The Student Room Group

Algebraic Fractions Question

2x^4-3x^2+x+1/x^2-1

thnks
= 0.7434450123
Reply 2
That's a mathematical expression. What is the question?

(I sense that brackets will help here)
Original post by mik1a
That's a mathematical expression. What is the question?

(I sense that brackets will help here)

2x^4-3x^2+x+1 divided by x^2-1
(Dividing Algebraic Fractions)
Reply 4
Original post by ilovereading
2x^4-3x^2+x+1 divided by x^2-1
(Dividing Algebraic Fractions)

Do you have any ideas? What method have you learnt to divide polynomials?
Factorise.
Reply 6
Original post by ifyouseelaura
Factorise.

This fraction can't be simplified so I'm not sure that's what the OP wants here.

But it wasn't clear in the original post what the question actually is.
2x43x2+x+1x2+1Ax2+Bx+C+Dx+Fx2+1 \dfrac{2x^4 - 3x^2 + x +1}{x^2 + 1} \equiv Ax^2 + Bx + C + \dfrac{Dx + F}{x^2 + 1}

A= A = …

B= B = …

C= C = …

D= D = …

F= F = …

there are quite a few ways to do this but this is the most understandable way using text to demonstrate it :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by SwampMagic
= 0.7434450123

Its okay guys I eventually figured it out. I was using the box method. I just got confused cause there was no x^3 and I forgot to add 0x to x^2-1. Sorry I wasn't clear about the question to begin with :P
Reply 10
Can anyone help me with a factorisation question please? (I know it's gcse but need help please thanks :smile: )The question:Factorise x2 x [1 mark] Answer ......................................................................An explanation would also be helpful Thanks in advance....
Reply 11
Original post by Ace C
Can anyone help me with a factorisation question please? (I know it's gcse but need help please thanks :smile: )The question:Factorise x2 x [1 mark] Answer ......................................................................An explanation would also be helpful Thanks in advance....

The common factor of x^2 - x is x, therefore you can get the same equation by taking that x out.
This leaves us with x(x - 1).
If you're unsure about this, just times out the factors and you'll get the same answer!
Reply 12
Original post by Artur96
The common factor of x^2 - x is x, therefore you can get the same equation by taking that x out.
If you're unsure about this, just times out the factors and you'll get the same answer!

Thanks for that :biggrin: but can you explain it as simply as possible for me please? I am still struggling to understand that! NO CALCULATOR IS ALLOWED!
What do you mean by just times out the factors please?
Reply 13
Original post by Artur96

Also, What grade is factorisation in general if you know? I am predicted a B for GCSE maths, but am unsure I will actually get that! I have 2 mock maths exams tomorrow!
Reply 14
Original post by Ace C
Thanks for that :biggrin: but can you explain it as simply as possible for me please? I am still struggling to understand that! NO CALCULATOR IS ALLOWED!
What do you mean by just times out the factors please?

"x squared" just means "x times x"

"x" on its own can be thought of as "x times 1"

So both "x squared" and "x" have a factor of x, so you can take out this factor of x outside a bracket. Inside the bracket you have the quotients remaining when you divide by x i.e. x and 1. Since we started with "x^2 - x" originally, the terms inside the bracket are separated by a minus sign.

Quick Reply

Latest