The Student Room Group

How do you guys feel about winking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bassbabe
I only just saw this bit. Yes my name is bassbabe because I play bass guitar.

powerful
Where did winking even come from. Why do people close one eye at other people. What a strange thing to do. People rarely wink at me, unless we're winding the little uns up and someone winks to get people to play along. Don't think I've ever had a flirty wink and not sure how I'd feel about it. And I most certainly have never winked at anyone.

(because I can't)
It depends on who it is etc I think, like you said.

Once I was waiting for my friends near a bustop and a man riding past on a bicycle winked at me:erm: and I found it incredibly creepy...so I don't particularly like the idea of strangers just winking..
Just why would you choose to do that?

However, if its a friend then I couldn't care less and would probably find it hilarious. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTipsyTarsier
I can't

you can't wink?!
Personally I think its weird and have never even thought of doing it, just seems too cringy imo.

In real life that is, I've done it whilst texting and thats the only time it seems normal to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
you can't wink?!

Why...are you so shocked :sigh:
Why...are you so shocked :sigh:

it's not that I pictured specifically you as somehow very winky and now have to revise an impression, only that I had imagined that everybody could wink.

I'm googling this now but I've received the intelligence as you might someone's saying, I dunno, "I can't do the thumbs up".
it's not that I pictured specifically you as somehow very winky and now have to revise an impression, only that I had imagined that everybody could wink.

I'm googling this now but I've received the intelligence as you might someone's saying, I dunno, "I can't do the thumbs up".

I just can't close one eye without the other closing too. So, it might not be flirty but at least it's funny.
I just can't close one eye without the other closing too. So, it might not be flirty but at least it's funny.

it turns out you're not alone: I'm sat in a cafe and have just conducted an experiment.

Non-scientific and small sample but return rates suggest that most women cannot wink and when many try it looks instead like they're rolling their eyes.

Who knew?
it turns out you're not alone: I'm sat in a cafe and have just conducted an experiment.

Non-scientific and small sample but return rates suggest that most women cannot wink and when many try it looks instead like they're rolling their eyes.

Who knew?

hah. That was like my third smile of the day. Well done Cambs.
hah. That was like my third smile of the day.

yes I am famously hilarious and also slim and well dressed and the rest of it.

... Cambs.

Hmm. Can we go instead with ''Mr Winky"?
Reply 51
When I wink at someone it's fine... But when someone winks at me... Lol no. It just doesn't feel right.
Reply 52
I wink a lot. But usually to people I know because winking to a stranger is down right creepy. I think :smile:.
Original post by bassbabe
I only just saw this bit. Yes my name is bassbabe because I play bass guitar.

And you're a babe, obviously. :wink:

Original post by K.C
powerful

^ Unsurprisingly tbh, this guy gets it. That's how I feel about your username. Just "wow, That's too much. Such profundity"

Original post by henchboy
Personally I think its weird and have never even thought of doing it, just seems too cringy imo.

In real life that is, I've done it whilst texting and that's the only time it seems normal to me.

Everyone does it online. but it's not really the same at all. When someone does the wink online it doesn't make you feel the same way because you don't actually think of winking itself. It just lets you know that they are flirting, or not being serious, joking, whatever.

P.S Your avatar/Username combo is what I'de call cringe.

Original post by rhadawey
When I wink at someone it's fine... But when someone winks at me... Lol no. It just doesn't feel right.

:O But why not??? It feels... Goood. Ineffably good.

Original post by LeyK
I wink a lot. But usually to people I know because winking to a stranger is down right creepy. I think :smile:.

I think everyone can agree that winking at a stranger is ****ing weird.
I'm always confused what the person really means by it as there are usually two equally valid diametrically opposite possibilities.
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Nearly read 'winking' as something else then :wink: ...

omg same lmao!!! awkss.....
I've never approved of winking no matter what the context. It's no right
I prefer it when she does the old hair flip after coming out from underwater in slow motion

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was working behind a counter today and the guy, when I got his order ready, winked at me when I mumbled
I thought it was quite funny, and I didn't think he was weird for it
Original post by upagumtree
I've never approved of winking no matter what the context. It's no right

Why the hate?

Original post by aaronlowe
I'm always confused what the person really means by it as there are usually two equally valid diametrically opposite possibilities.

What?

Original post by zippity.doodah
I was working behind a counter today and the guy, when I got his order ready, winked at me when I mumbled
I thought it was quite funny, and I didn't think he was weird for it

Nice. Thanks for sharing; I feel like that's the most sensible reaction. Tbh, I think most of the time someone judges someone else as weird and looks down on them for a particular action they are being very unfair and often elitist/immature.

Quick Reply

Latest