The Student Room Group

Mathematics/Further Mathematics help/information required, thanks =)

So I've just finished my GCSEs and I want to start looking at some AS/A2 level mathematics/Further mathematics so that I can get a head start when I officially start learning the course at sixth form. Annoyingly, I have no idea what an Earth to look over so could anyone help me who takes the aforementioned subjects: Maths/Further Mathematics
Useful information - The exam board my college uses for Mathematics/Further Mathematics is AQA
Thank you!
I did a bit of work before starting sixth form using exam solutions http://www.examsolutions.net/ it has tutorials on everything that comes up for A level as well as practice questions.
Reply 2
Original post by Jknought
So I've just finished my GCSEs and I want to start looking at some AS/A2 level mathematics/Further mathematics so that I can get a head start when I officially start learning the course at sixth form. Annoyingly, I have no idea what an Earth to look over so could anyone help me who takes the aforementioned subjects: Maths/Further Mathematics
Useful information - The exam board my college uses for Mathematics/Further Mathematics is AQA

You will take 6 units for Maths and 6 for Further Maths A levels. The first unit you will cover will be Pure Core 1 so start with that. What else you start with depends on your school, but you will also do Pure Core 2 in Year 12.

There is lots of onlne help (seee previous poster). Specific info about AQA's specifications is at http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
Reply 3
If you do nothing else, just brush up a little bit on all the GCSE content, especially the algebraic side. It'll make it easier to get into the swing of things and ensure you don't lag behind. Things get out of hand quick if you fall behind in maths, so stay on top of it from the start.
Reply 4
Original post by Jknought
Thank you!

the determination, you got 11a* dont wait for your results start celebrating
I don't do AQA but from my experience, you will probably do imaginary numbers in your further pure exams. THis isn't a topic that really pulls from anything you have done at GCSE and, at least on my exam board, is one of the easiest questions on the paper. For normal A Level maths, go onto a website like:http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
and have a look at the C1 topics you will be doing. Some of these will look farmiliar so just have a look and see what you can at least slightly recongnise. I wouldn't try to teach yourself anything that doesn't build from GCSE. I did an additional maths Level 2 in my GCSEs and I could do pretty much everytyhing in C1 and C2. They aren't hard topics its just some things are quite new.

Hope this helps
p.s. keep that website for when you are revising. They have all the past papers and mark schemes and sometimes model answers you can think of
Reply 6
Original post by abbeymaysykes
I don't do AQA but from my experience, you will probably do imaginary numbers in your further pure exams. THis isn't a topic that really pulls from anything you have done at GCSE and, at least on my exam board, is one of the easiest questions on the paper. For normal A Level maths, go onto a website like:http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
and have a look at the C1 topics you will be doing. Some of these will look farmiliar so just have a look and see what you can at least slightly recongnise. I wouldn't try to teach yourself anything that doesn't build from GCSE. I did an additional maths Level 2 in my GCSEs and I could do pretty much everytyhing in C1 and C2. They aren't hard topics its just some things are quite new.

Hope this helps
p.s. keep that website for when you are revising. They have all the past papers and mark schemes and sometimes model answers you can think of

thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest