The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to list boxing/bodybuilding on my application? (Cambridge maths)

Applying to study Maths at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and St Andrews.

Is my apprehension to abstain from listing "boxing" and "bodybuilding" on my UCAS personal statement justified? Despite the fact both of them are a big part of my life (I lift six times a week and box four), I fear that they could subconsciously put across the idea of "roughness" in the minds of the admissioners given that they're both considered "blue-collar" sports in comparison to, say, cricket. Granted, extracurriculars are far less important for mathematics (and my mathematical aptitude will be their prime concern) but, if it ends up neck-and-neck between me and another applicant, I worry that it could possibly affect me in a negative way.

What's your take? There are genuine skills and life-lessons that I've taken away from both of these endeavours that aren't your cliche "I learned team work and leadership from playing sports". Both are heavily reliant on self-discipline due to being individual-based sports; if you don't do what you've got to do, you'll fail. It's as simple as that. And that self-discipline has translated itself into every facet of my life; particularly my studies. And for that reason, when compared to the average university student, I am fairly confident in saying that my study schedule will be superior to theirs.

What's your take on this situation?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's completely irrelevant, don't mention it on your PS.
It would sound a bit naff - unless you can use it to show your 'work ethic' - ie. working to personal deadlines, commitment to a task etc - but there are probably better ways of illustrating this.
Only give it a short mention (one of two lines) with a heavy focus on what relevant skills you've gained. Remember that your extra curricular para should only be about 100 words.
Original post by alleycat393
Remember that your extra curricular para should only be about 100 words.

That's if you decide to put one in at all. I didn't bother and I thought my PS was much the better for it. I can't imagine why any admissions tutor would be interested in an applicant's extracurriculars, no matter what positive spin they put on them. I suspect the Cambridge maths admission tutor will care even less.
Have you looked at the Cambridge University ABC website?

That might give you a little more confidence in your sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
That's if you decide to put one in at all. I didn't bother and I thought my PS was much the better for it. I can't imagine why any admissions tutor would be interested in an applicant's extracurriculars, no matter what positive spin they put on them. I suspect the Cambridge maths admission tutor will care even less.

Ironically, yes. It isn't really a personal statement at all; it's rather impersonal :tongue: I agree that a significant proportion of the statement should be academically focused but I think it's unfortunate that, indeed, applicants to maths especially don't get much credit for their personality.
Original post by Snufkin

Well for the simple reason that it takes more than purely academic excellence to get through or even do well at uni. Admissions tutors need some way to get to know the person behind the application, before interview, to work out whether they will fit into the program and not quit halfway. However, that isn't to say that not including any extra curricular activities in your PS is going to lose you a place.
Admissions tutors need some way to get to know the person behind the application, before interview, to work out whether they will fit into the program and not quit halfway. However, that isn't to say that not including any extra curricular activities in your PS is going to lose you a place.

Yes, admissions tutors will want to get an idea of what the applicant is like as a person and whether they'd cope in the Oxbridge system - but that is done at interview. You can't get to know someone just by reading a personal statement and I doubt that any admissions tutor would expect to. The personal statement is essentially a way of saying "I am the perfect person for your course because..." - if you start talking about irrelevant extracurriculars then the admission tutor would likely assume you have nothing else to say about the course or why you want to do it, which doesn't look very good in my opinion.
Original post by Snufkin
Yes, admissions tutors will want to get an idea of what the applicant is like as a person and whether they'd cope in the Oxbridge system - but that is done at interview. You can't get to know someone just by reading a personal statement and I doubt that any admissions tutor would expect to. The personal statement is essentially a way of saying "I am the perfect person for your course because..." - if you start talking about irrelevant extracurriculars then the admission tutor would likely assume you have nothing else to say about the course or why you want to do it, which doesn't look very good in my opinion.

First off, everyone who gets a place isn't necessarily interviewed. I agree that you can't get to know someone from a PS but interviewing is both time consuming and expensive and so admissions tutors need to get some idea about what the person's like before they get invited to interview.

Academic excellence does come first and this sentiment is echoed on the Cambridge admissions webpages. That's why I said that not mentioning extra curriculars isn't going to lose you a place. I did advise the OP to focus their talk about extra curricular activities on relevant skills gained so I'm not advocating mentioning irrelevant extracurriculars. General selection criteria for Cambridge (they are probably similar to other unis as well) include things like potential and self-discipline which include transferable skills which can be gained from and demonstrated using extracurricular activities as examples.

Finally, my advice is not just a personal opinion but is based on years of experience with reviewing PSs, helping people with all sorts of applications and working in a university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
First off, everyone who gets a place isn't necessarily interviewed. I agree that you can't get to know someone from a PS but interviewing is both time consuming and expensive and so admissions tutors need to get some idea about what the person's like before they get invited to interview.

Academic excellence does come first and this sentiment is echoed on the Cambridge admissions webpages. That's why I said that not mentioning extra curriculars isn't going to lose you a place. I did advise the OP to focus their talk about extra curricular activities on relevant skills gained so I'm not advocating mentioning irrelevant extracurriculars. General selection criteria for Cambridge (they are probably similar to other unis as well) include things like potential and self-discipline which include transferable skills which can be gained from and demonstrated using extracurricular activities as examples.

Finally, my advice is not just a personal opinion but is based on years of experience with reviewing PSs, helping people with all sorts of applications and working in a university.

Cambridge interviews everyone they are likely to give an offer to. The PS is a very small part of their considerations, especially for Maths applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Cambridge interviews everyone they are likely to give an offer to. The PS is a very small part of their considerations, especially for Maths applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe so. But everyone who meets the academic entry requirements doesn't necessarily get interviewed so it's probably not a good idea to discount the impact of a PS completely.
Reply 12
Maybe so. But everyone who meets the academic entry requirements doesn't necessarily get interviewed so it's probably not a good idea to discount the impact of a PS completely.

"... very small part ..."
I think you can give it brief, and related it to your health in somewhat manner i.e. health indirectly related to less frequent sickness which indeed make you more efficient to complete the long term study objectives. But but I think the placement of the mention interest is more important.
Original post by ddhurst
Applying to study Maths at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and St Andrews.

Is my apprehension to abstain from listing "boxing" and "bodybuilding" on my UCAS personal statement justified? Despite the fact both of them are a big part of my life (I lift six times a week and box four), I fear that they could subconsciously put across the idea of "roughness" in the minds of the admissioners given that they're both considered "blue-collar" sports in comparison to, say, cricket. Granted, extracurriculars are far less important for mathematics (and my mathematical aptitude will be their prime concern) but, if it ends up neck-and-neck between me and another applicant, I worry that it could possibly affect me in a negative way.

What's your take? There are genuine skills and life-lessons that I've taken away from both of these endeavours that aren't your cliche "I learned team work and leadership from playing sports". Both are heavily reliant on self-discipline due to being individual-based sports; if you don't do what you've got to do, you'll fail. It's as simple as that. And that self-discipline has translated itself into every facet of my life; particularly my studies. And for that reason, when compared to the average university student, I am fairly confident in saying that my study schedule will be superior to theirs.

What's your take on this situation?

There's absolutely no way it will impact you negatively. At most, your interviewer might be interested in why you chose boxing / bodybuilding, so it'll be a good conversation starter to break the ice. As has been mentioned, for maths the tutors are interested in any extra-curricular maths you've done (AEA / maths challenge / Olympiads and other competitions / reading more widely / attending some uni lectures if you get a chance). If you have some of these and you're pushed for space, don't mention your sports.
Goes a long way to show that you're actually well rounded, I think.
I would give it a mention, but only if you can word it well and fit it in good context.
Original post by jneill
"... very small part ..."

Agreed! And as I, and several others, have said several times before, not having an extra curriculars para in your PS is not going to lose you a place at Cambridge or any other uni for that matter. Grades come first. That isn't at all to say that your PS shouldn't be the best it can possibly be, because, at the end of the day, it's still a part of your application package.
(edited 8 years ago)
Admissions only care about academia.i.e. your extra curricular should be about academic activities. Like being able to walk down the street reading a book. Honestly I saw someone doing that in cambridge. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Paladian
Admissions only care about academia.i.e. your extra curricular should be about academic activities. Like being able to walk down the street reading a book. Honestly I saw someone doing that in cambridge. :tongue:

Just think how many books the OP can lift. Definitely worth mentioning. (Just to say @shamika has it)
Did you win any medals? @ddhurst? Did you box for your county? Are you a champion body builder? tbh I believe its a waste of space on your PS honestly all cambridge care about is your academic ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending