The Student Room Group

Am I retarded?

Feeling very down because I genuinely feel like I am retarded. I couldn't take the light bulb out of a light despite the fact that I was trying really hard and 2 other people didn't seem to have any problem with taking it out. What is wrong with me? It's not just this, I remember another time where somebody asked me to help them take some liquid kind of thing out of a tube so they could apply it to their hands and I struggled to do it. Somebody else came and did it so clearly I was the problem not the thing itself. What can I do to improve on things like this? I am genuinely upset and feel like something is wrong with me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i would recommend speaking to a counsellor/professional in this matter.
you know everyone's like that at something lol :wink: i cannot do experiments to save my life, play football, the list is endless..
We all sometimes struggle to do basic tasks. I dont really know who you can improve I guess you can practice taking light bulbs out lol
Reply 3
Original post by Radk
i would recommend speaking to a counsellor/professional in this matter.
you know everyone's like that at something lol :wink: i cannot do experiments to save my life, play football, the list is endless..

what kind of professional? What type of experiments.. I am the same :frown: I don't know if it's my mindset or if I'm just crap, but thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Error404OLE
We all sometimes struggle to do basic tasks. I dont really know who you can improve I guess you can practice taking light bulbs out lol

Really? Why do you think that is the case? ahaha thanks I think I need to give that a try! :smile:
Maybe
HAHAHA this made me laugh. I just moved into a new flat and theres no lightbulb in my lamp and Ive been putting off buying one because Im sure I wouldnt be able to put it in anyway... :bawling:

One thing I dont understand is when girls struggle to open a bottle of water or something...i see it all the time. I always do it for them and theyre like how did you do that omg????? Are girls really that physically weak? I must be some kind of superwoman
Original post by Anonymous
Really? Why do you think that is the case? ahaha thanks I think I need to give that a try! :smile:

I think its because we tend to over analyse the simple tasks and usually prefer a challenge. Well I do.
Reply 8
Original post by College_Dropout
Maybe

Appreciate the honesty
Reply 9
Original post by driftawaay
HAHAHA this made me laugh. I just moved into a new flat and theres no lightbulb in my lamp and Ive been putting off buying one because Im sure I wouldnt be able to put it in anyway... :bawling:

One thing I dont understand is when girls struggle to open a bottle of water or something...i see it all the time. I always do it for them and theyre like how did you do that omg????? Are girls really that physically weak? I must be some kind of superwoman

Loool, you sound responsible seeing as you're moving into a new flat haha same here, I don't really struggle with opening things but Idk some other things I am really bad at like putting lights in :frown:
Original post by driftawaay

I don't think anyone can be that physically weak haha :P

I think it's more down to grabbing the attention of guys and stimulating the 'damsel in distress' help mode.

Creates attraction as it gives the man the illusion of regaining his fundamental role back of protection/looking after women which we've so lost in the recent days of social security --> police and such.

...or I could be looking to deep into it and some water bottles are just too hard to open :wink:
Original post by iAmanze

I think it's more down to grabbing the attention of guys and stimulating the 'damsel in distress' help mode.

Creates attraction as it gives the man the illusion of regaining his fundamental role back of protection/looking after women which we've so lost in the recent days of social security --> police and such.

...or I could be looking to deep into it and some water bottles are just too hard to open :wink:

Nah brah Im a girl xo
I'm also like this, just never been good with practical things! this post cheers me up and doubtless others too who just have problems with practicality
Original post by iAmanze

So my mother is hitting on me? F***'s sake noooo....
Reply 14
Feeling very down because I genuinely feel like I am retarded. I couldn't take the light bulb out of a light despite the fact that I was trying really hard and 2 other people didn't seem to have any problem with taking it out. What is wrong with me? It's not just this, I remember another time where somebody asked me to help them take some liquid kind of thing out of a tube so they could apply it to their hands and I struggled to do it. Somebody else came and did it so clearly I was the problem not the thing itself. What can I do to improve on things like this? I am genuinely upset and feel like something is wrong with me.

I'm exactly the same as you; welcome to the club. :biggrin:
Original post by User23
I'm exactly the same as you; welcome to the club. :biggrin:

Original post by MJlover
I'm also like this, just never been good with practical things! this post cheers me up and doubtless others too who just have problems with practicality

Omg really? Guys we have a problem! LOL I guess we just need to practice things? How are you on practical experiments at school? I was so self conscious and bad at them, I think one time I had a panic attack and went to the toilet.
Oh and the other day I took ages crumbling cheese out of a packet... I've no idea why I didn't just rip the bloody packet open and crumble it all in one go but I did it like a bloody baby! Why am I like this :frown:
Omg really? Guys we have a problem! LOL I guess we just need to practice things? How are you on practical experiments at school? I was so self conscious and bad at them, I think one time I had a panic attack and went to the toilet.

I can't remember cos school was so long ago, but once I was once doing a course at uni and they asked me to do a simple working out on a graph, lol the teacher had to step in.
Original post by MJlover
I can't remember cos school was so long ago, but once I was once doing a course at uni and they asked me to do a simple working out on a graph, lol the teacher had to step in.

A working out? That's not a practical thing though is it.. isn't it mental?
A working out? That's not a practical thing though is it.. isn't it mental?

ok maybe but im clueless in practical things in general like electrics and light bulbs or opening cans lool

Quick Reply

Latest