The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Management

I have an offer to study Management at the LSE next year and am really looking forward to it.

However, I have certain worries about the course...

Are its employment prospects going to be that of other degrees such as economics?

How well is the Management BSc at LSE perceived by employers and other people? Some people I have spoke to seem to think that it doesn't sound as academic as other courses and so I worry that it wouldn't look as good.
Reply 1
Original post by A12R34
I have an offer to study Management at the LSE next year and am really looking forward to it.

Are its employment prospects going to be that of other degrees such as economics?

How well is the Management BSc at LSE perceived by employers and other people? Some people I have spoke to seem to think that it doesn't sound as academic as other courses and so I worry that it wouldn't look as good.

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on the offer!
more than the actual degree, its the reputation of the uni that counts. LSE has an amazing reputation, there's defos no need for you to worry about job prospects, employers would love to employ any kind of LSE graduates!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by A12R34

You will get conflicting opinions, the negative ones from those who claim to know a lot but actually not as much as they think they do and certainly not enough to make them wiser than those who do provide such courses or those who actually employ them.

Seriously, employment prospects are more than just your degree course or even the university you graduate from. There are many with successful careers with non-Economics degrees and from various universities. There is no doubt that a degree from LSE helps in getting a look-in with most employers, and an LSE Economics degree will be very respected. In reality, any degree from LSE is well recognised by employers who understand that the competitiveness of LSE is an indication of graduates in general.

How much do the employers care about how academic or relevant your degree is? Not as much as most think. LSE Management is both qualitative and quantitative and rather than think how non-quantitative it is compared to Economics, one could also realise how qualitative, and relevant to the real world, it is compared to very quantitative courses. All quants and no communication skills end up in backroom. You need both in the real world and most students underestimate the importance of qualitative skills.

I would have thought the relevant question for you would be - how is LSE Management compared with your other offers? It has probably better prospects than an Economics degree in most universities.
Reply 3
Original post by GandalfWhite
You will get conflicting opinions, the negative ones from those who claim to know a lot but actually not as much as they think they do and certainly not enough to make them wiser than those who do provide such courses or those who actually employ them.

Seriously, employment prospects are more than just your degree course or even the university you graduate from. There are many with successful careers with non-Economics degrees and from various universities. There is no doubt that a degree from LSE helps in getting a look-in with most employers, and an LSE Economics degree will be very respected. In reality, any degree from LSE is well recognised by employers who understand that the competitiveness of LSE is an indication of graduates in general.

How much do the employers care about how academic or relevant your degree is? Not as much as most think. LSE Management is both qualitative and quantitative and rather than think how non-quantitative it is compared to Economics, one could also realise how qualitative, and relevant to the real world, it is compared to very quantitative courses. All quants and no communication skills end up in backroom. You need both in the real world and most students underestimate the importance of qualitative skills.

I would have thought the relevant question for you would be - how is LSE Management compared with your other offers? It has probably better prospects than an Economics degree in most universities.

All in all, seem like its a good degree to study at LSE then haha.

I was just a bit worried, probably because I am going to uni in a few months.

Thanks for the reply
Original post by A12R34
All in all, seem like its a good degree to study at LSE then haha.

I was just a bit worried, probably because I am going to uni in a few months.

Thanks for the reply

And a great place to
meet, make friends with or 'network' with very ambitious uni-mates ....
It's LSE so average starting salary gona be high no matter what course, management seems very good anyway.
I am planning to apply to the same course next year. So out of curiosity, what were your gcse grades and a-level grades?
Reply 7
Original post by suleimenova
I am planning to apply to the same course next year. So out of curiosity, what were your gcse grades and a-level grades?

GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B (PE)
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A

in maths, further maths, history and econ.

I think with LSE, personal statement is very important as well.
Original post by A12R34
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B (PE)
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A

in maths, further maths, history and econ.

I think with LSE, personal statement is very important as well.

Good grades. Yeah, all you need is a good PS now. Good luck.
Reply 9
I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE Management course (AAA) and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. What are my chances of getting in ? I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR THIS COURSE ? PLEASE can someone advise me and what are best things to include in my personal statement for LSE Management ??? My other four choices are;
UCL - Management Science
UCL - Statistics and Management for Business
UCL - Statistics, Economics ans Finance
KCL - Economics and Management
but LSE Management is my top choice. Please can I have some advice, thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending