The Student Room Group

What's the worst/ most overrated piece of art?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Captain Josh
All modern art

Lol the ignorance is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Lol the ignorance is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I make a point of it. Actually I'm speaking from experience, I'm not generalising at all. I've been to many exhibitions and I've seen a lot, and from my experience I can say that I don't like modern art. And then some smartarse will say anything after the year x is modern art, but what I'm talking about is the physical construction art, not the paintings. Milk bottles in a pile. A globe in a fridge. Yes, well done your art has a shallow and unimaginative meaning. With paintaings, aka real art, you could look at them for hours and still not know what the artist was trying to say. You have to analyse the colours, look at the angles, find hidden messages and allegories... with modern art, well, yeah... it's a globe in a fridge. Do you get paid for this ****?
"Canvas Painted Blue with a White Line Sells for $44 Million"

"Newman (painter) overwhelms and seduces the viewer with the totality of its sensual, cascading washes of vibrant blue coexisting with Newman’s vertical “Sign” of the human presence, his iconic and revolutionary “zip".

m8.
Original post by pagorai
This painting is suppose to produce an impression under correct conditions i guess.

Rothko was actually working at a time when art had seen all boundaries broken down and artists were grasping the power of art to evoke mood rather than to represent reality. He painted using the human figure a lot when young but came to the conclusion that there were limitations to using the human figure in expressing what he wanted to about the reality of life. In case you thought he was lazy, he worked tirelessly to search for what art mean to him and how he could put down what he truly wanted to express, not what history told him to express. A conscientious, intelligent and sensitive man, he completed very many large scale works experimenting with the interaction between colours in his lifetime, before killing himself in emotional turmoil in 1970.

Spoiler

It really irritates me when people who have absoloutely no idea what the struggles of being an artist are, or about art itself, criticise those who dedicate their lives to it. Pricing, is, as I have already said, irrelevant, just don't do down the artwork itself if you don't know its maker and its historical context
Original post by Captain Josh
All modern art. I once saw an exhibition where a guy basically massacred animals and made them come back to life. He dressed ants and **** up as soldier and made them fight. He had to robins eating each other's intestines. Personally I'd have him sectioned but I forget his name now. Anyway, he earned a lot of money for basically being a hillbilly with a lot of glue.

Yeah bruv all modern art is bull innit.
Original post by Pwyll
It can't be emphasised enough how overrated Damian Hirst is.

yes. he makes Ms Emin look like Michelangelo.

:angry:
Original post by Pwyll
It can't be emphasised enough how overrated Damian Hirst is.

I heard that skull he made was bought by a consortium of dealers that owned his other works in order to bump up the value.
Reply 27
Yep, got to agree with the Mona Lisa. At least modern art has a lot of critics.
lol most mainstream art is. But i find it more interesting finding undervalued artists! some are absolutely amazing and only sell for a couple hundred.
All of em, a Computer could perfectly create a digital copy of any painting from scratch. But create it neater and better in every single way, leaving paintings absolutely useless. Computers do so much these days better than humans so that humans have stopped doing them altogether and left computers to do them. Painting should be the next one added to that list.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
All of em, a Computer could perfectly create a digital copy of any painting from scratch. But create it neater and better in every single way, leaving paintings absolutely useless.

That's boring tho
Original post by blackened_sky
That's boring tho

Way more interesting that a distorted painting that inaccurately represents a picture.
Tracey Emin's bed.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Way more interesting that a distorted painting that inaccurately represents a picture.

Computers only have the capacity to replicate, they don't have the ability to produce real art
Bwa ha ha ha ha.. I had a good laugh seeing some of the comments. xD
Original post by blackened_sky
That's boring tho

What about people who do work digitally on computers/tablets like Roz Hall or Feng Zhu?
anything by Banksy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaDog0127
What about people who do work digitally on computers/tablets like Roz Hall or Feng Zhu?

I know Roz. Didn't know he was so famous. Feel sorta starstruck :O
Original post by TomatoLounge
I know Roz. Didn't know he was so famous. Feel sorta starstruck :O

haha very nice :biggrin: I saw him at a talk when I did my A Levels and he was awesome there :smile:
Original post by AlphaDog0127
haha very nice :biggrin: I saw him at a talk when I did my A Levels and he was awesome there :smile:

cool. this is my favourite of his:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending