The Student Room Group

What's the worst/ most overrated piece of art?

Saw this article in the independent this morning:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/queen-perplexed-by-painting-from-german-president-is-that-supposed-to-be-my-father-10342064.html
Apparently the Queen wasn't impressed with this painting. It's supposed to depict her and her father:

Got me thinking: what's the worst/ most overrated piece of art? I'm gonna start off controversial and say the Mona Lisa. Its just a boring picture of a woman. I don't get it.

Its even worse in real life: tiny little painting in a massive room. You have to queue for hours to see it. Very underwhelming.

Scroll to see replies

The popular opinion of the art world is its own entity, a fickle, inimical and alien creature. It operates by rules of its own arbitrary making, and which includes many strange criteria, but which excludes most strongly the more reliable ones such as objectivity, technicality, normality, aesthetics, and similar things.
Tracey Enim's bed. How that sold for 2.5 million I'll never know
Reply 3
Anything Damien Hirst has ever done.
Anything that sells for over say a million but more importantly ends up in a private collection.
Reply 5
Pollock's n°5:

$140,000,000
:-|

Gauguin's When Will You Marry?:

$300,000,000
:eek:
It's all **** and over-priced
i literally cannot deal with all those overpriced paintings, some people in my art class back in middle school were way better than some of these 'artists' with their ****ty 'art'
Reply 9

It can't be emphasised enough how overrated Damian Hirst is.
Original post by tengentoppa

Loool legit came to say "Tracey Emin's weird condom thing". The bed, that's the one.
ye its a pretty crap painting tbh. I could do better ngl lmao.
Original post by tengentoppa

I'm an artist, can paint and draw well, and I genuinely disagree with you, for several reasons.
If you've ever seen the thing in the flesh you'll know that it's got atmosphere. I know so many young women whose bedrooms look like that, and all the objects in it are part of their lives. It definitely means something to some people - it did to me when I saw it. It was also created with aesthetic consideration, and has the capacity to have a profound emotional impact on people, so I'd say it definitely is a piece of art.
She was also incredibly imaginative and daring to do that.
What Tracey Emin did for art more than anything else was to make it a means of personal expression and liberation from the dark things in life that hold you down and that has been inspirational for many.
Original post by Josb
Pollock's n°5:

$140,000,000
:-|

Gauguin's When Will You Marry?:

$300,000,000
:eek:

Well we've found our first philistine. Those are both great paintings and they mean a lot to a lot of people.
Besides, the pricing of artwork shouldn't be taken into account when considering best/worst art. Pricing is fleeting and based around trends, it's a combination of aesthetics, the maturity, the meaning and the emotional effect of the artwork that counts.
Reply 14
Original post by banoffeee

Besides, the pricing of artwork shouldn't be taken into account when considering best/worst art. Pricing is fleeting and based around trends, it's a combination of aesthetics, the maturity, the meaning and the emotional effect of the artwork that counts.

PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Orange, red, yellow by Mark Rothko
sold for 86.9 million dollars :colonhash:
n
Original post by pagorai
Orange, red, yellow by Mark Rothko
sold for 86.9 million dollars :colonhash:
n

What do you know about this artwork/artist?
Reply 17
Why is price relevant? Gold is super expensive but it's just lumps of metal no one has put any effort into. Totes overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by banoffeee
What do you know about this artwork/artist?

This painting is suppose to produce an impression under correct conditions i guess.
All modern art. I once saw an exhibition where a guy basically massacred animals and made them come back to life. He dressed ants and **** up as soldier and made them fight. He had to robins eating each other's intestines. Personally I'd have him sectioned but I forget his name now. Anyway, he earned a lot of money for basically being a hillbilly with a lot of glue.

Quick Reply

Latest