The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What sort of new debate could this bring to the table?
Reply 21
well - obviously a lot of debate happen in the HoC which don't in the MUN and visa-versa, and usually on decisive topics, hence chances are it would bring debate on issues which may not normally be included.
bikerx23
As said - I am quitting the speaker role so I can finish my degree with style.etc. - so anyone who is interested in replacing me, see the HoC forum :wink:

Oh you do retain some fragments of sanity...:s-smilie: Good to know :biggrin:
Reply 23
Agent Smith
In addition, this proposal would, if adopted, inevitably give the impression of superiority of the UK delegate over the rest of the MUN representatives, something I oppose.

I don't see any reason for this to be the case.

Furthermore, if the TSR HoC ends up controlled by a MRLP majority, the result would be that a political party that is intentionally silly would be allowed to spread its silliness into a completely separate area of the forum and, joking about the MRLP aside, I would disapprove of that extremely strongly. In so far as it is concerned with countries' internal politics at all, the MUN is not supposed to reflect the simulated politics of the TSR HoC, but rather those of the real world.

Foiled :frown:
Nefarious
I don't see any reason for this to be the case.
What I mean is that the UK delegate could legitimately claim a higher authority than the rest of the MUN, namely that of being indirectly elected by the entire voting population of the forum and not just the GA as with other major representative positions and indeed the SG.
Reply 25
Agent Smith
What I mean is that the UK delegate could legitimately claim a higher authority than the rest of the MUN, namely that of being indirectly elected by the entire voting population of the forum and not just the GA as with other major representative positions and indeed the SG.

but even if the individual is idiotic to claim such a position, it is not true, hence any more-than-halfwitted p5 member would see no problem in ignoring this point.
Agent Smith

No one would allow him/her to! :confused:

Choosing the UK rep makes more sense because we are the UK. Topics debated will be common territory, rather than all of us having to suddenly double our research time. Also if you're going to experiment with such an idea, the UK is the more feasible option to choose first thing..
Reply 27
unless pig is planning on making a model kremlin I dont think this will work properly. Best to reward activity in our forum than the hoc
Lol.. I guess this idea isn't even going to make it to a poll! :p:
Reply 29
bikerx23
well - obviously a lot of debate happen in the HoC which don't in the MUN and visa-versa, and usually on decisive topics, hence chances are it would bring debate on issues which may not normally be included.

oh do come up with some better bull than that if you're going to try and sell it.

I hardly see how domestic issues debated in the HoC bear any relevance to international issues debated in the MUN. From my experience in the HoC, bills concerning foreign policy are few and far between, hence the relevance of them in the MUN is very little. I hardly think we want to discuss the UK changing its national anthem in the MUN, unless you want to turn it even more into an egotistical forum where we congratulate each other and offer condolences for the most irrelevant of issues.
Reply 30
Hrm. Not sure I like this idea. As a member of both the MUN and the HoC, I think we really ought to keep the two seperate.

But I'm also pretty bloody hammered, so I'm just gonna shut it now...
Reply 31
6+6=6
oh do come up with some better bull than that if you're going to try and sell it.

I hardly see how domestic issues debated in the HoC bear any relevance to international issues debated in the MUN. From my experience in the HoC, bills concerning foreign policy are few and far between, hence the relevance of them in the MUN is very little. I hardly think we want to discuss the UK changing its national anthem in the MUN, unless you want to turn it even more into an egotistical forum where we congratulate each other and offer condolences for the most irrelevant of issues.

ofcourse...because that happens alllll the time in the HoC - can you really read what you're saying?
Reply 32
I do worry that this would lead to the MUN becoming slightly UK centric.
Reply 33
I don't understand. Initially, I'm against it, but it could work surprisingly well....

Like I said, I'm confused.
I don't understand. Boo.
Reply 35
randdom
I do worry that this would lead to the MUN becoming slightly UK centric.

I dont see any reason why it should, although I understand your concern. It would likely just introduce a few new topics and add a novel constitutional quirk to the proceedings - as has been said - you can quite easily give it a go and remove the suggestion if it doesn't fit with your expectations.etc.
Reply 36
bikerx23
I dont see any reason why it should, although I understand your concern. It would likely just introduce a few new topics and add a novel constitutional quirk to the proceedings - as has been said - you can quite easily give it a go and remove the suggestion if it doesn't fit with your expectations.etc.

I think the main worry is that it would no longer reward activity in this forum, but reward activity in the HoC forum, or even a party sub-forum.

Not to mention the Loonies are MAD!
Reply 37
hehe - the individuals would still be removeable by the SC by a vote of no confidence, so if that were the case then it could be dealt with.
Reply 38
alasdair_R
Not to mention the Loonies are MAD!

This is blatent discrimination :mad:
Nefarious
This is blatent discrimination :mad:

But we all know it's true :p: .

Latest

Trending

Trending