The Student Room Group

My First Car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sabuntu
A powerful rear wheel drive is not a very wise decision for a first car. As I new driver I wouldnt want the rish of possibly spinning out if i put too much power into my turn.

Also get a quote on the insurance. I'm interested to see how high it is. It could cost over half the car's worth at your age

My first car was a rear wheel drive car.
Nothing wrong with them. Teaches you a bit of car control that frankly most drivers just don't have. In reality you'll not lose the arse in a low speed turn. It's quite straight forward to come off the throttle and turn into the direction of the slide. To even get into that situation in the first place you'd have had to put in a big bootfull of throttle so it's not likely to happen.

Mustangs aren't bad. There's a lot you can do to that particular shape to liven them up a bit and resolve a few of the short comings in the suspension.
Thinking about it, this very topic has been covered very recently on hot rod garage - same folks that produce the roadkill show on youtube.
Its a fat American barge with a V8, If you have ever had experience with ~30ft canal boats it will be similer to that except use slightly more fuel.
Reply 22
Original post by JC.
My first car was a rear wheel drive car.
Nothing wrong with them. Teaches you a bit of car control that frankly most drivers just don't have. In reality you'll not lose the arse in a low speed turn. It's quite straight forward to come off the throttle and turn into the direction of the slide. To even get into that situation in the first place you'd have had to put in a big bootfull of throttle so it's not likely to happen.

True but a lot of new male drivers do have a heavy foot and are probably going to try and impress their friends by driving like maniacs. Well at least that's what happens around my area. I just don't want this guy becoming another male statistic. I suppose its all about having the right temperament and I'm not sure this guy has it.

Then again a 1 series might not be a bad choice.
Reply 23
Original post by Sabuntu
True but a lot of new male drivers do have a heavy foot and are probably going to try and impress their friends by driving like maniacs. Well at least that's what happens around my area. I just don't want this guy becoming another male statistic. I suppose its all about having the right temperament and I'm not sure this guy has it.

Then again a 1 series might not be a bad choice.

1 series are lovely little cars. The little 1.6 petrol engine is a bit gutless but as a tool from getting from a to b you can't knock them.
As with all BMW's, leather upholstery is essential - their cloth seats are absolutely awful. A glass sunroof helps brighten up the cabin quite significantly too.

Part of having your first car is giving it large, though, isn't it? My first car was a triumph spitfire 1500 convertible. I used to roast the back tyres at every set of lights. Then I discovered racing and I get my jollys on the track these days.
Original post by JC.
1 series are lovely little cars. The little 1.6 petrol engine is a bit gutless but as a tool from getting from a to b you can't knock them.
As with all BMW's, leather upholstery is essential - their cloth seats are absolutely awful. A glass sunroof helps brighten up the cabin quite significantly too.

Part of having your first car is giving it large, though, isn't it? My first car was a triumph spitfire 1500 convertible. I used to roast the back tyres at every set of lights. Then I discovered racing and I get my jollys on the track these days.

I agree - I thoroughly enjoy my 1 series. Only problem is the gearbox (and ratios) on the 2.0 diesel - the twin turbo means first is over before you're really expecting ready and the changes are rather notchy. If you aren't used to the car acceleration could be smoother... No idea about the petrol counterparts though.
Reply 25
What if you're a **** driver and you crash into a crowd of 20 people and the car smashes into pieces and the metal parts are projected at high speed and rip the people in half and their guts spray everywhere and they die a slow and painful death, meanwhile you knock your head on the steering wheel, numbing you to pain, so you wake up confused, only just realising (due to the pain numbness) that your elbow bone is sticking out about 20cm from the arm and its all broken and you also realise one of your eyes is hanging from its sockets when you look at the mirror. An ambulance comes and the man says he'll have to amputate your arm and remove your eye by cutting the small cord connecting it to your brain, but due to the moderate concussion they cannot afford to put you unconscious in case you go into a long-term coma, so he pulls out a surgical saw and starts chopping your leg off, you can feel the metal teeth grinding violently against your flesh and bone as it rips through it, and you then realise that you've ended 20 lives and ruined your own? What's more?! - you roll your head to your side so you can't see what is happening, and you see bowels and blood flung across the floor like someones made a person pop, you see someone who has been severed in half but is still just about clinging to life, screaming and looking at you with a deathly expression, "why" is the only word that his face radiates. His hand has been bent fully backwards and there's blood coming out of his mouth. You also see that you killed a young child, maybe 9 years old, her neck snapped by your car rolling over her, and her mother survived and is glaring at her with grief, screaming at you. And now you realise that you should have got a normal car and not a showy-offy flashy car which you think you'll impress people with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CASĒ
What if you're a **** driver and you crash into a crowd of 20 people and the car smashes into pieces and the metal parts are projected at high speed and rip the people in half and their guts spray everywhere and they die a slow and painful death, meanwhile you knock your head on the steering wheel, numbing you to pain, so you wake up confused, only just realising (due to the pain numbness) that your elbow bone is sticking out about 20cm from the arm and its all broken and you also realise one of your eyes is hanging from its sockets when you look at the mirror. An ambulance comes and the man says he'll have to amputate your arm and remove your eye by cutting the small cord connecting it to your brain, but due to the moderate concussion they cannot afford to put you unconscious in case you go into a long-term coma, so he pulls out a surgical saw and starts chopping your leg off, you can feel the metal teeth grinding violently against your flesh and bone as it rips through it, and you then realise that you've ended 20 lives and ruined your own? What's more?! - you roll your head to your side so you can't see what is happening, and you see bowels and blood flung across the floor like someones made a person pop, you see someone who has been severed in half but is still just about clinging to life, screaming and looking at you with a deathly expression, "why" is the only word that his face radiates. His hand has been bent fully backwards and there's blood coming out of his mouth. You also see that you killed a young child, maybe 9 years old, her neck snapped by your car rolling over her, and her mother survived and is glaring at her with grief, screaming at you. And now you realise that you should have got a normal car and not a showy-offy flashy car which you think you'll impress people with.

I think you have a lot more to worry about than somebody else's choice of car...
Reply 27
Original post by shaymarriott
I think you have a lot more to worry about than somebody else's choice of car...

it's not so much the car, as opposed to the weak driving of the OP
Not only is the engine massive, it's thirsty and inefficient (poor power/litre ratio). The car will also be imported and that does not only mean insurance will be high, it means you'd be lucky enough for a company to even give you a quote.
Original post by CASĒ
it's not so much the car, as opposed to the weak driving of the OP

OK

I think you have a lot more to worry about than somebody else's driving ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending