The Student Room Group

Foundation Tier dilemma in Physics, please help

Alright, I'd firstly like to go over the fact that I'm a triple science student and my aspiration is to do Physics for A-Level. My Physics teacher put us into practice mocks, I was put into foundation because I had done bad in my end of topic test like everyone else whom later on were allowed to do higher. So I got a C in the foundation which meant that my teacher would give me a chance to give the practise higher paper a go which I did terribly at. I'm in year 10 currently, and I have PPEs for all of my subjects, for all of them I've been put in higher except Physics which I'm doing foundation on. I've gone on many forums and I've heard that mocks determine which paper you'd do for GCSE and if that's the case, then I'm in deep trouble.
I really really want to do Higher in my Physics GCSE paper in the future because I want to do Physics for A-level and doing foundation would mean that the maximum grade I could get is a 'C'.
Could anyone possibly tell me if there's anything I could do to ensure that I can do Higher tier papers for GCSE Physics in the future?
Ps: My Physics teacher won't be around in Year 11...
Reply 1
I have to do a Higher GCSE Paper in order to do Physics for A-Level; as a B grade is the requirement.
Just learn the revision guide it's really EASY.
Reply 3
I really don't want to discourage you but if two of the mocks went that badly are you sure you should be doing physics a level? Is there any reason or is there a key topic you've missed/hasn't quite clicked yet? Don't worry we've all had bad test grades, it doesn't mean you're bad at the subject😄 but it's just A level is quite a step up from GCSE and you need to think realistically whether you can cope. If not talk to your science teacher and ask to do another mock at lunchtime (which you should prepare for, CGP is quite good).
Original post by Aquila 7
I have to do a Higher GCSE Paper in order to do Physics for A-Level; as a B grade is the requirement.

Get your mock paper back.
Get a revision guide and revise the topics you did badly on and ensure you understand them fully.
During the summer revise everything you have studied in physics and test your knowledge doing relevant questions from past papers.
When you go back in September tell them what you have done over the summer and if they are putting you in for foundation ask to try another practice exam to prove you have improved.
If they give you a second chance and you can't do better, consider whether A level physics is really for you.
Work hard in lessons next year and make sure you revise properly for the mock exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Get your mock paper back.
Get a revision guide and revise the topics you did badly on and ensure you understand them fully.
During the summer revise everything you have studied in physics and test your knowledge doing relevant questions from past papers.
When you go back in September tell them what you have done over the summer and if they are putting you in for foundation ask to try another practice exam to prove you have improved.
If they give you a second chance and you can't do better, consider whether A level physics is really for you.
Work hard in lessons next year and make sure you revise properly for the mock exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks mate, I'll take your advice on board. I'd usually get A-A* in physics, I've been a bit lazy this year meaning all my subjects are A grades apart from physics.
Reply 6
M m

Quick Reply

Latest