The Student Room Group

The Year in Industry (YINI)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wr3012
any ideas roughly when that is? not up to speed with the whole business calendar...mayb i'm just being dense

tourist: great to hear from some1 who has already been through the whole thing (well, i wasnt sure from ur post whether u hav already finished or are part way thru... mayb i'm just being dense here too...). where was your placement (geographically & which company?), also what sort of things were you doing for them?

Only just noticed this sorry! I'm getting on for half way throug my placement now. I'm working in the South West (having moved 6 hours from the North West) I'm doing officey type things and work with our website. Will PM you a bit more about my placement.
I'm thinking about applying for this, have been for a while but I don't know if it would be a waste of money. What I'd like to know is how hard it is to get a place? People posting here probably have great CVs and mine isn't impressive. Is there a lot of competition for places? And how important is it to have relevant work experience? Looking at the placements on the Yini website they don't sound easy.
Reply 22
Waste of money? It costs like £25 hardly the world's biggest investment.
tourist
Waste of money? It costs like £25 hardly the world's biggest investment.

It's only an investment if you get a place, hence the questions. If only like 1 in 10 get a place then I'm sure that I won't be chosen. I'm not an AAAA student with tons of work experience and ECs. So if anyone wants to help instead of picking up on the irrelevant parts of my post then I'd appreciate it and hand out a few rep points.
Reply 24
Nobody but YINI can tell you that - try phoning them? The only thing anyone can tell you is their one sole experience.

YINI places are generally oversubscribed, they place as many people as they can. Apply early and you'll get more interviews prepare well for your interviews and you're likely to get places. Remembering that these tbh are pretty low level jobs the companies don't require rocket scientists, they do require people who are prepared to work hard and show and interest/enthusiasm.

At your YINI interview they will help you improve your CV before it gets sent to companies.

My experience has been people who get placed on YINIs are bright, did pretty well at school, plan to go to good unis and have a genuine interest in getting some relevent work experience before they go.

At the end of the day your £25 "loss" if you don't get a place is like two missed cinema trips. And yeah it will be a waste of money, but if you get placed you'll can be about £4k in pocket after a years savings and have a free Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification in management and something decent to put on your CV.

Year in Industry will tell you all of this if you ask them.
Hmm well that's good advice. I wouldn't say I fit what you said the typical Yini person is though. While I am doing well at college and plan to go to a respected uni I am a bit older (22) than most people applying for this would be. I still think the experience gained would be very useful to me though.

Since I wouldn't be the typical Yini applicant that's why I can't decide if it's something I should try. And when I look at the vacancies for positions on their website I don't see many, and some don't sound easy either. But perhaps those are only a small selection. I guess I should do what you said and talk to Yini.

Edit, and I suppose I should have looked at their FAQ. "Around two thirds of all applicants are successfully placed with companies." Sounds like the odds are high enough to be worth trying anyway.
Reply 26
Sephiroth
Hmm well that's good advice. I wouldn't say I fit what you said the typical Yini person is though. While I am doing well at college and plan to go to a respected uni I am a bit older (22) than most people applying for this would be. I still think the experience gained would be very useful to me though.

You won't be typical in that you are older and applying to uni, but I know at least 4 or so who are in the Bristol area of the SW (where I do YINI) who would be in their second or third year uni if they weren't taking a placement year out. The difference between a 20 year old and a 22 is little to none. Most people are working on their own or with small group 2-3 people in one company so I don't see that it would be a problem for you. The only time everyone gets together are for the courses one weekend every couple of months.
I guess I'll give it a try, well I'll see how they respond to my e-mail first. Although I am already leaving it a bit late. Thanks.
Reply 28
dw, ur not leaving it that late- only sent them the final version of my cv a week or two ago. got my assessment day on the 21st.
Reply 29
Slightly digressive but have YINI students been asked to give presentations at schools promoting YINI? I’ve been asked to go to a private school in a few weeks time and give a presentation in front of 250 students! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 30
Dimez
Slightly digressive but have YINI students been asked to give presentations at schools promoting YINI? I’ve been asked to go to a private school in a few weeks time and give a presentation in front of 250 students! :eek: :biggrin:

Yep, my mentor rang up my boss and asked her if it was okay for me to do one where he did the presentation and I stood there looked pretty and said "yeah YINI is great". This turned into *me* giving the whole presentation. Who'd have thought he'd be so cunning?

What we have been doing is whenever YINI e-mail us asking to do it just e-mailing back saying "sorry too far" "sorry too short notice". It worked quite well for a few months.
Reply 31
Wow unlucky mate. How did the presentation go? Is it as daunting as it sounds? :biggrin:
Reply 32
It was alright actually, it was only like 20 people so not a big deal really. Thank god it wasn't 250!
Reply 33
Tell me about it!! I have to give 2 half-hour presentations to two groups of 125. I think that's worse than 250 all at once!!

Where are you working BTW? What do you do?
There hasn't been much mentioned on the moving from home aspect. I wouldn't like to have to move to the other side of the country and spend most of the money I'd be earning. I live in Ipswich (Suffolk) where they may not be that many jobs so I realise I may not have that much choice.

Anyone moved from home for it? What was the cost like?
Reply 35
Dimez
Tell me about it!! I have to give 2 half-hour presentations to two groups of 125. I think that's worse than 250 all at once!!

Where are you working BTW? What do you do?

Argh :frown: bad luck! Will pm you about where I'm working etc.
Reply 36
everylittleting
There hasn't been much mentioned on the moving from home aspect. I wouldn't like to have to move to the other side of the country and spend most of the money I'd be earning. I live in Ipswich (Suffolk) where they may not be that many jobs so I realise I may not have that much choice.

Anyone moved from home for it? What was the cost like?

I moved about 5 hours away from home. I pay about £320 a month for food and rent plus you may have the expense of travelling home to see your family. (Though my family pay this for me, on the basis of they don't pay they don't see me :P)
Reply 37
I just got a phone call from a woman at my YINI office saying I have an interview at a software house on the 19th :smile: she said she'd sent me an email but I haven't got it...she's sending it again, I hope it all works out okay :smile:

eta: I got the email and stuff :smile: I've kind of lost the student pack that YINI gave me though...does anyone want to help me out by letting me know what it says about preparing for interviews? I can't rep unfortunately because I don't have enough posts :frown:
Reply 38
katwin
I've kind of lost the student pack that YINI gave me though...does anyone want to help me out by letting me know what it says about preparing for interviews?

Here's the info from the presentation hand-out I got at the interview workshop :smile:, hope some of it helps,

Matt

Research the Employer

What do they do?

How big are they?

Who are their customers?

What is their reputation?

What challenges are they facing?

What is your job likely to involve?

What sort of person will they want?

Link Your Skills to the Employers Needs (I)

Re-read your CV - be prepared to elaborate

What are your skills and attributes?

Can you demonstrate team working or using your initiative

Use real life examples where possible

Link Your Skills to the Employers Needs (II)

Experience in part-time jobs

Do you enjoy working in a team?

Do you get a sense of achievement when a task has been completed?

Have you taken part in any activity that enablewd you to plan, contribute and deliver a solution to a problem?

What about sports or hobbies?

Interviews Are Often Predictable (I)

Do you understand what the job may involve?

Are you able to do the job?

Have you got the right approach to your work?

Will you fit in?

Interviews are Often Predictable (II)

Anticipate likely questions and your answers

List those questions and practice the answers

Write down the questions you would like to ask at interview

Use parents or friends to help you prepare

Types of Questions You May Be Asked (I)

Interviewers use two types of questions -

Open... tell me about your interest in ...

Closed... will you get to work by car or bus?

Types of Questions You May Be Asked (II)

Warm ups

Why us?

Why do you want to study...?

About you

Scenario questions

Types of Questions You May Be Asked (III)

Warm ups

Tell me about yourself

What should I know about you?

What are your main achievements to date?

What do you do in your spare time?

Your course

Why did you choose to study...?

What are your views now?

Which university are you planning to go to and why?

Why us?

Why do you want to work for us?

Why should we take you on?

What can you do for us?

What can you contribute to this industry?

What is your impression of this organisation?

What do you know about this organisation?

Questions You May Be Asked (IV)

Personal...

How do you deal with problems?

What is the most difficult thing you have had to deal with?

Discuss your exam results

What would you say your weaknesses are?

What do you think the main skills or qualities needed by this organisation are?

What else should we know about you?

What motivates you?

What do you hope to be doing in 5 years time?

How geographically mobile are you?

Tell us about your knowledge and expertise in IT

What do you think might be the most difficult things about this placement?

Why are you looking to work in...?

How do you cope when things get difficult?

Present a Positive Image

Check what you need to take with you

Plan you journey

What to wear?

Most employers like people who…

Take notes of do’s and don’ts

Answer questions with examples

Come prepared and appear confident

Listen to questions

Interview Do’s

Try to relax whilst waiting

Walk into the room confidently watch your body language, smile and make eye contact with the interviewer, sit relaxed but upright

Act and appear professional first impressions count, listen attentively

Answer the questions fully without waffle or bluster

Sell your achievements, provide example where possible

Keep positive, friendly and polite

Project enthusiasm

Listen to why a question in being asked of you

Bring supportive information with you and a list of key questions

Ask questions to show you have done your homework

Seek feedback on your performance

Interview Don’ts

Sit until invited to do so

Arrive unprepared

Slouch in the chair or sit on the edge of it

Fidget or display other signs of nervousness

Joke, swear, smoke or be over familiar with the interviewer

Act too laid back or personal (although the odd bit of humour sometimes helps)

Draw attention to your weaknesses

Waffle, wander away from the point of any answer

Appear too cocky, undersell yourself, mumble or talk too quickly

Look unmotivated or bored

Jump in with answers before the question in completed

Forget to ask some questions

Take rejection personally

How Did I Do?

What “first impression” did I make?

Did I answer the questions fully?

Did I “sell” myself?

Were my questions answered?

What were the good bits?

What could I do better?

Do I still need any more information?

Helping Yourself Do Well

If there is anything in the interview letter you don’t understand or would cause a problem, ask for clarification

If the date and time is a problem, explain why

If they want you to confirm attendance, do so!

If you want more information on the company, ask for some or the web site address

Conclusion

Prepare as much as possible

Be honest with yourself

Be open minded

Enjoy the experience!

Reply 39
wow, thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest