The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2016

Seeing as there's no thread for economics applicants for 2016 entry, this thread can be used for anything related applying for economics at university, including where you want to apply, personal statement tips etc etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This thread would be extremely helpful! I am looking to study Mathematics and Economics (Joint Honours) at either LSE or Uni of Notts.
Reply 2
Been waiting for this thread:smile: I'm hoping to apply for straight economics.

Anyone been to any open days yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by econam
Been waiting for this thread:smile: I'm hoping to apply for straight economics.

Anyone been to any open days yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah not yet, don't think i will tbh
Original post by m.abdu98
nah not yet, don't think i will tbh

Please please visit the unis - you don't want to spend 3 years being miserable
Reply 5
anyone know where KCL would rank? don't see them on the tables
Original post by m.abdu98
anyone know where KCL would rank? don't see them on the tables

I wouldnt rate them too highly (not top 10). they offer economics & management and its a new course.
Reply 7
I have visited Oxford, LSE and Nottingham so far!

Oxford - A very good University, although very traditional which I did not like too much in my opinion as I prefer all modern technology etc and cool architecture. Although the lecturer was incredibly good! If you are looking to be around very academic students, who are very polite (not all snobbish as stereotyped) although they are still well spoken, which I did like! They do also build strong communities within the colleges, therefore can see why it is ranked so highly!

LSE - Similar to the way in which there are many highly achieving students studying here! Although again very friendly and welcoming! The lecturer I saw explaining the economics course seemed to know her stuff very well, having studied the economic activity during the russian soviet periods. Although this is a city university and therefore, due to being in London could be very costly. Although the opportunities they provide with public speakers are second to none and I was very impressed by this!

Uni of Nottingham - Probably my favourite to visit in terms of the environment for studying and student life! The lecturer seemed very intelligent and was a very good speaker in front of people! It also offered great learning facilities to study in some very nice and modern buildings! Accommodation was also a lot better than previously seen. A strong community feel on a campus based uni with many trees and greenland which creates less of a diverse environment! A place I would very much like to study at!

Hope this helps!
Original post by Mike_123
I wouldnt rate them too highly (not top 10). they offer economics & management and its a new course.

I was looking into that course and found nothing about it, is it new for 2016 entry?

Is it risky to apply for it because we dont know how good they are for economics?
Well, I applied for economics last year (hopefully starting this year). I'd be happy to help or answer any questions!
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Well, I applied for economics last year (hopefully starting this year). I'd be happy to help or answer any questions!

Hey, where did you apply for Economics? :smile:
Also, do I have to mention economic books in my PS? I haven't read any so far
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Hey, where did you apply for Economics? :smile:
Also, do I have to mention economic books in my PS? I haven't read any so far

Oxford, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol. Got all of them but Oxford.
I wrote about Capital in the 21st century, that's all. Mostly talked about relevant economic issues.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Oxford, Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol. Got all of them but Oxford.
I wrote about Capital in the 21st century, that's all. Mostly talked about relevant economic issues.

Which ones did you firm and insure?
And what exactly did you talk about from the book? :smile:
I was looking into that course and found nothing about it, is it new for 2016 entry?

Is it risky to apply for it because we dont know how good they are for economics?

I think it started last year

Exactly my sentiments

edit: just seen the course details and it doesnt seem that rigorous
(edited 8 years ago)
Which ones did you firm and insure?
And what exactly did you talk about from the book? :smile:

Warwick firm, Bristol insurance.
The whole book's on inequality, so I used some arguments from the book and spun it into a way that allowed for me to relate it to A level, and slightly beyond, as far as I knew at the time.
Original post by Mike_123
I think it started last year

Exactly my sentiments

edit: just seen the course details and it doesnt seem that rigorous

What about the course details makes you think its not rigorous? Is it worth applying to?
What about the course details makes you think its not rigorous? Is it worth applying to?

go to the open day if you are unsure
Reply 17
Hey guys applying for straight economics/economics and maths, but haven't made my mind up.

Is anyone doing an EPQ related to economics? I am hoping to but not sure what to chose, I was thinking of something to do with poverty and how it impacts many different areas, eg health,education etc, but I am not sure whether that is on the A level spec for economics.
Also is it likely I will be rejected for maths and economics if I haven't taken further maths A level?
Reply 18
Original post by ozzie2
Hey guys applying for straight economics/economics and maths, but haven't made my mind up.

Is anyone doing an EPQ related to economics? I am hoping to but not sure what to chose, I was thinking of something to do with poverty and how it impacts many different areas, eg health,education etc, but I am not sure whether that is on the A level spec for economics.
Also is it likely I will be rejected for maths and economics if I haven't taken further maths A level?

I'd say do further maths to at least AS and maybe consider step if you are thinking about Maths and Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending