The Student Room Group

Extremely low 2:1, Masters at a good Uni still possible?

Hi, so I've just got my degree results back and I am a bit disheartened about my plans for the future.

I took a multiple subject course and I have encountered limitations with one part of it that really affected my marks.

First year : 54%
Second year : 56%
Third Year : 63%

The thing is, the majority of my grades are well over the 60% mark with half of them over 65%. A few modules are extremely low though (40-55%) and have really dragged my average down.

So I am graduating with a 60.7%, which obviously is basically a bare minimum 2:1. I am not applying to a Masters this year owing to the fact that I am intending to do it in a largely unrelated field. This year I am intending to start my own company based on a product I have been working on on the side for some time now (which is related to the field I want to do a Masters in).

I also discovered that I have dyspraxia at the very end of the degree (last exam cycle) based on a suggestion from a lecturer to get it checked out, if that means anything.

Are my chances any good? I had had aspirations to do a Masters abroad or at a top tier uni.
Reply 1
Original post by ZakFill
Hi, so I've just got my degree results back and I am a bit disheartened about my plans for the future.

I took a multiple subject course and I have encountered limitations with one part of it that really affected my marks.

First year : 54%
Second year : 56%
Third Year : 63%

The thing is, the majority of my grades are well over the 60% mark with half of them over 65%. A few modules are extremely low though (40-55%) and have really dragged my average down.

So I am graduating with a 60.7%, which obviously is basically a bare minimum 2:1. I am not applying to a Masters this year owing to the fact that I am intending to do it in a largely unrelated field. This year I am intending to start my own company based on a product I have been working on on the side for some time now (which is related to the field I want to do a Masters in).

I also discovered that I have dyspraxia at the very end of the degree (last exam cycle) based on a suggestion from a lecturer to get it checked out, if that means anything.

Are my chances any good? I had had aspirations to do a Masters abroad or at a top tier uni.

Depends on what you mean by a "top tier uni", but I don't see a reason why you couldn't, because I know people whose results were almost every year slightly above the 60-point minimum and they secured places at respeted universities. It obviously depends on the subject you want to apply for as well. I also applied abroad - to the universities in the Czech Republic - and they didn't care about my results as long as I convinced them in the interviews. They don't operate conditional offers, if you get in and get a degree of any result, you are in.
Reply 2
A 2:1 is a 2:1. I've never seen anywhere ask for a 'high 2:1', unless maybe you were hoping to get in somewhere that requires a first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Ftmshk

A 2:1 is a 2:1. I've never seen anywhere ask for a 'high 2:1', unless maybe you were hoping to get in somewhere that requires a first?Posted from TSR Mobile
For PhD studentships they sometimes ask high 2.1 or first, but in the end they all ask for 2.1 or above.I went from one of the bottom universities in thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk (not even ranked in topuniversities.com) with a low 2.1 (60 I think lol just scratched) to QMUL (a Russel group member) with merit (maybe distinction if the dissertation goes very well). Now I am trying to find a PhD and most of them ask 2.1, very very few high 2.1. In the end, like Ftmshk said, a 2.1 is 2.1 :smile:Good luck!
Original post by Ftmshk
A 2:1 is a 2:1. I've never seen anywhere ask for a 'high 2:1', unless maybe you were hoping to get in somewhere that requires a first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen it from UCL and Cambridge for some courses
Reply 5
Original post by Ftmshk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxbridge do as a rule- for the degrees for which they accept a 2:1 rather than a first they give 67% or above as their conditions. So depends how "top tier" the unis must be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending