The Student Room Group

5 days before first test, Lost every shred of confidence.

OMG KID UR SO ANNOYING. No. This time it's real. It really is.

My test is in five days and I just had my last driving lesson before the test. Let's just say I am wondering whether to call it the worst lesson I've ever had ever or not. I've had some bad lessons, but this one was just abysmal.

I did another mock test today. In my first mock test, I got 3 majors and 5 minors. I was a little disappointed with my number of majors. But today I was so determined to finish the mock test with none or one major. That was my goal. One major or less.

The mock test began. I sailed through the first 10 minutes. My instructor was so confident I was going to walk it. Then on a dual carriageway roundabout, a car was coming, and I misjudged its speed and tried to go. BAM. Dangerous fault. I totally fell to pieces after that. Three minutes later, a narrow road, there was a meeting situation with a lorry. I was totally distressed and already in shreds by then. I dealt so badly with it I got a serious AND a dangerous. My instructor had to intervene TWICE. The last time my instructor had to actually intervene was about 10 lessons ago.

I asked to end the test after that.

He said he was so surprised that this happened. I have no idea why it happened. I just totally fell to pieces. I did a mock test 3 weeks ago and got 3 majors. I did one today, 5 days before my test, and it was so bad we didn't even get half way through it. Absolutely gutted. A knife has just gone right through every last trace of confidence I had.

I've let absolutely everyone down, and I cannot believe this happened. I feel like I am never going to pass. Ever. I have zero confidence left. If we didn't have guests home, I would have just gone straight in and cried on the bed. Absolutely ****ing gutted. Nerves just got to me and I totally lost it when the breaks were applied. A total and utter downgrade from everything I've learned. All my friends have passed first time. I think I can kiss any hope of that goodbye now.
Ride your bicycle around residential roads and pretend you have mirrors and indicators.
On your test start talking with your examiner straight away, find common ground. When I went through my test me and the examiner had a chat on the topic of footie, the friendly discussion put me at ease.
Reply 2
I know it's hard but you need to not put so much pressure on yourself. You say you've let everyone down but I very much doubt anyone but yourself sees it that way. For a start it was only a mock test, secondly it's not unnatural to fail a real test regardless.

On the test just take your time, only move when you are sure it's clear, there's no need to take risks. Obviously you can't sit in one position when multiple chances to move out just go by but really the instructors are just hoping for a safe drive.

Maybe next time it would be wise to not tell anyone about your test, book it and just say you're still doing lessons, that way you may not feel as much outside pressure.
Don't be disheartened, I would actually see this test as a way of seeing what I have done wrong and what I need to make sure I do not do during the test because right now it is better to make these mistakes rather than do it during the test and fail. Go back to the mock test and think of what you could have done better and how it needs improvement and what you think went well and also on the plus side you have time to change the date of your test if you do not feel ready for it but don't let it get you down. All the best for your test :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending