The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Applying after a gap year.

A-levels: A*A*A*A
AS: AAAA
GCSE: 5A* 2A 3B

How hard is it to get an LSE offer for Economcis without FM? (One A* was in Maths)
Original post by KIDO123

How hard is it to get an LSE offer for Economcis without FM? (One A* was in Maths)

Very possible with those results
Reply 63
What are peoples opinions on Durham and Nottingham for Econ? Which would you say is better?
Original post by econam
What are peoples opinions on Durham and Nottingham for Econ? Which would you say is better?

I went to the Durham open day and absolutely hated the town as a place so that may be something to consider. It's tiny and there's nothing to do there, accommodation is hardly great either, even by uni standards. And I'm sure this isn't the case, but I didn't talk to a single student the whole day who wasn't reasonably posh/rich. However I'm sure Durham is better for Econ if you're talking rankings and league tables. Durham has a higher reputation as a whole, I'd say.
Original post by C0pper
I went to the Durham open day and absolutely hated the town as a place so that may be something to consider. It's tiny and there's nothing to do there, accommodation is hardly great either, even by uni standards. And I'm sure this isn't the case, but I didn't talk to a single student the whole day who wasn't reasonably posh/rich. However I'm sure Durham is better for Econ if you're talking rankings and league tables. Durham has a higher reputation as a whole, I'd say.

What five are you applying for? I'm thinking camb lse warwick ucl bath tbh
Original post by BBeyond
What five are you applying for? I'm thinking camb lse warwick ucl bath tbh

Those exact five :lol: might swap Bristol in but I'm pretty set on those for now
Reply 67
Original post by C0pper

Alright something to consider! I'm going to the open day this sept so I guess I'll see how I feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0pper
Those exact five :lol: might swap Bristol in but I'm pretty set on those for now

Haha no way :redface: haven't really considered Bristol but suppose I'll check it out

You done with your PS yet?
Original post by BBeyond
Haha no way :redface: haven't really considered Bristol but suppose I'll check it out

You done with your PS yet?

My cousin went there, I thought she liked it but I told her I was applying and she said not to, she hated it :confused: I'm certain of Camb, LSE, UCL and Warwick, then Bath is so gorgeous and lovely and Bristol is, well Bristol.

Done most of it, need to get a better introduction written and also find space to write about extracurricular/talk to teachers about just leaving out most extracurricular. Oh and I should probably check it doesn't get cut off because of the line limit, I've only done characters so far. Have to give it in next week along with the rest of the UCAS form completed so starting to worry a bit :s-smilie: you?
Original post by C0pper
My cousin went there, I thought she liked it but I told her I was applying and she said not to, she hated it :confused: I'm certain of Camb, LSE, UCL and Warwick, then Bath is so gorgeous and lovely and Bristol is, well Bristol.

Done most of it, need to get a better introduction written and also find space to write about extracurricular/talk to teachers about just leaving out most extracurricular. Oh and I should probably check it doesn't get cut off because of the line limit, I've only done characters so far. Have to give it in next week along with the rest of the UCAS form completed so starting to worry a bit :s-smilie: you?

Maybe I'll stick with the initial plan then :tongue: What would our lowest offer be for those 5? Can't remember if Bath is A*AA or AAA :frown:

Sounds like yours is going better than mine :tongue: I've done the 2nd parapgraph but that's it, gunna try finish it before the end of this week so I can get it checked. Our stuff is due in by the end of September I think.
Original post by BBeyond
Maybe I'll stick with the initial plan then :tongue: What would our lowest offer be for those 5? Can't remember if Bath is A*AA or AAA :frown:

Sounds like yours is going better than mine :tongue: I've done the 2nd parapgraph but that's it, gunna try finish it before the end of this week so I can get it checked. Our stuff is due in by the end of September I think.

They're all A*AA or higher, sob. What are we letting ourselves in for?

It's written but it's awful so I doubt it's better than yours! Starting to worry that I've listed some complicated books/research papers so that might be a problem at interview, I need to find out whether to change it (which I don't want to) or whether they'll realise it's really technical stuff and let me off a bit.
Original post by C0pper
They're all A*AA or higher, sob. What are we letting ourselves in for?

It's written but it's awful so I doubt it's better than yours! Starting to worry that I've listed some complicated books/research papers so that might be a problem at interview, I need to find out whether to change it (which I don't want to) or whether they'll realise it's really technical stuff and let me off a bit.

**** that is kinda crazy actually :redface: You reckon that's too high aha? We haven't really got a backup option :tongue:

I just have no motivation to write it :frown: I keep meaning to do it every night but always put it off. Hmm I'd probs leave them in but just go over them before the interview so you at least have a basic idea :tongue:
Original post by BBeyond
**** that is kinda crazy actually :redface: You reckon that's too high aha? We haven't really got a backup option :tongue:

I just have no motivation to write it :frown: I keep meaning to do it every night but always put it off. Hmm I'd probs leave them in but just go over them before the interview so you at least have a basic idea :tongue:

I asked teachers and they were happy for me to apply for those 5, without wanting to sound arrogant I'm pretty confident of at least two A*s (maths & econ) and if you're applying to Cambridge I'm guessing the same for you. Just go for it and pray you don't have any bad exam days :lol:

I get you with the whole motivation thing, it took me so long to finally decide to sit down and get mine written. I think I'll leave them in because I'm too lazy to take them out and replace them they fit in nicely with what I've written. Guess I'll just have to learn lots of advanced economics over the next few months!
Original post by KIDO123

you should get in however if u wished to be certain it could be prudent to do an as in your gap year.
Hello,My as results are AAAB, and my subject are maths, chemistry, biology and English language. I decided to drop biology even though I got an A in that and took on English language because I thought it would be better for my course. However my predictions are now AAB, as my English teacher won't predict me higher. If I now dropped English and took biology my predictions would be AAA. Is it preferable to do English or biology?
Reply 76
Do you think the University of Manchester will allow BBB A-Level for entry into the Economics and Politics course? Southampton's entry requirements are BBB (if studying politics a-level or get an A in EPQ, and I'm doing both). Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
I'm thinking camb lse warwick ucl bath tbh

Original post by C0pper
I'm certain of Camb, LSE, UCL and Warwick, then Bath is so gorgeous and lovely and Bristol is, well Bristol.

I'm applying to exactly the same universities - Camb, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath! :tongue:

All of their requirements are at least A*AA right? Are you guys OK without having a proper "insurance" choice grades wise? I'm a little nervous about it but tbh if I had to go to any other university out of those five I'd probably take a gap year!
Original post by Nijuuninichi
I'm applying to exactly the same universities - Camb, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bath! :tongue:

All of their requirements are at least A*AA right? Are you guys OK without having a proper "insurance" choice grades wise? I'm a little nervous about it but tbh if I had to go to any other university out of those five I'd probably take a gap year!

I'm fine with it but my teachers are not. Well actually my teachers are and my careers/uni advisor is but my Head of Sixth is not. The only other places I'd want to go other than those 5 are possibly Bristol or Exeter but those aren't any lower. I won't use an AAA uni as my insurance and if I don't get offers from any of Camb/LSE/UCL/Warwick, I'll probably reapply next year (Bath is lovely but I'm not 100% sure I want to go there, if you get me). Plus I already have A* Maths so I'm not sure how that will affect the standard offers.
Original post by Nijuuninichi

Yeah I'm cool with it if I somehow completely ****ed up every subject and couldn't manage a single A* then I'd probs resit or do something else anyway rather than go to a AAA uni. Not sure if my school will let me though to be fair I haven't actually told them yet but I guess it isn't up to them anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending