The Student Room Group

stockbroker-no economics?

I have just sat my AS levels in further maths, maths, physics and computing and have recently realised that my preferred career would be a stockbroker. This interest has developed recently so I'm lacking a lot of knowledge but this type of career seems ideal for me. If anybody knows any good sources of information about this type of career I would definitely love to hear about them. My major concern is that I have never studied economics or business... are these essential to get a necessary degree (i.e. investment management)? Grades: my GCSE grades are very good, I have yet to get my AS/A2 results.
Don't need economics, you can pick that up at university.

Just make sure your maths is solid. Do as much maths as you can, linear algebra, statistical regression, time series, all of that
will help you as a stockbroker.
Economics isn't really a pre-requisite for anything. At worst it raises the question of why at 15 or 16 you'd not settled on a career related to finance, which is entirely forgiveable. As long as you've got maths (and preferably further maths if possible and you're aiming at the top unis) then you're set.
They don't care mate. I mean you'll be expected to have at least an A at GCSE maths but studying economics isn't necessary (though it may help). Business is a joke and won't do you any favours at the top firms in my experience.
Take a BSc in mathematics, then move into Finance/Economics for the MSc.
Original post by physics_maths7
I have just sat my AS levels in further maths, maths, physics and computing and have recently realised that my preferred career would be a stockbroker. This interest has developed recently so I'm lacking a lot of knowledge but this type of career seems ideal for me. If anybody knows any good sources of information about this type of career I would definitely love to hear about them. My major concern is that I have never studied economics or business... are these essential to get a necessary degree (i.e. investment management)? Grades: my GCSE grades are very good, I have yet to get my AS/A2 results.

Not sure about a career in stockbroking exactly, I'll leave that to a more informed individual. However you definitely do not need to have studied economics to become a stockbroker, stockbroking requires basically zero knowledge of economic theory.

For degrees to get, I don't think Investment Management is a degree you can do at University? Correct me if I am wrong. To go into Investment Banking usually any degree is fine, however judging from your a-levels you're probably looking to go into a technical degree which will be perfect for stockbroking, and other area's of finance if you feel stockbroking isn't for you.
Thanks for the RAPID responses! im currently 17 and my heads all over the place due to the fact that in 6 months I will have to have confirmed my university choices which will probably dictate the rest of my life :eek:
Are there any particular courses I should look at or could I even enter this career path with a maths degree from a good university?
Original post by physics_maths7
Thanks for the RAPID responses! im currently 17 and my heads all over the place due to the fact that in 6 months I will have to have confirmed my university choices which will probably dictate the rest of my life :eek:
Are there any particular courses I should look at or could I even enter this career path with a maths degree from a good university?

Do a maths degree and then branch out.

The BSc is all for a solid foundation. You can pick up investment knowledge like the CAPM model, APT model, Mean Variance Frontier all in the MSc. Just make sure you do the right modules in the BSc, so stuff like Linear Algebra, anything and everything in Statistics and the Financial Maths modules.
Original post by EPluribus Unum
Do a maths degree and then branch out.

The BSc is all for a solid foundation. You can pick up investment knowledge like the CAPM model, APT model, Mean Variance Frontier all in the MSc. Just make sure you do the right modules in the BSc, so stuff like Linear Algebra, anything and everything in Statistics and the Financial Maths modules.

You could probably pick up that knowledge in the BSc as well. It's all covered in the corporate finance module I study at university (Im a 1st year Economics) however BSc Maths students have the option to take that corporate finance module in 2nd year.
Original post by Fas
You could probably pick up that knowledge in the BSc as well. It's all covered in the corporate finance module I study at university (Im a 1st year Economics) however BSc Maths students have the option to take that corporate finance module in 2nd year.

Wow, I'm surprised Corporate Finance would cover that. Corporate Finance is usually trying to explain the fight between Debt and Equity financing of a company.

I've done a Finance related MSc and I found the maths in the Finance modules to be very simple, nothing compared to a rigour of a maths degree.

Stuff like Time Series would help a lot in analysing trends.
Wow, I'm surprised Corporate Finance would cover that. Corporate Finance is usually trying to explain the fight between Debt and Equity financing of a company.

I've done a Finance related MSc and I found the maths in the Finance modules to be very simple, nothing compared to a rigour of a maths degree.

Stuff like Time Series would help a lot in analysing trends.

Yeah, ours involved a lot of that, so finding a company's optimal capital structure (so trade-off theory/pecking order theory etc) and the optimal leverage ratio, but also had everything you said, stuff like the CAPM, Mean Variance Frontier, ATP model, WACC, Time value of money etc.

Personally I thought it was really hard haha, think Ive managed to get my head round it however I'll see when results come out!
Original post by Fas
Yeah, ours involved a lot of that, so finding a company's optimal capital structure (so trade-off theory/pecking order theory etc) and the optimal leverage ratio, but also had everything you said, stuff like the CAPM, Mean Variance Frontier, ATP model, WACC, Time value of money etc.

Personally I thought it was really hard haha, think Ive managed to get my head round it however I'll see when results come out!

That's a lot for 1st year at uni, where are you studying?
That's a lot for 1st year at uni, where are you studying?

Yeah I thought so too. I don't think we covered these topics as deep as an MSc would go, my impression is that we were just 'scratching the surface' so to speak, but not too sure haha. University of Bath :smile:
Original post by Fas
Yeah I thought so too. I don't think we covered these topics as deep as an MSc would go, my impression is that we were just 'scratching the surface' so to speak, but not too sure haha. University of Bath :smile:

That is more than scratching the surface. I did an MSc at QMUL and we covered that stuff. Unis needed to become more regulated, you can pull a 2:1 and the standards of degrees are vastly different.
With subjects such as Math, FMath, Comp and Phys you might want to consider something entirely different than fighting over the usual 'financial economics' degrees in the city.

Have a read about Computational Finance.

The University of Essex does a B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. in the subject which is based in the Department of Electrical Engineering.

A Ph.D. would be ideal for going on to work in fixed income and the hedge fund world! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending