The Student Room Group

How good are CUNY Universities in the United States?

I am thinking of transferring to one of the CUNY Universities in New York this or next year from my current university (Auckland University in New Zealand). Do you think it would be worth the effort? I will be studying accounting/finance at undergraduate level and am thinking of also doing law. Please, if anyone has had any experience with CUNY or have heard anything, your input will be greatly appreciated :hippie:
Reply 1
Original post by CatCatherine
I am thinking of transferring to one of the CUNY Universities in New York this or next year from my current university (Auckland University in New Zealand). Do you think it would be worth the effort? I will be studying accounting/finance at undergraduate level and am thinking of also doing law. Please, if anyone has had any experience with CUNY or have heard anything, your input will be greatly appreciated :hippie:
I've moved this into a different forum, where I hope someone will be able to give you some feedback :smile:
Original post by Minerva
I've moved this into a different forum, where I hope someone will be able to give you some feedback :smile:

Thank you! :grin:
The reason CUNY colleges aren't ranked in those listings is that they aren't offering the same things as e.g. NYU, Columbia etc. The CUNY colleges are primarily undergraduate teaching intstitutions, and also offer some Master's degrees, but are categorically not research institutions. Only CUNY graduate school is a research institution. Because of the way the US News rankings are organized, it can only appear in certain of the lists; a CUNY college can't appear in the national universities ranking, for instance. Though, I'm pretty sure a few do count as universities: possibly Hunter and Queens.

Anyway, that's just to say that it's not necessarily very useful to compare it to e.g. Columbia by using the US News rankings.

The CUNY colleges have a fine reputation for teaching and offer a good education at a good price for in-state students, which is what they are intended to do. As an international student, you'd certainly get a fine education, but if you are looking for the prestige that goes with attending a huge research university, like Columbia, well no...that's not what CUNY offers.
(edited 8 years ago)
But you didn't explain that to the OP - so they could, quite easily, make the assumption that, say, Hunter College, doesn't appear in the National University rankings because it's not as 'good' of a university as Columbia. I was just clarifying that they aren't competing, because you didn't.
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but: you introduced the US News rankings ostensibly as a tool of comparison between CUNY colleges and other schools; all I'm saying is that it isn't a very useful tool for comparing CUNY colleges with bigger research universities. Hardly a massively contestable point, I would think.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending