The Student Room Group

so so tired... all the time...... feel like im on the verge of death

yet nothing shows up on the medical tests I had done so far. No thyroid problems, anemia, all the blood work was fine. but still I just feel weaker and weaker every day as if something was sucking out all my life energy, constantly. i do nothing all day, i sleep 12-14 hours, yet im still exhausted, i have no more life goals nor true hobbies anymore. no supplements have helped me. feel free to post your opinion, doctors think im healthy. but i feel like a dead person

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
yet nothing shows up on the medical tests I had done so far. No thyroid problems, anemia, all the blood work was fine. but still I just feel weaker and weaker every day as if something was sucking out all my life energy, constantly. i do nothing all day, i sleep 12-14 hours, yet im still exhausted, i have no more life goals nor true hobbies anymore. no supplements have helped me. feel free to post your opinion, doctors think im healthy. but i feel like a dead person

sleep apnoea comes to mind as a possibility do you always sleep the whole way through the night?
i do nothing all day, i sleep 12-14 hours, yet im still exhausted

Yeah, doing nothing but sleeping will do that. Go outside and exercise during the day. Sleep less, 8/9 hours is plenty.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
sleep apnoea comes to mind as a possibility do you always sleep the whole way through the night?

Yeah, I sleep like a dead person. Never suddenly wake up for no reason, no snoring or anything of that nature.

Original post by blackened_sky
Yeah, doing nothing but sleeping will do that. Go outside and exercise during the day. Sleep less, 8/9 hours is plenty.

The thing is, I had to stop being active and started sleeping more after this tiredness has set in. So it can't be lack of exercise and excessive sleep that's causing this.
Yeah, I sleep like a dead person. Never suddenly wake up for no reason, no snoring or anything of that nature.

The thing is, I had to stop being active and started sleeping more after this tiredness has set in. So it can't be lack of exercise and excessive sleep that's causing this.

it could be that you have a sleep disorder,maybe you dont get enough rem or something, can you request a sleep clinic referal just to be sure?
(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds like chronic fatigue. If that's the case your life is f***ed bro. You're just going to have to deal with it.

Knew a person affected by it, they said upon waking up in the morning they felt more tired than the previous night.

Go to a doctor mate.
Reply 6
it could be that you have a sleep disorder,maybe you dont get enough rem or something, can you request a sleep clinic referal just to be sure?

I don't really know, the doctors don't seem to believe me. Do you know how much would it cost to go private? Also, if it is some kind of sleep disorder, how would they check it and what treatments are available? Sorry if I'm stretching your patience with all those questions.
Reply 7
Original post by ALevelBro
Sounds like chronic fatigue. If that's the case your life is f***ed bro. You're just going to have to deal with it.

Knew a person affected by it, they said upon waking up in the morning they felt more tired than the previous night.

Go to a doctor mate.

Like I said - I had blood work done etc but doctors didn't find anything.
I'm like that too, the more I sleep the more tired I am. Never sleep more than 9 hours at one stretch, wake up and exercise and start your day energetically.
I don't really know, the doctors don't seem to believe me. Do you know how much would it cost to go private? Also, if it is some kind of sleep disorder, how would they check it and what treatments are available? Sorry if I'm stretching your patience with all those questions.

well i know bupa charge £50 to see a private gp and then depends how much a night at your local sleep clinic costs depending on which tests they may need to run. Have you had a skin prick allergy test the only other thought i have is that potentially maybe coeliac disease,

Sleeping more and not doing anything is only going to make it worse.

What's your diet like? Healthy? Do you get plenty of water?

Maybe you have a magnesium deficiency - you can pick up a bottle of about 200 tablets for about £8 so might be worth trying that for a while. May help you have higher quality sleep, thus needing less and having more energy through the day.

Vitamin D deficiency?
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'm like that too, the more I sleep the more tired I am. Never sleep more than 9 hours at one stretch, wake up and exercise and start your day energetically.

Getting out of my bed is difficult enough. Walking a dog for a few minutes daily is the only exercise I can still manage.
I was an active person before this. It's not like laziness did this to me. It's the opposite - tiredness prevented me from continuing life as an active person.
well i know bupa charge £50 to see a private gp and then depends how much a night at your local sleep clinic costs depending on which tests they may need to run. Have you had a skin prick allergy test the only other thought i have is that potentially maybe coeliac disease,

£50 isn't too bad. No I haven't but I don't really have any digestive problems so not sure if it could be that.

Original post by blackened_sky
Sleeping more and not doing anything is only going to make it worse.

What's your diet like? Healthy? Do you get plenty of water?

Maybe you have a magnesium deficiency - you can pick up a bottle of about 200 tablets for about £8 so might be worth trying that for a while. May help you have higher quality sleep, thus needing less and having more energy through the day.

Vitamin D deficiency?

Tried both, vitamin D, magnesium, as well as plenty other supplements, waste of money - didn't do much for me except apart from my blood tests coming back really good.

My diet isn't too bad. I don't eat a lot but it's mostly quality, fresh food - lots of fruit and veg, rarely ever fast foods.
Original post by J_ames
Seriously is it so hard to do some research yourself? I think you'll most likely find it's your lifestyle that's the reason for it all, so stop looking for people to baby you through your life and take some responsibility

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignorant fool, if you would at least bother to read my posts, you would know that lifestyle isn't an issue in my case.

Tried both, vitamin D, magnesium, as well as plenty other supplements, waste of money - didn't do much for me except apart from my blood tests coming back really good.

My diet isn't too bad. I don't eat a lot but it's mostly quality, fresh food - lots of fruit and veg, rarely ever fast foods.

How much is not a lot? It doesn't matter if you're eating healthy foods, if you're not eating enough of them.

Other than that, I've no idea what it could be. As others suggested, go to a sleep clinic. You might want to consider having an MRI scan. If it's not a dietary, or general well being, problem, then it could be serious.
Ignorant fool, if you would at least bother to read my posts, you would know that lifestyle isn't an issue in my case.

Tiredness can have a bit of a vicious circle, in that you feel tired so do less and sleep more. This can easily put you into a rut whereby you actively (subconsciously even) avoid anything strenuous which increases the perception of tiredness when you do do something.

Sleeping 12-14 hours a day and 'doing nothing all day' kind of sounds like your lifestyle may indeed be an issue. Perhaps a slow, graduated return back to activity may be beneficial. This would mean restricting sofa time more and more each day, setting your alarm earlier each morning, challenging yourself to do more exercise each day etc.

A part of this may also be exploring your mood and thoughts. Depression, for example, can manifest itself in insidious ways such as excessive sleeping and tiredness. Could this be going on at all, do you think?
Reply 16

I said 'most likely', for all I know you do have a condition, but probably not, it sounds like you're just making excuses and not making any effort to change anything yourself, not to be mean, just an observation, you say your diet is fine, ok I believe you, but your attitude seems almost like you've convinced yourself there's nothing you can do, you're in a routine of feeling ****ty and sleeping way too much every day so no wonder you feel bad every day, you're accustomed to it, you need to start going to bed the same time every night, waking at the same time every morning, 8 hours, exercise, bloody force yourself to, and drink water, and I mean lots, your body will adapt and change my friend, but I could be totally wrong and have gotten the wrong idea, but hey no harm done from a little help

Posted from TSR Mobile
too much sleep can make you feel lazy idk

Sounds like depression in a nutshell to me
£50 isn't too bad. No I haven't but I don't really have any digestive problems so not sure if it could be that.

you might as well request to see another gp at your surgery and if that doesnt help then at least if you re happy to go private then if you ll pay they ll run every test they can.

Quick Reply

Latest