The Student Room Group

US and UK top 10 Universities/ Colleges with the best reputation comparison!!

Hey everyone! I opened an account to ask a few questions. So, I'm from the US and have decided to come to the UK to do my undergraduate in Mathematics :smile: I want to compare and see peoples reactions over here, whether you disagree or agree! In terms of reputation, these are the following 10 colleges (not in order) in the US that are the most talked about:

1. Harvard
2. Princeton
3. Yale
4. Brown
5. Columbia
6. MIT
7. Pennsylvania
8. Dartmouth
9. Cornell
10. CalTech

(I didn't add Stanford the first time, which was quite stupid ever since my Mother went there, hard to forget if anything! So therefore, my list would essentially be top 11).

and in the US, the top 10 universities we tend to usually talk about from the UK (that we believe have the most impressive reputation) are, in no particular order:

1. Oxford (Daddy went :smile:)
2. Cambridge
3. LSE
4. Imperial
5. Durham
6. Warwick (see you this October, hey!)
7. UCL (my cousin is going)
8. Bristol (my sister is going)
9. Edinburgh
10. KCL (is my second option)

Is this the case in the UK too?

The UK universities I mentioned are the universities we Americans tend to go for. Do you go for the same US universities that I listed?

Thanks for reading!

P.S: I am not asking what universities are better, that of the US to UK, I'm asking what universities have the best reputation, these are the ones that I know that do at my school. #LovingLondonRightNow

P.S.2: Guys, remember, after reading some replies I will explain myself. I have been to quite a few events around 6 different states, alongside the domestic school events, that explain what universities students with the best gpa go for. The universities I mentioned are NOT in order and a part from Oxbridge, they are deemed equally represented :smile:. I have done internships with (3 months) Merrill Lynch, who's UK bankers were predominantly from Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, and at Barclays (2 weeks), who's US AND UK bankers were from the names listed above (the people that I met).

Thanks guys for all your responses! It's nice to hear your opinions! No arguments please :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I somehow doubt that Stanford and Chicago aren't considered amongst the top 10 in the US.
Also is this a list according to you or some rankings, survey etc?

Can't talk about the ten most reputable US universities and not include Stanford, Chicago and Berkeley. Dartmouth and Brown are great but indeed borrow very heavily from their Ivy League affiliation which tends to portray them in a far exaggerated standing than they truly deserve though Tuck Business School and both medical schools are highly reputable.

I would say the top ten in the US considering both undergrad, postgrad, national and global and peer/employer review rankings are (in no order):

1) Harvard
2) MIT
3) Stanford
4) Yale
5) Princeton
6)Caltech
7) Columbia
8) Pennsylvania
9) Chicago
10) Berkeley

But tbh it should really be a top 15 to include Dartmouth, Brown, UCLA, Duke, Michigan or 17 for Northwestern and Georgetown.

In the UK you are pretty much accurate though I would inclined to remove Durham from the list in favour Manchester. The former is great for undergrad but the latter has a far stronger global reputation even here in the US and in Asia. People on TSR seem to really been keen on Durham when in fairness except for a handful of undergraduate courses, it's really nothing special and if anything gets the attention because it's an old-ish university with a collegiate system like Oxbridge and hence is paraded around as some "Oxbridge lite" college.

Best 10 in the UK all rankings and reviews considered (in no order):

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial
4) LSE
5) UCL
6) King's College London
7) Edinburgh
8) Bristol
9) Manchester
10) Warwick

Would be tempted to include Glasgow, Nottingham, Birmingham. The rest of the Russell Groups are really quite insignificant in a global standing. St Andrew's is great for undergrad and certain humanities subjects and of course borrows heavily from the fact a certain Prince went there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't see this thread ending well, mods be on your toes for when LutherVan and Mr.Roxas start arguing again
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Also is this a list according to you or some rankings, survey etc?

Can't talk about the ten most reputable US universities and not include Stanford, Chicago and Berkeley. Dartmouth and Brown are great but indeed borrow very heavily from their Ivy League affiliation which tends to portray them in a far exaggerated standing than they truly deserve though Tuck Business School and both medical schools are highly reputable.

I would say the top ten in the US considering both undergrad, postgrad, national and global and peer/employer review rankings are (in no order):

1) Harvard
2) MIT
3) Stanford
4) Yale
5) Princeton
6)Caltech
7) Columbia
8) Pennsylvania
9) Chicago
10) Berkeley

But tbh it should really be a top 15 to include Dartmouth, Brown, UCLA, Duke, Michigan or 17 for Northwestern and Georgetown.

In the UK you are pretty much accurate though I would inclined to remove Durham from the list in favour Manchester. The former is great for undergrad but the latter has a far stronger global reputation even here in the US and in Asia. People on TSR seem to really been keen on Durham when in fairness except for a handful of undergraduate courses, it's really nothing special and if anything gets the attention because it's an old-ish university with a collegiate system like Oxbridge and hence is paraded around as some "Oxbridge lite" college.

Best 10 in the UK all rankings and reviews considered (in no order):

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial
4) LSE
5) UCL
6) King's College London
7) Edinburgh
8) Bristol
9) Manchester
10) Warwick

Would be tempted to include Glasgow, Nottingham, Birmingham. The rest of the Russell Groups are really quite insignificant in a global standing. St Andrew's is great for undergrad and certain humanities subjects and of course borrows heavily from the fact a certain Prince went there.

Oh you didn't remove the stuff about Durham, you just juggled it around. What is Manchester better at than Durham?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
Oh you didn't remove the stuff about Durham, you just juggled it around. What is Manchester better at than Durham?

In most of the top subjects/programmes e.g. Medicine/Science, Engineering, Business etc. Manchester by far has a bigger global reputation than Durham.

Also take a look at lists of Nobel Laureate affiliations etc, Manchester has the 4th highest number in the UK, more than Imperial, Michigan, Brown, Dartmouth, Duke, UCLA, UTokyo, UKyoto all of whom are world-class institutions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would agree with your UK list, but don't know much about US universities/colleges - from what I hear talked about I would put MIT slightly higher.

On a separate note - I've just finished my UG in maths at Warwick, are you looking forward to starting?
Original post by TheIrrational
Would agree with your UK list, but don't know much about US universities/colleges - from what I hear talked about I would put MIT slightly higher.

On a separate note - I've just finished my UG in maths at Warwick, are you looking forward to starting?

She did say the list wasn't in order. If it was you'd be hard pressed to rank MIT below 2.
Thanks for your responses everyone! It is great to hear what you have to think :smile: From what I see, I probably should change the world "reputation" to "popular". This is because, during high school and all the corporate events I attended, the colleges/unis I mentioned were deemed as the elite and hardest to get into, of which everyone would apply for, and as I grew up, the words never changed. I see that it is different elsewhere. What is wrong about Durham? I don't have that much knowledge of where Durham lies, I just know that I hear about it quite a lot- and that it is very popular over in the US as a target (as well as the other universities mentioned).

AND YES, THE LISTS I WROTE WEREN'T IN ORDER! Just the first that slipped through my mind :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
To me:

US -
1. Harvard
2. MIT
3. Stanford
4. Yale
5. UC Berkeley
6. Princeton
7. Columbia
8. Chicago
9. Johns Hopkins
10. CalTech

UK -
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. LSE
4. Imperial
5. UCL
6. Edinburgh
7. King's
8. Manchester
9. St Andrew's
10. Warwick

Outside of US/UK -
1. McGill
2. Toronto
3. ANU
4. Sydney
5. Tokyo
6. Tsinghua Uni
7. Peking Uni
8. HKU
9. NUS
10. Melbourne
She did say the list wasn't in order. If it was you'd be hard pressed to rank MIT below 2.

Ah I overlooked that! Never mind! Out of interest, what makes you think about putting Birmingham in top 10 for the UK?
AND I SHOULD HAVE PUT IN STANFORD!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDNT!! MY MOTHER WENT STANFORD!!! I guess that would make it go from top 10 to top 11.
Ah I overlooked that! Never mind! Out of interest, what makes you think about putting Birmingham in top 10 for the UK?

Birmingham a large, civic university which is strong across most departments, good research endowment, all round solid institution and has a good reputation outside of the UK. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 but do regard it higher than St Andrew's and Durham globally.
Birmingham a large, civic university which is strong across most departments, good research endowment, all round solid institution and has a good reputation outside of the UK. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 but do regard it higher than St Andrew's and Durham globally.

I see, I suppose how you would rank universities within the UK and globally would differ then.

I'm just fairly happy Warwick has made peoples lists so far!
In most of the top subjects/programmes e.g. Medicine/Science, Engineering, Business etc. Manchester by far has a bigger global reputation than Durham.

Also take a look at lists of Nobel Laureate affiliations etc, Manchester has the 4th highest number in the UK, more than Imperial, Michigan, Brown, Dartmouth, Duke, UCLA, UTokyo, UKyoto all of whom are world-class institutions.

Do you have anything to back up the assertion that Manchester has the better courses for the most in-demand subjects? In most of the mainstream rankings, Durham isn't mentioned for Medicine or Engineering. For business, Durham is ranked higher and even for the a course I thought was better at Manchester, physics, it is ranker higher at Durham than Manchester (with both higher standard entry and higher rate of employment after (which is unreliable but still)).

The whole thing seems to predicated upon global prestige, which is one thing. However, OP asked simply which are the top 10 unis. It's quite myopic, I daresay, to leave Durham out of the top 10.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Little Toy Gun
To me:

Outside of US/UK -
1. McGill
2. Toronto
3. ANU
4. Sydney
5. Tokyo
6. Tsinghua Uni
7. Peking Uni
8. HKU
9. NUS
10. Melbourne

If those are in order I would put UTokyo top of that list and I would have included UKyoto too. In fact both of those at the top. Toronto above McGill, wouldn't include Sydney or Melbourne or Peking. Would have included ETH Zurich and UCopenhagen.

Could make a case for Trinity College Dublin which does enjoy a high reputation but that is mainly from history/the past given it really lacks serious research funds to impose itself on global rankings.

Waseda is another I could argue on behalf but beyond Business Studies it's tricky. Keio is another.

I can't wait! I am soooooo excited! The course looks extremely crazy, however, I love the modules that can be chosen :smile: I am attending Warwick with three American friends, one is doing Economics, another doing Engineering and another doing History of Art. How did you find Maths? And do you know anyone else who did the other courses?
If those are in order I would put UTokyo top of that list and I would have included UKyoto too. In fact both of those at the top. Toronto above McGill, wouldn't include Sydney or Melbourne or Peking. Would have included ETH Zurich and UCopenhagen.

Could make a case for Trinity College Dublin which does enjoy a high reputation but that is mainly from history/the past given it really lacks serious research funds to impose itself on global rankings.

Waseda is another I could argue on behalf but beyond Business Studies it's tricky. Keio is another.

Ahh I forgot about ETH Zurich. Yeah, I'd put it in the Top 10. I don't think Kyoto is top any more. Peking is more about the history. Sydney is probably most prestigious in Australia despite being behind ANU on the league tables.
Original post by callum_law
Do you have anything to back up the assertion that Manchester has the better courses for the most in-demand subjects? In most of the mainstream rankings, Durham isn't mentioned for Medicine or Engineering. For business, Durham is ranked higher and even for the a course I thought was better at Manchester, physics, it is ranker higher at Durham than Manchester (with both higher standard entry and higher rate of employment after (which is unreliable but still)).

The whole thing seems to predicated upon global prestige, which is one thing. However, OP asked simply which are the top 10 unis. It's quite myopic, I daresay, to leave Durham out of the top 10.

Durham does offer Medicine in collaboration with Newcastle I believe. MBS certainly has a much higher reputation outside of the UK than DBS.

I assumed the point of this was discuss the top UK universities when considering all factors including domestic and global reputation and even then Manchester would edge out Durham. Durham has for some reason been moulded into this "Oxbridge Rejects" dumping ground which has over-inflated the average grades of entering students and paints a fake picture of the university's standing in the UK and beyond. It's a great university but not a world beater. Heck I wouldn't say Manchester is a world beater. By that I mean universities which are truly world class, known everywhere as amongst the best in that respective country and represent high academic standards and high quality graduates. The only UK universities that can claim that are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and LSE to be honest. UCL just falls short as does Edinburgh.

The rest are all pretty good but nothing special like Ivy League special.
Durham does offer Medicine in collaboration with Newcastle I believe. MBS certainly has a much higher reputation outside of the UK than DBS.

I assumed the point of this was discuss the top UK universities when considering all factors including domestic and global reputation and even then Manchester would edge out Durham. Durham has for some reason been moulded into this "Oxbridge Rejects" dumping ground which has over-inflated the average grades of entering students and paints a fake picture of the university's standing in the UK and beyond. It's a great university but not a world beater. Heck I wouldn't say Manchester is a world beater. By that I mean universities which are truly world class, known everywhere as amongst the best in that respective country and represent high academic standards and high quality graduates. The only UK universities that can claim that are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and LSE to be honest. UCL just falls short as does Edinburgh.

The rest are all pretty good but nothing special like Ivy League special.

I'm not trying to go into the depths of anything, just wanted to say that the unis/colleges I mentioned earlier in my first post, are the ones that everyone over in the US try their hardest to go for. What US colleges do you British tend to go for? I hear NYU is quite popular! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending