The Student Room Group

Your advice on this dilemma?

I'm in year 12, getting ready to apply to universities later this year, hopefully. I study ICT, English, Psychology and Economics—all of which I chose as I have some sort of interest in them. However...

I cannot take ICT onto degree level, as it's not really a valid subject for most good universities—however, it is closest to what I want to do;

I do not want to take English as although I enjoy reading and essay writing, it doesn't enable me to obtain a job in the field I am most interested in;

Psychology is over-saturated and generally frowned upon, and working in mental health is not something I am passionate about;

At degree level, economics requires—at most good universities—at least a maths AS level or an A at GCSE; I, however, obtained a B, and I find more complex mathematics more difficult to grasp than others.

What I really want to do at uni is computer science. However, the mathematical emphasis is dissuading me, but I am hugely enthusiastic about working in the field. I wasn't able to take computing at A level due to the timetable clashes, although I have heard it's not necessary anyway.

So here's my question: pursue something I find boring but I'm good at (an essay-writing subject), or something I find interesting but I'm bad at? Even if it means coming out of uni with a lower-class degree?

Really stressed out over this. Any help is appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Look at other computing related degrees. There are more out there than just ICT or computer science, so you might find one that you like! Or you could consider a joint degree, and do a mix of two subjects.

Another option is to consider a different degree entirely. There are degrees where you don't need specific A Levels - you could look at law, as an example.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Look at other computing related degrees. There are more out there than just ICT or computer science, so you might find one that you like! Or you could consider a joint degree, and do a mix of two subjects.

Another option is to consider a different degree entirely. There are degrees where you don't need specific A Levels - you could look at law, as an example.

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked into foundation years and such, although a joint degree is food for thought. I'm just worried I'll invest so much time, effort and money into a degree which I enjoy, but come out with a poor result.

I've considered law, but the interest is really not there. Trying to balance out obtaining a respected degree with good employment prospects whilst have an interest in it and being knowledgeable in the subject is near impossible.
Original post by Kiytt
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked into foundation years and such, although a joint degree is food for thought. I'm just worried I'll invest so much time, effort and money into a degree which I enjoy, but come out with a poor result.

I've considered law, but the interest is really not there. Trying to balance out obtaining a respected degree with good employment prospects whilst have an interest in it and being knowledgeable in the subject is near impossible.

If you enjoy a subject enough then you should be willing to put the work in to get a good grade don't pick something that you don't love. Respected in what way are you thinking?going to a "good uni" means nothing if you don't have enough passion in the subject . Do you have any career ideas?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If you enjoy a subject enough then you should be willing to put the work in to get a good grade don't pick something that you don't love. Respected in what way are you thinking?going to a "good uni" means nothing if you don't have enough passion in the subject . Do you have any career ideas?

The thing is, hard work just won't cut it. I cannot grasp advanced maths without guidance, but my school's maths department is terrible and I cannot afford a personal tutor. Maths is not my passion—but something computer-related is, but I can't do anything related without maths. That is my problem.

Respected, by which I mean STEM. No, I'm not one of those brainwashed kids that think science and engineering is the be-all-and-end-all of degrees, but it's undoubtedly more beneficial for employment prospects.

You're right, but I'm not sure what unis I'll even be able to apply to until I get my results. I'm predicted AAAA, but I greatly doubt I'll come anywhere near. I did almost no revision whatsoever. If I do badly across the board, I'm willing to retake year 12 and maybe do maths, but I'm not sure.

I don't even have any "dream job". If I had to have one, I'd say a video game designer or developer, but that's a pretty niche field; with a computer science degree, I could pretty much get any job related to computers and programming, which is the field I am keen in. I can't imagine myself in any other area.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
The thing is, hard work just won't cut it. I cannot grasp advanced maths without guidance, but my school's maths department is terrible and I cannot afford a personal tutor. Maths is not my passion—but something computer-related is, but I can't do anything related without maths. That is my problem.

Respected, by which I mean STEM. No, I'm not one of those brainwashed kids that think science and engineering is the be-all-and-end-all of degrees, but it's undoubtedly more beneficial for employment prospects.

You're right, but I'm not sure what unis I'll even be able to apply to until I get my results. I'm predicted AAAA, but I greatly doubt I'll come anywhere near. I did almost no revision whatsoever. If I do badly across the board, I'm willing to retake year 12 and maybe do maths, but I'm not sure.

Can you distance learn a fast tracked a levels maths course? Gets rid of the necessity to resit a year if you get 3 good as grades possibly.
I can think of a few computer related options that don't always ask for maths such as forensic computing and theres plenty of design related computing courses(as you say you dont want to do that though) but i m not sure the what the cross over is or if there's much at all. I know you think IT is useless, i know someone who got a first and went straight into 28k job with it, did a placement year 2nd year and had 3 job offers on graduation:P

If your heart is really set on doing computer science and you dont have maths but still get good grades for as, there is nothing wrong with doing a foundation year in my opinion if you come out with a good grade at the end of the degree. Nice to see someone thats not too stem brainwashed on tsr, i ve been told that my chosen subject(i ve just finished a hnd now doing a bsc nhs degree) isn't stem or academic loads of times on here (government list says its stem but yeah:wink:):P
Reply 6
Original post by Kiytt
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean that you have to do law. I meant that there are a range of courses that you can do even if you haven't done the subject at A Level, and one such subject is law.

People think that different subjects are respected, so that doesn't really mean much. But generally, to get a good mark in something you have to enjoy it - so that's the most important bit. Even if you do the most "respected" degree ever, it won't be any good if you fail it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending