The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do in life

Where do i start.

Basically, i have no idea what i want to do in life. I've just finished my 2nd year of college (almost 18) and i am going to be taking a gap year.

I was going to study psychology at university, but i changed my mind at the last minute. The more i think about it,the more i don't want to do psychology. I don't even know if i want to go to university- i feel like i'm supposed to go to university because of society, rather than what i actually want to do. Don't get me wrong, No one has ever forced me, i just feel as if since everyone is so set on going to university that i am socially obligated to go too. ugh.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that i have no idea what i want to do in life. I don't know how to start looking-the internet has too much to sift through. I don't have that many interests in which i could or would make it into a career. I don't even have a genuine interest in academic subjects.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by I Procrastinate
..i feel like i'm supposed to go to university because of society...

Eh?
Reply 2
Where do i start.

Basically, i have no idea what i want to do in life. I've just finished my 2nd year of college (almost 18) and i am going to be taking a gap year.

I was going to study psychology at university, but i changed my mind at the last minute. The more i think about it,the more i don't want to do psychology. I don't even know if i want to go to university- i feel like i'm supposed to go to university because of society, rather than what i actually want to do. Don't get me wrong, No one has ever forced me, i just feel as if since everyone is so set on going to university that i am socially obligated to go too. ugh.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that i have no idea what i want to do in life. I don't know how to start looking-the internet has too much to sift through. I don't have that many interests in which i could or would make it into a career. I don't even have a genuine interest in academic subjects.

I think that the gap year you're taking is good. It will give you time to think and decide for yourself. If you don't want to go to university then don't. You decide what to do, not society.
I'm sure that whatever decision you make it will be perfect for you. :smile:
If you want advice on which career to follow then perhaps do this quiz: http://shobia.com/career-finderhttp://shobia.com/career-finder

I hope this helped.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you don't go to uni what will you do?
Where do i start.

Good plan when you have no idea what you wanna do, gives to time to think if nothing else.

i feel like i'm supposed to go to university because of society,

Nope.

If you don't even have a genuine interest in any form of academic subject perhaps uni is not the best place for you.
Original post by A5ko
Eh?

Original post by Retired_Messiah

Nope.

sorry-that didnt make sense.
what I mean is that after college, the next step always seems to be university. We never seem to stop and think of what we actually want to do. There is this notion that you must go to university in order to succeed and there is no other option. Or, that 'since everyone is going to uni then i must too'.Don't get me wrong, I was never forced to go to university, but there's always this expectation from society to go to uni. some people just follow this and end up getting a complete opposite career. It makes me think whether it's even worth going.

Now, I'm not saying this for everyone- obviously there are those who truly want to go and need to for their career choice.

It's hard to explain it :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Where do i start.

This is basically me, I was going to study psychology and then decided not to go ( I attended a summer school and it was really not what I was expecting) I'm so glad that I didn't go and didn't wast my time or money on it. However a year later I still don't know what I want to do! I've applied for university and got a place but I'm so uncertain.
What I have experienced with my year out is that I found it very difficult to get a job and if I was straight out of college the only options for me were to get a minimum wage job or get an apprenticeship. I'd try to think about something that you do enjoy and would have an interest in and then see what jobs are involved in that and look at university courses or other means of getting there. :smile:
Utilize this time to figure out what you're good at
You don't have to be extremely passionate about something to be successful
i feel like i'm supposed to go to university because of society

Same reason I wear a belt.

I went to uni to screw hot girls and avoid work for a few years :biggrin:
Original post by Paladian
If you don't go to uni what will you do?

Well, i guess another question is whether it is completely necessary to go to uni?
Original post by ZeeElvis
I think that the gap year you're taking is good. It will give you time to think and decide for yourself. If you don't want to go to university then don't. You decide what to do, not society.
I'm sure that whatever decision you make it will be perfect for you. :smile:
If you want advice on which career to follow then perhaps do this quiz: http://shobia.com/career-finderhttp://shobia.com/career-finder

I hope this helped.

Thank you :h:
I'll check that website out, thanks.
Well, i guess another question is whether it is completely necessary to go to uni?

I don't think it's completely necessary but it is good for a start on a career path rather than working in a trade for instance.
Thank you :h:
I'll check that website out, thanks.

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by Cheskahb
This is basically me, I was going to study psychology and then decided not to go ( I attended a summer school and it was really not what I was expecting) I'm so glad that I didn't go and didn't wast my time or money on it. However a year later I still don't know what I want to do! I've applied for university and got a place but I'm so uncertain.
What I have experienced with my year out is that I found it very difficult to get a job and if I was straight out of college the only options for me were to get a minimum wage job or get an apprenticeship. I'd try to think about something that you do enjoy and would have an interest in and then see what jobs are involved in that and look at university courses or other means of getting there. :smile:

Oh, thanks for the heads up! It's a bit odd how jobs work. If you want to apply to one, most expect you to have past jobs and experiences :s-smilie:

There is one thing that i was interested in, but it sounds odd and very specific, so i don't know whether it's the best route to take. I've recently wanted to try out cake decorating. I've always liked drawing/ creating/painting, although i haven't done so in a while. I never actually decorated a cake before, but i guess i was inspired to do so by the amount of cooking shows i've watched :s-smilie:
Do you think i should go to uni as a back up plan?
What are you planning on studying at uni?
Original post by CarpeDiem.
Utilize this time to figure out what you're good at
You don't have to be extremely passionate about something to be successful

I guess so. Ya know, even though i'm on a gap year i'm still going to have to decide what i want to do within this year, if i'm going apply to a uni. To me that doesn't sound like a long time, haha.

I understand what you are saying and that's useful advice (thanks) :smile: , but the problem is i'm trying to figure out something i like that can become a career.
Original post by aaronlowe

I went to uni to screw hot girls and avoid work for a few years :biggrin:

:colonhash: I don't agree with the former part of your lifestyle, but the latter is something i would do.:colondollar:
Anyway, if i went to university i would be concentrating on my studies and making new friends (hopefully). The night life ain't for me, bruh.

I don't think it's completely necessary but it is good for a start on a career path rather than working in a trade for instance.

True, but what if you end up doing the complete opposite of your degree? would it still be worthwhile?
I am in the same boat, but I am 20 (wow... first time saying that I am 20 - makes me feel old and wondering what I have actually done with my life so far...).

Hopefully when I finish travelling New Zealand (start in August - if anyone wants to come? :> ) I will have a better idea on what to do.
True, but what if you end up doing the complete opposite of your degree? would it still be worthwhile?

Well I would just do a degree that I enjoy like for me its art history.
Original post by spanker
I am in the same boat, but I am 20 (wow... first time saying that I am 20 - makes me feel old and wondering what I have actually done with my life so far...).

Hopefully when I finish travelling New Zealand (start in August - if anyone wants to come? :> ) I will have a better idea on what to do.

On the bright side, you had and still have time to think of what you want to do, rather than wasting your time on something you don't and putting yourself in a load of debt....

Have fun!:h:
Well I would just do a degree that I enjoy like for me its art history.

I can't find a degree i would enjoy :c
I'm not planning on moving away from home so my options are limited too... to like one university ;-;

Quick Reply

Latest