The Student Room Group

UK Big4 audit (Will I be stuck in audit??) or leave UK for banking/consultancy.

Hi, this is a long post, but just skip to the bolded question towards the end if you have no patience and time hahah.

Background: I'm an international student from Malaysia about to graduate and I currently have 2 job offers in hand:

1. Audit with a big 4 in the UK
2. A joint programme back in Malaysia with Accenture and CIMB (CIMB Group is an indigenous ASEAN investment bank, the largest Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) based investment bank and one of the world's largest Islamic banks - Wikipedia) for one year in Management Consultancy, then the second year in banking.

And I really don't know which one to go for.

1. On one hand, Big 4 audit in the UK is a great opportunity seeing it's been very difficult for international students to secure jobs here. Of course, it means I will need to do the ACA which I'm not too keen on, but it's paid for and I will get an extra qualification after 3 years which is something. But is audit something I want to do? I'm more interested in consultancy and banking to be honest, but then again I'm just a fresh graduate so I can't say I hate audit without even trying. I think I would like to stay in the UK, there's wide exposure, faster growth and opportunities, and hey, I managed to get a job in such a competitive market. In the long run when I do return to Pacific Asia, the international experience will definitely be strong in my favour.

2. On the other hand, the joint programme gives me the opportunity to experience both Management Consultancy and Banking, and after the 2 years I can decide which one I'd prefer. The downside is that it's back in Malaysia, where I can't say the economy and standards of living are high. (With my UK monthly pay, I can probably afford rent, bills and living expenses and still be able to save equivalent to a whole month's Malaysia pay). I also don't really feel like it's anything special, like it's really not too difficult to get a job with a big 4 back in Malaysia (classmates who went straight into accounting courses locally after high school have jobs with EY, KPMG... which makes me think that I as a UK degree graduate should be finding better opportunities. I come off as a snob but that's how I feel). Also, it's been widely said that once you've leave the UK, prospects of getting a job back here is very very low. But then again, do I want to come back to the UK? There are other pastures like Hong Kong or Singapore...

Right now, I've kinda pinpointed my main concern: If I do take up audit, get my qualification after 3 years, am I basically stuck? I've read that it's difficult to switch from audit straight to banking/consultancy without actually having to transfer internally to a closer department or to do a MBA. And this is what's holding me back from making any final decisions.

So, anyone has any input or advice really, it'll be much appreciated. I've asked my circle of friends and everyone has mixed opinions that are probably bias to their circumstances (ie. friends who really want to stay in the UK after graduation will tell me to stay, friends who are in banking/consultancy will tell me to take the offer in Malaysia, then there are the unhelpful friends who tell me to do whatever makes me happy LOL). I won't know what would make me happy at this point?! I think it's a question of what would I regret more not taking.

So yeah :smile: Thanks! xx
Lots of people have transferred from audit to consulting/banking so it's definitely doable. You won't be stuck in it but you do have to show your interest in it. You can try and do CFA Level 1 to show your interest in finance and that you're not just an accountant.
Go with number 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending