The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
shady lane

I dunno, Barnard invited me for an open day type-thing when I was considering universities, and I really liked it. And I've never been into the all-girl thing--I don't even have many female friends! Their halls are also much nicer and cleaner than Columbia's :smile:

Its funny you mention this... something I notice in the boarding houses at schools (not quite college halls, but anyway) it how much more the boys' houses do smell and are genuinely kept in a worse state!! I can imagine it being quite nice not having any boys around to mess things up... although I cant image not actually having any around at all, at a place like Wellesley or Smith.
Reply 21
shady lane
A number of studies have shown that women perform worse in math and science in coed environments than in single sex environments, while for men it makes no difference. There are a few schools in the US now separating the genders in science classes from 7th/8th grade, as it apparently makes a difference in the performance of the girls and encourages them to pursue science/math subjects at university.

I dunno, Barnard invited me for an open day type-thing when I was considering universities, and I really liked it. And I've never been into the all-girl thing--I don't even have many female friends! Their halls are also much nicer and cleaner than Columbia's :smile:

That might be true in school, but I would think that students in a college are mature enough to focus on their work without being distracted by the opposite sex. And the Barnard website seems to say that women are able to major in science and economics in Barnard because they won't have to compete with superior males...

shady lane
A number of studies have shown that women perform worse in math and science in coed environments than in single sex environments, while for men it makes no difference. There are a few schools in the US now separating the genders in science classes from 7th/8th grade, as it apparently makes a difference in the performance of the girls and encourages them to pursue science/math subjects at university.

Aren't there single sex dorms in most major colleges?
It's not the single-sex aspect of the dorms. I lived in Columbia dorms for a summer--dark, dirty, and full of roaches. At Barnard the dorms were newer, cleaner, brighter, and not infested with vermin.
Hartley Hall! I worked there for a summer.
They are supposed to be the closest thing to a British boarding school environment

What? You mean there's buggery all round after tea time? I always wondered why they called frats 'Greek' societies...

Latest

Trending

Trending