The Student Room Group

Declaring a disability

Do you have to disclose your disability if its a mild non obvious one? I have a high functioning ASD but im applying for midwifery. Ive had my difficulties in the past but i have adapted over the years with support and my own healthy coping mechanisms. I have done a work placement at maternity and did brilliantly, loved every minute. I communicate well (in my own opinion), i drive, i live independently with my kids. Passed my courses to date etc.

But im terrified that my chosen unis will think my asd will be a problem and i wont get a place. Much of society still have general assumptions about autistic related conditions, such as we cannot adapt to change (we can if we know how), we're impulsive (im certainly not ) and we cannot communicate or empathise, which i can. I know they cant discriminate, but they would need to make decisions based on how suitable they feel i am to the course, and i worry in case i cant prove myself worthy.

I don't want to be dishonest or mislead them or get any of us into trouble. I just want this so much ive worked for best part of a decade up from nothing for midwifery and its the only job for me. Is the disability notification tickbox part an option? Can you choose not to mention it or will that reflect bad on me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BringCoffee
Do you have to disclose your disability if its a mild non obvious one? I have a high functioning ASD but im applying for midwifery. Ive had my difficulties in the past but i have adapted over the years with support and my own healthy coping mechanisms. I have done a work placement at maternity and did brilliantly, loved every minute. I communicate well (in my own opinion), i drive, i live independently with my kids. Passed my courses to date etc.

But im terrified that my chosen unis will think my asd will be a problem and i wont get a place. Much of society still have general assumptions about autistic related conditions, such as we cannot adapt to change (we can if we know how), we're impulsive (im certainly not ) and we cannot communicate or empathise, which i can. I know they cant discriminate, but they would need to make decisions based on how suitable they feel i am to the course, and i worry in case i cant prove myself worthy.

I don't want to be dishonest or mislead them or get any of us into trouble. I just want this so much ive worked for best part of a decade up from nothing for midwifery and its the only job for me. Is the disability notification tickbox part an option? Can you choose not to mention it or will that reflect bad on me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course you can choose not you mention it, if you do you d get more support if you need it. theres the option of only telling student support and not lecturers, you can still apply for dsa that way if you wish. Its not the disability itself its how it affects you and as you ve said you communicate with out any problems so cant see it stopping you:smile: i have dyslexia and dyspraxia and am about to start my nursing degree in september, now way am i letting my conditions get in the way:smile:
Reply 2
Thats amazing! And reassuring, thanks. Did you mention yours at application ? How did you handle it? I know i can do it, i got on so well with the patients and the various professionals, ive never been so sure about anything in my life. The only way it affects me is during difficult exams where ive needed extra time to do data analysis questions. And that helped so i had a solution there x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats amazing! And reassuring, thanks. Did you mention yours at application ? How did you handle it? I know i can do it, i got on so well with the patients and the various professionals, ive never been so sure about anything in my life. The only way it affects me is during difficult exams where ive needed extra time to do data analysis questions. And that helped so i had a solution there x

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes i put it on my ucas and put a small description of the adjustments i need:smile: i ve done another course the past two years and declaring my conditions made the world of help so figured i d definitely declare it again for nursing. I ve been given exam adjustment with a separate room extra time a pc and rest breaks so less painful typing so will make exams more comfortable.
get really hard dates sometimes but you ve got to spin the positives of your conditions and make them to your advantage, like excellent problem solving skills.
I have an ASD aswell (Aspergers) , putting it on the UCAS form allows the uni just to tell you what support they can offer you.

It will have no effect on you getting a place and I'm pretty sure admissions people can't see that you ticked it.

To get exam arrangements you would definitely have to arrange it with your uni's disability department

You sound really confident that you want be a midwife and I bet that will come across more than anything else. Good luck ( feel free to ask me anything :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes put down that you have a disability. I have a physical disability and have been told by the society of my condition. that put it down and also what needs you require e.g note taker. I have found a useful website about UCAS with disabilities which I found very helpful..

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/individual-needs/students-disabilities

before your application it is also important that you visit the university you are applying to before make an appointment, so they can see you as an individual and what specific needs you have.

if you would like to know more I foun the website very helpful and you can always directly message me. I will try and answer your questions as soon as possible.
In short, you don't have to mention your ASD. But you can't whinge (because they didn't know, therefore, they can't help you!) when they don't make reasonable adjustments.

For exam arrangements, you need to apply for disabled students allowance; as this is a long term thing. (whereas breaking the wrist you write with, for example, isn't)

Quick Reply

Latest