The Student Room Group

US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide

Scroll to see replies

BBC News
The US Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex marriage is a legal right across the United States.

In a historic 5-4 decision, Justice Anthony Kennedy writing for the majority ruled that marriage is a constitutional right for all.

"No union is more profound than marriage,'' he wrote, backed by the court's four more liberal justices.

It is unclear how soon marriage licences will be issued in states where gay unions were previously prohibited.

Before the ruling on Thursday, gay couples could marry in 37 states in addition to Washington DC.

Read the full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33290341
This makes me so very happy!! :clap2:
This makes me so so so so happy, it's been a long time coming. God bless the USA. :congrats:
Fantastic news!
If this is "A New Hope", surely the sequel will be "The Republicans Strike Back".
Reply 7
I'm so happy right now!

Congrats to everyone in America who'll be getting engaged today☺️

Nice to know if I ever move there I'll still be able to marry!
Not anything special for the US, gay marriage should be a requirement for the people, not a privilege. They don't deserve a pat on the back, they simply have done what is needed.
about time

but have to agree with Protege they have simple done what is right.
YAAAAAS, so so happy about this, one more win for us!

On another note, where is that pastor that said he's going to burn himself, I wanna see the video lol
Reply 11
Sad that they have taken this long, and even sadder that a huge amount of people in the population still think this is a "bad decision" :frown:

At least it's finally a good step forwards!
This made my day : D
Hell yeah! Party!!

:danceboy: :grouphugs:
An important question; did the 5-4 majority determine that sexual orientation is a "suspect classification" in US constitutional law requiring "heightened scrutiny"? I shall read the judgment now.
Original post by gagafacea1
YAAAAAS, so so happy about this, one more win for us!

On another note, where is that pastor that said he's going to burn himself, I wanna see the video lol

I'd forgotten about him

I think he's going to spend the rest of his life regretting that statement
Now I actually have to find a guy who will marry me :wink:
Original post by ExcitedPup
Now I actually have to find a guy who will marry me :wink:

lmao
Original post by gagafacea1
lmao

Well... it made gay marriage legal, not compulsory, otherwise wedding bells would be ringing for me and Grant Gustin :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by Protégé
Not anything special for the US, gay marriage should be a requirement for the people, not a privilege. They don't deserve a pat on the back, they simply have done what is needed.

Agreed, it's only what most of the rest of the developed and modern world has, but it is good news nevertheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending