The Student Room Group

Is university a necessity?

I'm looking to get into the film industry like an actor or an independent film maker. I'm 17 and I'm currently debating whether it would be better to go to university and do film production or whether I should buy a decent camera and begin to make short films and/or skits with my friends (who are also as motivated as me and have the same goals). It's not like I don't think I'll be able to get into uni its just I'm not sure if it's the best option for the path I want to take.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oscar.
I'm looking to get into the film industry like an actor or an independent film maker. I'm 17 and I'm currently debating whether it would be better to go to university and do film production or whether I should buy a decent camera and begin to make short films and/or skits with my friends (who are also as motivated as me and have the same goals). It's not like I don't think I'll be able to get into uni its just I'm not sure if it's the best option for the path I want to take.
Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile

Your instincts are correct.

A degree is not cheap, and entering the film industry is more about what you produce than what you've studied.

As a graduate who hasn't really used his degree a year out of uni, I'd advise you to save the money and just produce with friends.
Reply 2
Original post by TimeWalker
Your instincts are correct.

A degree is not cheap, and entering the film industry is more about what you produce than what you've studied.

As a graduate who hasn't really used his degree a year out of uni, I'd advise you to save the money and just produce with friends.

Yeah I'm really not sure what to do I'm going to look into it a bit more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Bump I guess aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any reason why you can't do both? Do you have alternatives in place? You aren't going to be making a living making short films with your friends any time soon, so do you have alternative means of support or a very specific plan of what to do and how you're going to live further than just make films with your mates?

Its all very well saying that the film industry is more about what you produce than what you've studied, but are you in a position to produce good work without studying? Do you have the means to get your work seen without the networking potential that university might offer? Do you think that making films with your friends will expose you to the same broad influences that you might experience at university?
Reply 5
Original post by matt123456790
Is there any reason why you can't do both? Do you have alternatives in place? You aren't going to be making a living making short films with your friends any time soon, so do you have alternative means of support or a very specific plan of what to do and how you're going to live further than just make films with your mates?

Its all very well saying that the film industry is more about what you produce than what you've studied, but are you in a position to produce good work without studying? Do you have the means to get your work seen without the networking potential that university might offer? Do you think that making films with your friends will expose you to the same broad influences that you might experience at university?

Yeah, I've already come to the decision that it would be more beneficial for new to go to uni as well as producing short films on the side, but thanks for the input :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello there! As a young film maker, I was wondering if you could help me with my project? I am an interior design student hoping to create a place for young film makers and independent film makers to encourage them and help them with their careers in film?

I was wondering if you could give me any insight as to what the main problems are with being a film maker? Is it the lack of skills, struggle to finance, interaction with the industry. Maybe you struggle showing your projects to people?

Thankyou

Quick Reply