The Student Room Group

CV problems...do you I have to state a previously failed degree on my CV?

I didn't quite fail...I performed disgracefully in my primary year at my previous University (third) and withdrew at the end of my second year (a lot of things occurred).
Now I am at another University, will I have to mention my previous academic history i.e. state it on my CV or can I ignore it? I took my A-levels (first time - A*A*A) within a year and was accepted by a target so there is no gap...

Your CV gives you the opportunity to promote yourself so personally I would not mention it but I am worried about the background checks.

What are your thoughts?
Your CV is your highlights reel. Do not mention this! It's a 'lowlight'. :wink:
Yes you should put all your shortcomings on the document that will determine whether you get a job or not.
Original post by ReggaeRich
Your CV is your highlights reel. Do not mention this! It's a 'lowlight'. :wink:

If I didn't mention it, could they actually find out?
Reply 4
Original post by EquityResearch
I didn't quite fail...I performed disgracefully in my primary year at my previous University (third) and withdrew at the end of my second year (a lot of things occurred).
Now I am at another University, will I have to mention my previous academic history i.e. state it on my CV or can I ignore it? I took my A-levels (first time - A*A*A) within a year and was accepted by a target so there is no gap...

Your CV gives you the opportunity to promote yourself so personally I would not mention it but I am worried about the background checks.

What are your thoughts?
For the purposes of a CV, you wouldn't need to mention this. However, if you are applying for the kind of job (eg the Police) where they ask you to account for every moment of your life, you will have to mention it in your application (these sorts of processes usually prevent you from submitting a CV anyway, you have to complete a very detailed application form instead, probably online). Otherwise it depends on the question you are asked, as in:

What qualifications do you have? No need to mention it.
List every educational institution you have ever attended, whether you gained a qualification or not: you would have to declare it

If in doubt, mention it. You do not want to miss out on an opportunity because it comes to light that you weren't wholly truthful. If you have turned yourself around, whatever it was that got in the way the first time, that is in your favour.
Original post by Minerva
For the purposes of a CV, you wouldn't need to mention this. However, if you are applying for the kind of job (eg the Police) where they ask you to account for every moment of your life, you will have to mention it in your application (these sorts of processes usually prevent you from submitting a CV anyway, you have to complete a very detailed application form instead, probably online). Otherwise it depends on the question you are asked, as in:

What qualifications do you have? No need to mention it.
List every educational institution you have ever attended, whether you gained a qualification or not: you would have to declare it

If in doubt, mention it. You do not want to miss out on an opportunity because it comes to light that you weren't wholly truthful. If you have turned yourself around, whatever it was that got in the way the first time, that is in your favour.

Thank you very much for your reply, although it would be an automatic rejection I am afraid as the field of profession that I am going for is very competitive.

If they asked me to list all educational institutions that I have ever attended I would without a doubt state it but seeing that there is no gap on my CV I am tempted to eradicate it and start from the beginning.

But then again, I don't want to take the opportunity away from a person who has consistently worked hard. I think I will mention it... :frown:
Thank you very much for your reply, although it would be an automatic rejection I am afraid as the field of profession that I am going for is very competitive.

If they asked me to list all educational institutions that I have ever attended I would without a doubt state it but seeing that there is no gap on my CV I am tempted to eradicate it and start from the beginning.

But then again, I don't want to take the opportunity away from a person who has consistently worked hard. I think I will mention it... :frown:

don't mention it, srs. the industry is elitist enough already, it would almost certainly put you in negative light.
Original post by gr8wizard10
don't mention it, srs. the industry is elitist enough already, it would almost certainly put you in negative light.

Hey, what does the background check involve?
Hey, what does the background check involve?

academic history, proof of residence, employment status, criminal record checks, references

you could probably find a more in depth answer to that q on google.

i filled out a screening application today which was requested, and those ^ were the generic stuff they wanted with some proof of documents which i had to scan through
academic history, proof of residence, employment status, criminal record checks, references

you could probably find a more in depth answer to that q on google.

i filled out a screening application today which was requested, and those ^ were the generic stuff they wanted with some proof of documents which i had to scan through

When you say academic history, what exactly do you mean?Are they only interested in your degree and your A-levels or will they even ask about your GCSEs?
I am not afraid about the rest but only my academic history is making me nervous.I have been doing my research, but still haven't discovered an answer to my inquiry.
When you say academic history, what exactly do you mean?Are they only interested in your degree and your A-levels or will they even ask about your GCSEs?
I am not afraid about the rest but only my academic history is making me nervous.I have been doing my research, but still haven't discovered an answer to my inquiry.

no idea, i guess it depends on what the requirements are for the programme and whether you've met them.

my previous employer (for instance) asked me to scan through all my a level and gcse results, so there's that.
no idea, i guess it depends on what the requirements are for the programme and whether you've met them.

my previous employer (for instance) asked me to scan through all my a level and gcse results, so there's that.

I see, thanks for your help.
Reply 12

For my background check I had to precisely account for the last five years.

i.e. put down when I was in education and account for any gaps.
Original post by Noble.
For my background check I had to precisely account for the last five years.

i.e. put down when I was in education and account for any gaps.

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending