Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When are the accomodation forms given out?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys know when, on average, forms for the accomodation are given out as i am attending an open day in april and wonder whether this will put me at a disadvantage for getting popular accomodation if other applicants have already sent back their forms?

Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hp_348)
    Do any of you guys know when, on average, forms for the accomodation are given out as i am attending an open day in april and wonder whether this will put me at a disadvantage for getting popular accomodation if other applicants have already sent back their forms?

Thank you
    depends on the uni. and quite a few don't start the allocation process until July and soem don't start it until after the A-level results have come out, so it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where your applying to but just to back up mtbabs point I can use the examples from my firm and insurance places

My insurance place, Glasgow, sends out the accommodation application forms with the stuff you get after you have an offer, you then send it back as soon as you want but before a certain date, people with unconditionals would get accommodation allocated but not those with conditionals (i'm guessing) and people who put them as insurance get a card they have to send back if they end up going there

My firm place, York, doesn't send them till after A level results and when you're guaranteed to be going there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the University. With KCL and Bristol, once you have decided if it's your firm or insurance, they will send you the accommodation details.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i may as well add my bit in here

with Kent you can apply online as soon as uve confirmed them as firm or insurance, but they don't start allocating until July

with Sheffield, they'll send the booklet end of this month, or when you confirm ure firm and insurance whichever is later, then you apply on-line and allocation starts in July.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should we set up a list of what unis do for their First Years Accom

Cardiff - March - May time sent out accom forms to all applicants asking for Firm applicants to send the app form in. Insurance students must wait until after Results Day
    Newcastle - Feb - April send out app forms to all apps. Must submit something if it is your firm or insurance to an internet site asking for certain preferences. Must be done by beginning of May
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I couldnt do that, Ive got lots of work to do, like, errrmmmm, viewing Facebook and increasing my TSR post count
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have some time...I'll see what I can rustle up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Information copied and purloined from UCAS and each institutions website, also listed)

The University of Aberdeen (A20)
    UCAS number crunching: Percentage of first years requiring accommodation who can be accommodated in institution managed accommodation : 100 Estimated weekly cost of institution-managed accommodation for 0-38 weeks: (including 0-2 meals a day, 0- days per week): 90.00-108.00 (including no food): 55.00-73.00 (other): 78.00-78.00
    What the university has to say: "The University-managed accommodation houses approximately 2,100 students and all single, new students are guaranteed a place in either University-managed or in privately-owned halls, even if you live in Aberdeen now. Late applicants cannot be guaranteed a place but the Student Accommodation Office will do everything they can to help you find a suitable place to live. Our experienced staff know how important it is to help you with the formalities involved."
    "All overseas first year undergraduate students are guaranteed a place in a University Hall of Residence for at least the first year of study."
    % of first years in halls: 100%
    How/when to apply for accommodation: "Once you have accepted an unconditional or conditional offer of admission to the University, you will be sent an accommodation application form". This must be completed and received by the first Friday in September.
    Applicants through clearing: Once accepted through clearing you will be sent an application form. Must be returned by the first day in September.

Student Accommodation Office
    University of Aberdeen · Kings College · Aberdeen · AB24 3FX
    Tel: +44 (0)1224-273502 · Email: studentaccomm@abdn.ac.uk

University of Abertay Dundee (A30)

UCAS number crunching: Percentage of first years requiring accommodation who can be accommodated in institution managed accommodation : 100 Estimated weekly cost of institution-managed accommodation for 0-36 weeks: (including 0- meals a day, 0- days per week): .00- .00 (including no food): 42.00-42.00 (other): 60.00-60.00
    What the university has to say: "When allocating accommodation the University gives priority to first entrants and to overseas students who are new to Dundee.

For those who do not wish to be placed in the University accommodation, our Accommodation Office staff happy to give information on finding accommodation within the private rented sector."
    % of first years in halls: 100%
    How/when to apply for accommodation: "All applicants to the University are sent information on accommodation and an application form once they have accepted their unconditional offer of a place at the University. Students wishing to secure accommodation can also choose to complete the accommodation application form available online once their acceptance has been registered at the University. Students wishing to secure accommodation should complete the accommodation application form available online once their acceptance has been registered at the University."
    "You should complete and return this form ASAP as our rooms are allocated on a first come, first served basis."
    Applicants through clearing: No data avaliable (that I can find...so far)

Accommodation Officers:
    Hilary Quinn - Senior Accommodation Officer
    Des Wassall - Senior Accommodation Officer
    Brenda Marr - Accommodation Officer
    Tel. +44(0) 1382 308059
    Email. accommo@abertay.ac.uk
    Website:http://www.abertay.ac.uk/About/Acc/I...fm?Key=004.014

NB: I've only done two so far, just to see what you all think. Seems like a good template to me. What would be a good idea is if people on TSR could add to this using a similar template (please amend if it turns out to be rather poor).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have recieved 3 conditional offers for now. when do we have to book our accomodation? and do we need to do it for both firm and insurance ? would appreciate if you could help as you always did thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    good question i also want to know if i need to apply for insurance accomadation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you get the opportunity to sort out your insurance accomodation until/if you miss your grades for your firm - and then you have to sort it all out at the last minute.

I'm guessing you sort out the accomodation for your firm once you've clarified with UCAS what your firm and insurance choices are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    some places lets you apply for accom as an insurance person before hand. I know i've applied for my accom at Kent already.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank God for this thread- I was worried about getting accom. I really want an en-suite and I'm scard if I don't apply real soon I won't get one only I can't even choose my first choice because although I applied i in November I havn't recieved all of my offers.

If I ask for an En-suite how likley is it that they will completly ignore my request and stuff me in a shared room with shared bathroom(worst nightmare)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thats what i am worried about aswell i know all offers but my firm sent me the package but didnt update it on track yet so i still have to wait
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroptd)
    Thank God for this thread- I was worried about getting accom. I really want an en-suite and I'm scard if I don't apply real soon I won't get one only I can't even choose my first choice because although I applied i in November I havn't recieved all of my offers.

If I ask for an En-suite how likley is it that they will completly ignore my request and stuff me in a shared room with shared bathroom(worst nightmare)?
    say you have a personal problem with a shared room and you defo won't get a shared room.

Ensuite however, it depends what perecentage of their accom is ensuite, if it pretty low, i wouldnt holp your breath, that said, someone has to be in the ensuite rooms
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    say you have a personal problem with a shared room and you defo won't get a shared room.
    Do let them know thru a letter I send with the application form or telephone the accommodation office? do you knw?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroptd)
    Do let them know thru a letter I send with the application form or telephone the accommodation office? do you knw?
    depends how you apply, there'll most likely be at option on the application form or an additional notes section which you can say this.

What uni is it? most unis have pretty done away with shared rooms now, just keeping a few on for those who actually say they want one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    depends how you apply, there'll most likely be at option on the application form or an additional notes section which you can say this.

What uni is it? most unis have pretty done away with shared rooms now, just keeping a few on for those who actually say they want one.

it's Exeter- they still do shared rooms- dnt knw why.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At Loughborough you apply in June/July. And it's NOT first come first served either. The Uni will make it really clear when the time comes, don't worry.

And for those worrying about bathroom facilities etc, everyone worries about having an en-suite, but those who don't get it never end up having issues. One of my friends here applied for an en-suite single room, and had a shared room with communal bathroom. She loves it. :-)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 26, 2007
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.