The Student Room Group

I have another question for mostly the women of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm... Some rather contrasting views so far.
Original post by TorpidPhil
It's fairly common knowledge in dating circles that 'women' 'dislike' guys who use 'emoticons excessively'.

There are "dating circles?"
Original post by SmashConcept
There are "dating circles?"

Ye.

You can find such knowledge right in the centre.
Reply 23
Foo.mp3 uses about 5 emojis per line and spoiler. He seems to do well with women. :smile:
Reply 24
In my opinion, writing without emoticons comes across as more direct, which is a characteristic of traditional masculinity. I think using emoticons can come across as almost apologetic towards what you've written. For example, if you say something that could be perceived as a little abrasive, and try to lighten it up with a smiley face at the end, it comes across as weak - like you don't have the stomach to stand by your words alone.

Personally I try to be a nice person, and I try to be compassionate, but don't go overly out of my way to adjust the tone of my beliefs or opinions, because they are what they are, and if it's appropriate to share my opinions, then watering them down seems to be both less honest and more likely to encourage emotional weakness at the level of society.

However, in terms of attracting girls, I really don't think it matters that much. Winking or flirtatious emoticons in particular.
Don't use it all the time. sometimes is OK.
Original post by miser
In my opinion, writing without emoticons comes across as more direct, which is a characteristic of traditional masculinity. I think using emoticons can come across as almost apologetic towards what you've written. For example, if you say something that could be perceived as a little abrasive, and try to lighten it up with a smiley face at the end, it comes across as weak - like you don't have the stomach to stand by your words alone.

Personally I try to be a nice person, and I try to be compassionate, but don't go overly out of my way to adjust the tone of my beliefs or opinions, because they are what they are, and if it's appropriate to share my opinions, then watering them down seems to be both less honest and more likely to encourage emotional weakness at the level of society.

However, in terms of attracting girls, I really don't think it matters that much. Winking or flirtatious emoticons in particular.

I was gonna say something exactly like this.

Are you that same guy who also stole my ideas about people on TSR being fake?
Reply 27
Original post by LauraMayden1
I was gonna say something exactly like this.

Are you that same guy who also stole my ideas about people on TSR being fake?

That's me! :wink:
Original post by miser
That's me! :wink:

Damn, you keep getting everywhere before me. Oh well, in a way it's good because you seem to put it better than I could ever. But in a way it's kinda creepy because it feels like you know what's in my head.
Reply 29
People notice these stuff? :curious:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Uncle Foobert has identified 4 main phases, in this regard:

1) Keeno beta (you know the type, they cover girls' walls with colourful VMs, bless 'em) :colondollar: #ForeverFriendzoned

2) Wannabe boss (go out of their way to avoid using emoticons because they're terribly concerned with projecting maturity/masculinity [often 'compensating']) :colonhash:

3) IDGAF ~ I'll use emoticons to be expressive if I want - if a girl is that judgemental/unable to discern my finer qualities then she can 'do one' :awesome:

4) Mature or non-student e.g. past it/too busy/too serious :yawn:

Aye, one can trust to most reasonably sensible girls to be able to roughly discern the above, without being terribly prejudiced by snap judgements :top2:

you seem like a 3, 3 seems like a good place to be
I think :wink: can be a bit cheesy but other than that I don't mind. I do care if a guy replies quickly and gives a damn about the conversation. I'm not a fan of minimal responses. So emoticons aren't a big deal for me.
Who doesn't love emojis?
I think they use emoticons a bit TOO scarcely. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest