The Student Room Group

What jobs could I likely get?

So next year I want to get a part time job. However, I wouldn't like to work at a till or anything like that. What types of jobs are reasonable for a 17/18 year old?
Reply 1
What's wrong with the till?
Reply 2
Original post by iAmanze
What's wrong with the till?

Don't really like servicing people at the till.
Try finding some construction work, alternatively work at the farm but they are usually good for the summer (full-time). You can make decent cash but it's pretty difficult.
Reply 4
Original post by Protégé
Don't really like servicing people at the till.

Do what you don't like man. Trust me it's a great thing. Getting comfortable with pushing your comfort zone.

If you can get comfortable with doing that at this age, you'll be an outstanding person in the future.

Go build your small talk skills and confidence man.
Do something your future self will thank you for.
I always have the same problem with part time jobs, I hate the till/customer service.

You can
- work in a warehouse
- in a factory as a production worker (although you still have a till moving past you but at least you are not serving people lol)
- stockroom assistant
- stacking shelves at a supermarket
- in the summer you can get jobs like picking fruit or stuff like that

have you ever had a part time job though? cause ive looked at some of these and even these require previous experience most of the time. its easier to get a job at KFC.
Reply 6
Original post by ALevelBro
Try finding some construction work, alternatively work at the farm but they are usually good for the summer (full-time). You can make decent cash but it's pretty difficult.

Construction? What would they let me do there? I do prefer physical work for a job compared to sitting in an office or something.

Original post by iAmanze
Do what you don't like man. Trust me it's a great thing. Getting comfortable with pushing your comfort zone.

If you can get comfortable with doing that at this age, you'll be an outstanding person in the future.

Go build your small talk skills and confidence man.
Do something your future self will thank you for.

Thank you for the advice, it's good advice. However, if I'm going to be doing a job I'd rather be doing one that I can at least enjoy somewhat. I don't have much experience and it would help me to not hate my job.
Reply 7
Original post by driftawaay
I always have the same problem with part time jobs, I hate the till/customer service.

You can
- work in a warehouse
- in a factory as a production worker (although you still have a till moving past you but at least you are not serving people lol)
- stockroom assistant
- stacking shelves at a supermarket
- in the summer you can get jobs like picking fruit or stuff like that

have you ever had a part time job though? cause ive looked at some of these and even these require previous experience most of the time. its easier to get a job at KFC.

Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing any of those jobs really. There aren't many warehouses around where I am but I'll try and look around.

Nada. I've had work experience in Year 10 but I've never worked part time. I have helped family members in their place of work but nothing formal.
Original post by Protégé
Construction? What would they let me do there? I do prefer physical work for a job compared to sitting in an office or something.

Depends, just simple tasks like setting up signs along the road or cleaning up debris and dust.

It's easier to get in if you have a relative or friend working at a site, otherwise you probably just need to try your luck elsewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Adult Entertainment if you're over 18 and got decent looks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending