The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thehistorybore
Should it be taught or shouldn't it?

Whilst it is obviously a topic that can be studied historically (it has origin/effects etc), is it disrespectful to teach it, as no single person can do justice in conveying the absolute horror, or should it be taught as part of a lesson for humanity?

Interested to know what everyone thinks.

...how is that "disrespectful", though? there are a tonne of things in history that featured humans suffering, why is the holocaust any different? we can't portray suffering with 100% accuracy, but surely that's just the limitation of language?
Original post by zippity.doodah
...how is that "disrespectful", though? there are a tonne of things in history that featured humans suffering, why is the holocaust any different? we can't portray suffering with 100% accuracy, but surely that's just the limitation of language?

But then what about the people who know they lost relatives during the holocaust? Are we distanced enough from it to be able to analyse it with dispassion? Is it historically mature?
Yeah, let's just teach the nice bits of history. That doesn't defeat the point at all.
Reply 4
I feel like people need to understand the horrors of the Holocaust, otherwise how could they have the proper respect for the people who endured it? However, I feel that it does need to be taught in a sensitive manner, especially at the lower end of the education system. I'm not exactly the best person to give my opinion on this though, as I haven't lost any relatives that I know of in the holocaust, and I didn't study History at GCSE, let alone A level, so I'm not particularly educated on how history is taught to GCSE, A level and higher education students.
But then what about the people who know they lost relatives during the holocaust? Are we distanced enough from it to be able to analyse it with dispassion? Is it historically mature?

so if I told you some of my family members died in WWII, does that mean we can't learn about it?
Original post by zippity.doodah
so if I told you some of my family members died in WWII, does that mean we can't learn about it?

What I'm getting at is whether such a thing is far too horrific to be taught. Is it unprecedented?

What do you do when you visit a concentration camp? Do you take photos and smile like its a nice day out? It's not an easy thing to deal with without being disrespectful to the millions that die.
What a dumb statement. May aswell just not teach history if you're gonna be so picky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course we should and properly too. So many people I know come away thinking it was only the Jews persecuted during the war and not really knowing anything about the Holocaust other than 'lots of Jews died'. It's ridiculous!
What I'm getting at is whether such a thing is far too horrific to be taught. Is it unprecedented?

What do you do when you visit a concentration camp? Do you take photos and smile like its a nice day out? It's not an easy thing to deal with without being disrespectful to the millions that die.

there are mass graveyards out there. I've been to the one in france. reality is reality. history is reality. what else can you say?
He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.
The question is, how can you ever teach it without doing a disservice to those who died under such conditions?
Could you go on school trips there? Would you take pictures? Would you smile? Would you have lunch on the site at which hundreds of thousands died?
Original post by DraftMeteor
He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.

Never write that in a personal statement if you're applying for a history degree.
Never write that in a personal statement if you're applying for a history degree.

Hahaha yeah, I'd probably be doing history degree next year if I was decent at it. Find history super interesting but can't write essays well enough. I'll just stick to reading history books.
Original post by DraftMeteor
Hahaha yeah, I'd probably be doing history degree next year if I was decent at it. Find history super interesting but can't write essays well enough. I'll just stick to reading history books.

If you love it, do it! You don't want to forever regret not taking the chance to study it.

As regards to essays, read this article; http://www.historytoday.com/robert-pearce/how-write-good-history-essay

It turned my essay writing right around!
Reply 15
I personally think it's disrespectful NOT to teach it. One of the most horrific times in history should be made aware by everyone. Yes I agree that the extent of their suffering is extremely difficult to convey in a manner for us to understand but it should definitely be taught no questions asked.

I read a book called 'The Storyteller' by Jodi Picoult which is based on the holocaust and some chapters are written from the point of view of a refugee. I cried so many times in the duration of reading this book; I highly recommend it.

Whilst it is obviously a topic that can be studied historically (it has origin/effects etc), is it disrespectful to teach it, as no single person can do justice in conveying the absolute horror, or should it be taught as part of a lesson for humanity?

Of course it should be taught.

Have you been watching The History Boys by any chance?

And yes I think it should be taught. The only 'benefit' that can come from such atrocities is that they enable us to learn from the past and ensure it never happens again. If it wasn't taught, and was never mentioned, it could end up being forgotten as the last Holocaust survivors die and their memories die with them - surely it would be more disrespectful to not teach it as that would be almost like pretending it never happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it should be taught :curious:
No doubt it should be taught.

Latest

Trending

Trending