The Student Room Group

What is the best song you've ever heard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Almost impossible to pick one but these are all right up there, complete works in their own way, especially combined with the vids for some of them:

ECHOES!!!
Treacherous by Taylor Swift.

Not gay.
Original post by Need2Study4Exam

You use that gif too much, bud. You need to build your reaction folder up.
Darude-sandstorm.

Jokes, it is probably F.O .O.L- Throne.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah

I was just listening through that album earlier today and it's a masterpiece, their best album in my opinion. The title track is one of my favourite prog rock songs, along with Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" and Rush's "YYZ".

For me to pick the best song I've ever heard would be nearly impossible as my opinion on this matter will always be changing. If I had to pick one song, then I would say the best song I have ever heard is The Stranglers cover of 'Walk On By'. But then again, tomorrow my opinion will probably change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfqVDHNW6c
It's a tough choice between these two;

[video="youtube;3iqZkudmcPY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqZkudmcPY[/video]

I'm never not happy when I have that on. Been with me 10 years now.

https://soundcloud.com/cascine/06-spanish-castles

If possible, I'd make this the last song I ever hear.
[video="youtube;KOFw2UPLdPk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOFw2UPLdPk[/video]
Who could be better than Yung Lean?!
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
a lot of black metal bands really being more innovative than ever, like Altar of Plagues.

Eh, everything before Teethed Glory is just above-average but not innovative atmospheric black metal, and Teethed Glory itself is pretty much a completely worthless turd.

On topic, couldn't pick one track, but here are some of the things I've enjoyed listening to most in the past five years:

[video="youtube;aSqKbwNjL_I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSqKbwNjL_I[/video]

Repulsion - Maggots in Your Coffin

And some stuff I've enjoyed the most the past year or so, which is possibly also a little bit easier to get into:

Manilla Road - Flaming Metal Systems

Atlantean Kodex - Twelve Stars and an Azure Gown
(edited 8 years ago)
Ironic - Alanis Morissette :mmm:
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Eh, everything before Teethed Glory is just above-average but not innovative atmospheric black metal, and Teethed Glory itself is pretty much a completely worthless turd.

Teethed glory and Injury is honestly amazing. I rank it higher than Deathspell and Darkspace tbh
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Teethed glory and Injury is honestly amazing. I rank it higher than Deathspell and Darkspace tbh

I honestly don't get how anyone likes it. To me, it seems like some guys decided 'hey! Let's take everything good about black metal, get rid of it, and replace it with some pretentious meandering crap which will appeal to Pitchfork!'

DsO are a bit varied to be to be honest. I love SMRC - it's possibly the single best post-2000 BM album, and the stuff before it is pretty good, especially Inquisitors of Satan, as well as Fas, but the stuff after that... eh. Paracletus is pretty dull and Drought is just bad.

Darkspace are good, but not a band I like to listen to often.

To be honest, most of the best black metal at the moment is either black/speed or the whole 'war metal' (Blasphemy, Conqueror, Proclamation etc) thing.
Original post by callum_law
You use that gif too much, bud. You need to build your reaction folder up.

reaction folder. rofl you are so retarded mate.

erm anyway

as a hard music fan there's never going to be that one song above all others.
I could go on forever.
I more so have fav songs of the moment.
I'd say my song of the week is Renegades by X Ambassadors. It's not popular, not even a real song with a video. It's just a fanbase who posted lyrics for the song made for an ad but it's such a beautiful track.

The level of his voice, it's how a male singer's voice should be
The somber melody
The rockabilly vibe to it with the chanting in the background and the claps
The climactic electro solo at the end that sounds like electric guitar mixed with like synths mixed with like a baby's cries sped up, i dunno, it's passionate as ****.
The simplicity and loneliness of the video.
The lyrics are perfect, it's basically meant to uplift people on the outside of whatever society they live in.

Long live the pioneers
Rebels and mutineers
Go forth and have no fear

Stuff like that. :rock:
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I honestly don't get how anyone likes it. To me, it seems like some guys decided 'hey! Let's take everything good about black metal, get rid of it, and replace it with some pretentious meandering crap which will appeal to Pitchfork!'<br />
<br />
DsO are a bit varied to be to be honest. I love SMRC - it's possibly the single best post-2000 BM album, and the stuff before it is pretty good, especially Inquisitors of Satan, as well as Fas, but the stuff after that... eh. Paracletus is pretty dull and Drought is just bad.<br />
<br />
Darkspace are good, but not a band I like to listen to often.<br />
<br />
To be honest, most of the best black metal at the moment is either black/speed or the whole 'war metal' (Blasphemy, Conqueror, Proclamation etc) thing.

See in my opinion it takes all the fantastic elements of black metal and makes it more dissonant and enthralling, like at the end of the second track were the guitar is just so loud and abrasive with blast beats hammering down. It's something really special.

There's nothing more I hate than a darkthrone clone anyway. Black metal has a lot to offer with other genres clearly, as long as you don't do what deafheaven do because sunbather is awful.

Funny you say that. Paracletus is my favourite followed by fas. We clearly have very opposing black metal ideals lol. Never got into the battle aspect of it. I personally prefer the more dissonant type, like thantifaxath
Send For The Man.

This is the best song for me. Something about it I find to be very powerful. No other song has ever had the same effect on me as this. It doesn't have the best vocals, it doesn't have the best solo, but it's my favourite song ever. I could sit and listen to this over and over and not get bored.
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
Don't listen to any of the **** these degenerates are posting up here.

This isn't my favourite song, but I really like it. Give it some more time. Really like that solo.

Really amazing song, especially the second half. Some epic guitar shredding there, such a beautiful sound this band has. It's the kind of song you can play over and over again and just enjoy the sound and relax to it. R.I.P. to those members of the band who died in the plane crash. This is a classic rock'n'roll song.
Reply 76
Finding it really interesting the absolute variation in all the answers!
Don't have a favourite so top 5 are

Dancin in the dark - Bruce Springsteen
Born to run - Bruce Springsteen
Piano man - billy Joel
Baker Street - Gerry rafferty
Shoot to thrill - acdc
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Wu Tang Clan - Triumph

Other than one average verse on this track, the rest are genius, especially inspectah decks first verse. Thats if you appreciate hip hop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without a doubt:
Lana Del Rey -Ride

Quick Reply

Latest