The Student Room Group

Why don't anti-gay marriage people make the same fuss about divorce?

Divorce is definitely prohibited in the Bible, and Jesus Christ himself spoke out about it. Yet, divorce has been allowed for decades now and the number of people getting divorced is growing, and no doubt much higher than the number of gay couples marrying.

So why don't we see the same passion and call for divorce to be abolished?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because that doesn't suit them. They might want to get divorced one day but they definitely don't want to gay marry so divorce = OK, gay marriage = not OK
Original post by driftawaay
Because that doesn't suit them. They might want to get divorced one day but they definitely don't want to gay marry so divorce = OK, gay marriage = not OK

It's certainly an odd logic, especially as there were 118,140 divorces in 2012, which was apparently a 0.5 rise on the previous year. So it's more of a pressing, bigger issue yet gay marriage sparks their passion and disdain.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Divorce is definitely prohibited in the Bible, and Jesus Christ himself spoke out about it. Yet, divorce has been allowed for decades now and the number of people getting divorced is growing, and no doubt much higher than the number of gay couples marrying.

So why don't we see the same passion and call for divorce to be abolished?

Because our brains aren't up our asses.
Reply 4
Not everyone who is against gay marriage follows the Bible you know...
It's certainly an odd logic, especially as there were 118,140 divorces in 2012, which was apparently a 0.5 rise on the previous year. So it's more of a pressing, bigger issue yet gay marriage sparks their passion and disdain.

Well yeah, they don't campaign against the legality of premarital sex either...or shaving.... because they like to do those things. :h:
Honestly this is like asking why KKK members dont call for the murder of white people. Its because they are white themselves. :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Not everyone who is against gay marriage follows the Bible you know...

Is divorce, and I mean divorce as allowed by current secular law, allowed in the Qur'an? If not, then the same logic applies to not campaigning against pre-marital sex as the user above refers to.
Simple answer - they're homophobes. Also to the user above, divorce is completely fine under Islamic law.
Reply 8
Is divorce, and I mean divorce as allowed by current secular law, allowed in the Qur'an? If not, then the same logic applies to not campaigning against pre-marital sex as the user above refers to.

Yes.

I don't think it does. Pre-marital sex is usually something done in private, whereas marriage is usually something that is expressed as a very public statement. Pre-marital sex is simply "not banned", whereas marriage is actively and officially recognised by the state.

Why do you personally think it is that people are more likely to actively campaign against the legality of gay marriage rather than the legality of gay sex?

Also, yes - divorce is allowed by the Qur'an. (Though I don't know what in particular you're referring to when you say "as allowed by current, secular law")
(edited 8 years ago)
Divorce isn't seen as a lack of morals the way homosexuality is to many religious groups. I personally don't care but that's certainly the rationale.
Marriages last and some don't. Not everyone who is against gay marriage bases it on the bible.

There are a large number of reasons why divorce happens
I don't know about you but I can't be sure of the mind of a man I've never met before.
However, "lacking morals" is technically not the definition of a phobia.
Reply 13
Divorce was brought in by Henry VIII, it's been around for centuries. Gary marriage hasn't. It's always the new thing that cause a commotion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Because it's easier to fight something that isn't already established.

In Ireland, where divorce was illegal until relatively recently, it certainly was an issue. In 1986, it was roundly defeated in a referendum. In 1995, it got through on a margin of 50.28%.

In both cases, it was fought vigorously against by opponents. There were high profile legal challenges to it.

The same process happened in Malta in 2011. Divorce was legalised in a referendum with a reasonably narrow result: 53.16% in favour. The Roman Catholic church campaigned actively against it.

Original post by driftawaay

I suspect anyone who was devoutly religious wouldn't want to get divorced.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Man.bear.pig
Divorce isn't seen as a lack of morals the way homosexuality is to many religious groups. I personally don't care but that's certainly the rationale.

Odd rationale considering it goes against one of the major tenets of the Bible, and one that Jesus himself referred to.
Odd rationale considering it goes against one of the major tenets of the Bible, and one that Jesus himself referred to.

Divorce doesn't prevent natural birth and before the divorce, a conception of a child could happen not only naturally but within wedlock. So it doesn't have the consequences that homosexuality does but anyway i really don't care, please don't quote me again here. I don't feel like discussing this any further.
Religion is always at least 40 years behind popular opinion, probably because it's patriarchal, it's led by elderly men and they influence opinion.
Original post by Andy98
Divorce was brought in by Henry VIII, it's been around for centuries. Gary marriage hasn't. It's always the new thing that cause a commotion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poor Gary :frown:
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't think it does. Pre-marital sex is usually something done in private, whereas marriage is usually something that is expressed as a very public statement.

But, in practice I am more likely to see a drunk couple shagging on a Saturday night in the street than I am a gay marriage (which would require me to enter private premises and crash a wedding).

It's also rather odd that a person may be sitting in London angry about a gay marriage going on miles away in Brighton, but perfectly fine with the unmarried couple having sex next door.

So, I don't think it's physically 'public'. The only public part of it is that the state recognises it upon certain documents being signed; I think that's a minor point.

Pre-marital sex is simply "not banned", whereas marriage is actively and officially recognised by the state.

You make a good point, but surely pre-marital sex is officially recognised by the state as being a lawful act? Everything is officially recognised by the state in some way as being a lawful act, an unlawful act, an act that entitles you to certain rights, etc.

Why do you personally think it is that people are more likely to actively campaign against the legality of gay marriage rather than the legality of gay sex?

I think it's because it's new and fresh; allowing gay sex is too entrenched to be something validly campaigned against. The same attitudes were prevalent when gay sex was mooted as being legalised in the 1960s.

Also, yes - divorce is allowed by the Qur'an. (Though I don't know what in particular you're referring to when you say "as allowed by current, secular law":wink:

Basically, can a man and woman get divorced in the same way (disregarding the religious symbolism) and for the same reasons as in secular law?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending