The Student Room Group

A level Reform Sep 2015

For people in y11 currently, A level courses in particular subjects are being reformed. I'm not sure exactly how this reform works so could someone explain the concept and how universities will make offers?

Also feel free to comment your opinions, worries, questions, etc
Original post by Cookiemonster057
For people in y11 currently, A level courses in particular subjects are being reformed. I'm not sure exactly how this reform works so could someone explain the concept and how universities will make offers?

Also feel free to comment your opinions, worries, questions, etc

The latest official explanation is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform

The reforms are summarised on the edexcel web site. Every examiner has similar pages.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/reforms.html

The new A levels are linear as opposed to current modular structure. They will be tested at the end of the two year course. Some subjects change this year, some in 2016, some in 2017 and some are being withdrawn altogether. Although AS levels will continue to exist as separate qualifications any results gained will not count towards the full A level. Schools may or may not choose to enable students to take AS level exams in subjects they plan to take to full A level (though I understand most plan to, at least at first).

The content of the courses will change. The goal is to become more demanding and a better preparation for the requirements of university education while still meeting the needs of people going directly into work/apprenticeship after 6th form. We'll see if that happens and whether they are successfully implemented. The new specifications are on the examiners web sites. While they are supposed to be more challenging, roughly similar numbers of students are expected to achieve the various grades - grade boundaries will be used to ensure that outcome. Of course linear exams will suit some students more than others. Some schools will adapt to the changes better than others, from day one try to take responsibility for what you learn, understand the syllabus, find your own additional resources and prepare well for first round of exams.

Universities will do as they do now, and have always done, they will make offers based on predicted grades. Teachers will predict grades based on internal end of year exams, other progress assessments and their experienced judgement of students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
The reforms are summarised on the edexcel web site. Some subjects change this year, some in 2016, some in 2017 and some are being withdrawn altogether.
Every examiner has similar pages.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/reforms.html

The new A levels are linear as opposed to current modular structure. They will be tested at the end of the two year course. Although AS levels will continue to exist as separate qualifications any results gained will not count towards the full A level. Schools may or may not choose to enable students to take AS level exams in subjects they plan to take to full A level (though I understand most plan to, at least at first)

Universities will do as they do now, and have always done, they will make offers based on predicted grades. Teachers will predict grades based on internal end of year exams, other progress assessments and their experienced judgement of students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!:smile:
Reply 3
Sorry or bumping this but I noticed that two of my subject choices, Geography and Maths, are not going linear until 2016. I'm starting year 12 in September, so does this mean that (assuming I do both subjects for two years) the exams I do at the end of year 12 WILL count towards my overall A Level, meaning I'll have double* the amount of exams in year 13 in other subjects (e.g. Economics) than the subjects that don't go linear until 2016?

*by double, I assume that the total number of exams taken for a two year course are the same in every subject, although I fully appreciate that this is not the case.

Thanks if you can help :smile:
Original post by joddcfc
Sorry or bumping this but I noticed that two of my subject choices, Geography and Maths, are not going linear until 2016. I'm starting year 12 in September, so does this mean that (assuming I do both subjects for two years) the exams I do at the end of year 12 WILL count towards my overall A Level, meaning I'll have double* the amount of exams in year 13 in other subjects (e.g. Economics) than the subjects that don't go linear until 2016?

*by double, I assume that the total number of exams taken for a two year course are the same in every subject, although I fully appreciate that this is not the case.

Thanks if you can help :smile:

Maths doesn't change until 2017.
You will sit AS and A2 exams in maths and any other unchanged subject just as students have this year.
In subjects that are changing you will take exams at the end of the two years. (You may take AS exams in them at the end of year 12 but that depends on your school)
It won't be double the exams but it will be 2 whole years of learning that is tested.
The exact structure of those exams will be explained in the specifications you can find on your examiners web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Good to know I'll be part of the first year to try it :colonhash:.

I'm scared that there'll be less material from which I can revise from if the specification changes. Study material will have to be actively developed as I progress through the school years, so I can only realistically rely on my school and the endorsed textbooks for my independent studying. Other than that, I welcome the challenge. At least Maths won't change until I finish sixth form.
Reply 6
Maths doesn't change until 2017.
You will sit AS and A2 exams in maths and any other unchanged subject just as students have this year.
In subjects that are changing you will take exams at the end of the two years. (You make take AS exams in them at the end of year 12 but that depends on your school)
It won't be double the exams but it will be whole 2 years of learning that is tested.
The exact structure of those exams will be explained in the specifications you can find on your examiners web site.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot!
Right so as subjects like maths and geography aren't changing till 2017, does that mean the AS level marks will count towards the final A level result for these subjects? For example will C1, C2, S1 count towards C3, C4, S2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hahahahaha123
Right so as subjects like maths and geography aren't changing till 2017, does that mean the AS level marks will count towards the final A level result for these subjects? For example will C1, C2, S1 count towards C3, C4, S2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Until a new syllabus is introduced there are NO changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry another question:
So for example as maths isnt changing until 2017, would i be able to resit AS levels in year 13 if i needed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hahahahaha123
Sorry another question:
So for example as maths isnt changing until 2017, would i be able to resit AS levels in year 13 if i needed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No Changes = No Changes
:smile:
Yes, you will be able to resit AS exams if you need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Why the hell do they still have multiple papers for the reformed subjects if they are meant to be linear?
Otherwise to test a broad sample of the syllabus some exams would be 5+ hours long

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Otherwise to test a broad sample of the syllabus some exams would be 5+ hours long

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of changing the syllabus from a modular to a linear course?
Original post by simonli2575
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of changing the syllabus from a modular to a linear course?

Not sure How ? Although there may be several exams, the assessment isn't modular. All of the exams are in the same exam season at the end of the 2 years. There are no exams taken half way through that count for half of your final result. If you want to resit to improve your overall result you can't just retake specific exams you have to take them all.
A linear course does not require one single massive exam. GCSE maths is linear but there are currently two papers at the end of the course.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Not sure How ? Although there may be several exams, the assessment isn't modular. All of the exams are in the same exam season at the end of the 2 years. There are no exams taken half way through that count for half of your final result. If you want to resit to improve your overall result you can't just retake specific exams you have to take them all.
A linear course does not require one single massive exam. GCSE maths is linear but there are currently two papers at the end of the course.
Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is, you aren't tested on the subject completely at once. The least they should do is have the 2 or 3 exams occur back to back, like just 1 hour apart from each other.

Quick Reply

Latest