The Student Room Group

Realistic universities? 2016 applications

Hi everyone, I have just finished my first year of the IT BTEC Extended Diploma course in which I achieved D*D* which is the highest that I could possibly get. Due to this, I am expected to achieve D*D*D* overall after I have completed the upcoming year which starts in September. After this, I am looking at studying computer Science which is focused on Computing and Mathematics in which I only got a grade C (I didn't try much in GCSE's hence I learnt a big lesson form it). I am aware that most higher universities require a grade B in Mathematics at GCSE level so I have been looking at applying for the following universities:

1. University of Kent (Grade C Maths, DDD BTEC, it is also close to me so would save money in accommodation as I could live form home)

2. University of Southampton (Grade C Maths, they said they "Welcome' BTEC applicants)

3. ?

4. ?

5. Bournemouth (Grade C Maths, DMM BTEC)

Those three are in my thoughts so far, are they good choices? Should I even apply for Universities which require a grade B in GCSE Maths?

Thanks in advance to any replies! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Unfortunately Southampton require DDM + A level Maths grade A for Computer Science, however you can get into BSc IT in Organisations with DDD

Have a look at:

Surrey - DDD
QMUL - D*DD
Cardiff - D*D*D*
KCL - DDD
Royal Holloway - DDD
Liverpool - D*DD
Bath - D*D*D*

All very good unis (best you can get into without Maths A level,some require B GCSE Maths though) and accept the Extended Diploma with out Maths A level.

Or if you wanted to do IT, IT Mgmt or similar you could get in somewhere like:

UCL
Manchester
Southampton (as i previously mentioned)
Original post by LeeB96
Hi everyone, I have just finished my first year of the IT BTEC Extended Diploma course in which I achieved D*D* which is the highest that I could possibly get. Due to this, I am expected to achieve D*D*D* overall after I have completed the upcoming year which starts in September. After this, I am looking at studying computer Science which is focused on Computing and Mathematics in which I only got a grade C (I didn't try much in GCSE's hence I learnt a big lesson form it). I am aware that most higher universities require a grade B in Mathematics at GCSE level so I have been looking at applying for the following universities:

1. University of Kent (Grade C Maths, DDD BTEC, it is also close to me so would save money in accommodation as I could live form home)

2. University of Southampton (Grade C Maths, they said they "Welcome' BTEC applicants)

3. ?

4. ?

5. Bournemouth (Grade C Maths, DMM BTEC)

Those three are in my thoughts so far, are they good choices? Should I even apply for Universities which require a grade B in GCSE Maths?

Thanks in advance to any replies! :biggrin:

Any chance of resitting GCSE Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Unfortunately Southampton require DDM + A level Maths grade A for Computer Science, however you can get into BSc IT in Organisations with DDD

Have a look at:

Surrey - DDD
QMUL - D*DD
Cardiff - D*D*D*
KCL - DDD
Royal Holloway - DDD
Liverpool - D*DD
Bath - D*D*D*

All very good unis (best you can get into without Maths A level,some require B GCSE Maths though) and accept the Extended Diploma with out Maths A level.

Or if you wanted to do IT, IT Mgmt or similar you could get in somewhere like:

UCL
Manchester
Southampton (as i previously mentioned)

For Southampton I was looking at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/bsc-computer-science#entry which states "
We welcome applications from candidates offering qualifications other than A and AS levels (including BTEC Higher National Diploma, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate and Scottish Highers). You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant.
"... As they require Mathematics as one of the three A-Levels I don't see how a BTEC could be be equivalent to that.

As for re-taking Maths, I think I probably will however, I will have to have applied latest January 2016 and more than likely around September-October time in which case I would not have taken the exam by then let alone have received the results so I'm also not sure how that would work, possibly a conditional offer? xD

Most importantly, do you think that I would have a chance in applying for a university that requires a grade C or higher in Maths as well as DDD such as the University of Kent?

Cheers :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LeeB96
For Southampton I was looking at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/bsc-computer-science#entry which states "
We welcome applications from candidates offering qualifications other than A and AS levels (including BTEC Higher National Diploma, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate and Scottish Highers). You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant.
"... As they require Mathematics as one of the three A-Levels I don't see how a BTEC could be be equivalent to that.

As for re-taking Maths, I think I probably will however, I will have to have applied latest January 2016 and more than likely around September-October time in which case I would not have taken the exam by then let alone have received the results so I'm also not sure how that would work, possibly a conditional offer? xD

Most importantly, do you think that I would have a chance in applying for a university that requires a grade C or higher in Maths as well as DDD such as the University of Kent?

Cheers :smile:

I have a friend at Southampton who did the Extended Diploma with me and also had to get an A in Maths A level to get in

If you go on their Computer Science course page, click 'How to apply' and the 'Entry requirements' you will see detailed entry requirements including the Extended Diploma which states " 2 Distinctions + and A in Maths A level" so that would be DDM + A in Maths

You can still go to Southampton and study in their ECS (Electronics & Computer Science) department but you would have to do their Information Technology course which is a mix of Computer Science and Business, they require DDD for that with no A level Maths required, and you still get to o a lot of Computer Science modules

Yeah they can give you a conditional offer for it.

I go to Royal Holloway and my offer was DDD + Proof of GCSE Maths grade B or higher

I dont see why you wouldnt get an offer from Kent, although Kent is a very good uni, i would still consider some of the other ones that i previously suggested

I would also very very strongly suggest not living at home, you wont get the proper uni experience and it wont really save you any money because you get a big enough student loan to cover you living costs, seriously even if i was going to a uni 10 mins away i would still move out, living in halls is a great experience and you will seriously regret living at home when you have no social life and everyone else at uni will be making good friendships and going out a lot, everyone i know who made the decision to live at home says its their biggest regret of uni
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending