The Student Room Group

1000's of uni graduates unemployed - are you worried?

I found it interesting when reading this article today about how many people are leaving University to become unemployed, or to work in non-professional jobs.

Although 2/3 of graduates do leave university and find work that utilises their hard-earned degree, the other 1/3 contains over 13,000 unemployed, and over 60,000 in "non-professional" work that could have been achieved without a degree.

Are you worried about this, and does this put you off going to university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah, my course has something like 90% employment with 6 months of graduating.
It amazes me that this shocks young people and yet tons of them still go to university despite so many articles and debates about it.

I like how the article only refers to 6 months after leaving university, as if the situation must magically improve for grads beyond that point (probably because that's when we all get our surveys sent out to us, I know). They should do some research into long term unemployment/underemployment of grads - that might shock some people out of blindly 'going to uni' as everyone seems to be doing these days.
Reply 3
Original post by somethingbeautiful
It amazes me that this shocks young people and yet tons of them still go to university despite so many articles and debates about it.

I like how the article only refers to 6 months after leaving university, as if the situation must magically improve for grads beyond that point (probably because that's when we all get our surveys sent out to us, I know). They should do some research into long term unemployment/underemployment of grads - that might shock some people out of blindly 'going to uni' as everyone seems to be doing these days.

But a lot of people don't know this and are only told uni is a good thing.

In schools and colleges over the last few years, there seems to be a lot more education about why you should be going to uni, so do you think we should be balancing this out in schools and giving students information on what there is other than uni?
Original post by GuppyFox
But a lot of people don't know this and are only told uni is a good thing.

In schools and colleges over the last few years, there seems to be a lot more education about why you should be going to uni, so do you think we should be balancing this out in schools and giving students information on what there is other than uni?

I know - I was one of those young people 7 years ago when I applied to university.

I think schools need to educate kids about apprenticeships/NVQs and stop peddling uni as the only route to success. Once you've graduated with a completely useless degree such as mine your only option is to retrain - but you can't retrain because you've maxed out your funding. I managed to retrain because a company agreed to ''overlook'' my degree to secure funding - no one else would (they took a massive risk doing that) and I was under 24 at the time so I met the ''no previous education and under 25'' rule for funding even though that was a lie aside from my age. Even once I'd retrained I couldn't get work in that sector because I still didn't have enough experience apparently (typically people in that industry start aged 16 - I started aged 24).

If you're over 25 with a degree then there's no chance. Either join the armed forces or enjoy the rest of your life on the dole or minimum wage.

I have a blog here about my struggle since graduating: http://underemployedgraduate.tumblr.com/

I make no money from it, so it's not self promotion for anything other than educating people about the reality of life for a lot of grads. I post a lot on TSR on thread of this type because young people are rarely shown the other side of the story - they're just constantly told that uni is great and will lead to success - it's just a massive lie.

The ONLY saving grace about my degree is that it means I can apply to grad med - but to be honest, I could have re-sat A-Levels (self-funded though), my degree isn't the only way in. My degree was a waste of 3 years and a massive amount of hard work - all for nothing.
Lack of graduate employment is, in the majority of cases, the fault of the graduate in failing to choose a course that they can do well in, that the career path has a shortage of those employees and the job is economically beneficial.

I feel no shame in saying that those who study Arts, Law, Journalism, Psychology, Marketing etc. simply are negligent in planning their future and the state should not support them because they are voluntarily plunging themselves into poverty. Some of these courses are so over-inflated with graduates (Law, Psychology) to a labour demand that simply isn't there and won't be for the next 30 - 40 years. Or other degrees such as arts (liberal arts, fine arts, music etc.) are completely useless to most employers and those who will take you would take you on without a degree anyway. You might as well do pottery for 9 000 a year because the end result is the same.

People who do a degree because they like it (it is their hobby) should simply not complain about employability. If you want employability study something worthwhile to the economy/society rather than worthwhile to your entertainment. Too many people have been sold the lie "choose what you have most fun doing."
(edited 8 years ago)
No.

Both my undergraduate and postgraduate courses have a literally 100% employment rate. My undergraduate university even has a virtually 100% employment rate for seven years straight.

This is without mentioning that I don't actually have to work.
Reply 7
Original post by SotonianOne
Too many people have been sold the lie "choose what you have most fun doing."

The problem with following this advice of course, is you spend 3 years enjoying yourself, and the next 50 being miserable because you can't find a decent job. Better to do things the other way around I think, if the choice is available.
Graduates of which subjects with which final classifications?
You can thank Labour's idiotic plan of 1999 to get 50% of young people to university. Universities increased the number of places and these were taken up by people who, in the past, would have gone to work. We, as a country, don't need that level of graduate employment as there aren't enough genuine graduate-level jobs available. Lo and behold, here we are today.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
No.

Both my undergraduate and postgraduate courses have a literally 100% employment rate. My undergraduate university even has a virtually 100% employment rate for seven years straight.

Which universities are they?
Original post by Duncan2012
You can thank Labour's idiotic plan of 1999 to get 50% of young people to university. Universities increased the number of places and these were taken up by people who, in the past, would have gone to work. We, as a country, don't need that level of graduate employment as there aren't enough genuine graduate-level jobs available. Lo and behold, here we are today.

should of voted UKIP
x

What was your original degree in?

I've had a read through your blog but I can't find the backstory.

Really interesting blog by the way :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What was your original degree in?

I've had a read through your blog but I can't find the backstory.

Really interesting blog by the way :smile:

Hi, thanks :smile:

My degree was BA Philosophy. I should really write a blog entry about my degree actually!

My degree was BA Philosophy. I should really write a blog entry about my degree actually!

You really should :h: I think you make some really sensible and well balanced arguments - it's the kind of discussion we need to be having in general.

Interesting to read about perceptions of different humanities degrees. I did History which employers seem to like, whereas I've noticed that Philosophy has a worse reputation - even though History is largely applied Philosophy :erm:
It is really sad that the university system has become like this. Too many people go(come on, its pretty obvious) and the job market was not built to handle such numbers. The only smart route for uni that at least can half way guarantee you will be ok is to go with a STEM honestly. I'm not dissing other degrees because they have their uses but they are all heavily oversubscribed and not in demand. It's all about chasing the market. Outside of that, you need experience(do internships or summer programs between uni years) and a good CV. To an extent you should study something you love but in this economy, that really doesn't wash anymore sadly.

And what exactly were you hoping to do with that degree? Where did you plan your career to head to?

And why did you choose it?
Reply 17
Original post by GuppyFox
I found it interesting when reading this article today about how many people are leaving University to become unemployed, or to work in non-professional jobs.

Although 2/3 of graduates do leave university and find work that utilises their hard-earned degree, the other 1/3 contains over 13,000 unemployed, and over 60,000 in "non-professional" work that could have been achieved without a degree.

Are you worried about this, and does this put you off going to university?

So is it unemployment, or underemployment you want to make your point about? The title is about the former, the OP is about the latter...

Original post by lucaf
Nah, my course has something like 90% employment with 6 months of graduating.
Nope, unless I get a 2.2, which means I won't even be getting a job at Tesco.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
No.

What do you two study?

What degrees?

Quick Reply

Latest