS, you're doing a double degree. You will get both the LLB and the LLBS. There's an additional one academic year for shariah course. BUT, for the LLBS, you need to have at least Band 4 in arabic (Hence, the IIUM foundation). A test will be conducted to see your level in arabic - no worries, they'll prepare an extra arabic preparation class for you, should you need any.

If you want a shariah qualification, but you do not want to study LLBS, you can still take the diploma in shariah after you graduate your LLB.

For LLB, the classes will use English. You'll ace that course inshaAllah. Provided you study smart and hard for it yeah.

Anyway, Malaysia is pretty hot considering you live in the UK. It might take some time for you to adjust to the weather haha. Embrace the culture as well (or be shocked at it)- I'm sure some of the things here in Malaysia will be quite new to you. Just pray to Allah for guidance and approach the people if you need any help. :smile:
Reply 18
I'm really sorry for the late reply. I don't mind the questions :biggrin:

None of my friends took their foundation in social sciences - my friends are interested in taking the foundation for biomed, engineering. Nevertheless, if you take the IIUM foundation, be it the pure sciences or social sciences, it is compulsory for you to learn arabic. Don't worry, you'll learn arabic up to band 2 (I forgot the total band.. Either 4/6). Your grades are fine, you can always contact the uni for confirmation :yy:

The Shariah law (LLBS) course, basically, you learn the laws that Allah set for us. You are required to memorise and learn hadiths, be familiar with Quranic verses.. So that you can settle matters such as divorce or the splitting of wealth/land in the court. The LLB is the normal law course, the one that deals with civil issues.

If you take the LLBS, you're doing a double degree. You will get both the LLB and the LLBS. There's an additional one academic year for shariah course. BUT, for the LLBS, you need to have at least Band 4 in arabic (Hence, the IIUM foundation). A test will be conducted to see your level in arabic - no worries, they'll prepare an extra arabic preparation class for you, should you need any.

If you want a shariah qualification, but you do not want to study LLBS, you can still take the diploma in shariah after you graduate your LLB.

For LLB, the classes will use English. You'll ace that course inshaAllah. Provided you study smart and hard for it yeah.

Anyway, Malaysia is pretty hot considering you live in the UK. It might take some time for you to adjust to the weather haha. Embrace the culture as well (or be shocked at it)- I'm sure some of the things here in Malaysia will be quite new to you. Just pray to Allah for guidance and approach the people if you need any help. :smile:

Jazakallahu khairan sister, much appreciated :smile:

Just to clarify, would I need to do a foundation course for the LLB and have
sufficient arabic? Or, as it is taught in English, would that be all I need? If I did take the diploma for shariah after (inshAllah) I graduate, how many years would that be and I need sufficient arabic only then?

I don't think I'd have much of an issue getting acclimated with Malaysian weather haha. I was born in Spain and I've been to many countries e.g. Saudi, Egypt and Yemen where, alhamdulilah, my body got used to it. Just one more thing, do you happen to know how scholarships work in Malaysia and if I'd be eligble? Does it depend on each Uni? And do you happen to know how I could contact IIUM by email?

Again, sorry for so many questions, just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible haha. Jazakallahu khairan sister for your help :biggrin:
Jazakallahu khairan sister, much appreciated :smile:

Just to clarify, would I need to do a foundation course for the LLB and have
sufficient arabic? Or, as it is taught in English, would that be all I need? If I did take the diploma for shariah after (inshAllah) I graduate, how many years would that be and I need sufficient arabic only then?

I don't think I'd have much of an issue getting acclimated with Malaysian weather haha. I was born in Spain and I've been to many countries e.g. Saudi, Egypt and Yemen where, alhamdulilah, my body got used to it. Just one more thing, do you happen to know how scholarships work in Malaysia and if I'd be eligble? Does it depend on each Uni? And do you happen to know how I could contact IIUM by email?

Again, sorry for so many questions, just trying to gain as much knowledge as possible haha. Jazakallahu khairan sister for your help :biggrin:

I don't think you would need to do the foundation course... I think so. Anyway, be safe and ask them lol. Here's the contact;

[QUOTED][h="2"]Undergraduate Admissions[/h][h="3"]Mailing Address[/h]Admissions and Records Section,
Academic Management and Admission Division,
International Islamic University Malaysia,
P.O. Box 10,
53100 Kuala Lumpur,
MALAYSIA
Telephone: (+603) 6196 4000 ext. 4043/4048/4045
Fax: (+603) 6196 4160
Email: [email protected]

[/QUOTED]

The diploma for shariah have 3 semesters (approximately 1 and a half year). Unfortunately, the medium of teaching is malay. I didn't realise that earlier - sorry. The postgraduate programme are either taught in english+arabic, english alone, malay+arabic, or just malay.

Have a look at one of it, you can pretty much browse from the left side of the page: http://www.iium.edu.my/hmhlawcentre/about-us/programmes-courses/postgraduate-programme/llm-administration-islamic-law

It does depend on each uni for scholarships. Some are available for foreigners as well. But, I am not familiar which sponsoring bodies do so. Personally, I love using this website to keep track of what scholarships are available for me to apply - maybe you can check the site as well:
http://afterschool.my/scholarship/

Btw, IIUM have this link which you can read too: http://www.iium.edu.my/admissions/scholarships

^But from what I see, a lot are for the malaysians.. Hmm. Maybe you can email the uni and ask them about the scholarships as well.

If that is the case, I think you'll survive in Malaysia with the either rainy/sunny climate :yy: :biggrin:

Jazakallahu khairan brother, :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest