The Student Room Group

Just took stock of finances, wow...

First some background:
I'm a 21 year old Scottish student studying at a Scottish university. Just finished year 3 out of a 5 year integrated masters.

Financially, prior to Uni I had some savings maybe 3-4k or so which is a better situation than most I think. 1st year, I didn't take student loan avail to me (£4750), then second and third year I did.

I don't think i'm too bad with money, i've never really ever written out a budget for myself, and with the student bank accounts i just went for the 0% overdrafts and free goodies. That then spiralled into credit cards 0% offers, which in turn lead to 0% balance transfer offers to extend the time on balance for nominal fee (?2.9%). I know I have an excessive amount of accounts and have taken that interest free money from cards and put them in savings accounts with 3% rate. Therefore it's not unusual for me to be transferring large sums of money around, paying credit cards with debit cards from 0% overdrafts etc, but until actually summing all the accounts in an excel spreadsheet this evening I couldn't have told you if I was worth 10k or 10k in debt.

Bank Accounts:
6 Bank Accounts with 5 different accounts
Total Credit Across All £13500 (some positive some negative.)
Total Overdraft limits added up across accounts: £7200

Credit Cards:
5 Credit Cards with 5 different companies
Total Balance Across all: £7990
Total Credit Limits: £9900

Student Loans
Owed for repayment 2 x £4750, £9500.

So overall my financial position is in debt by £3990.

That has scared me ****less. Admittedly the money due to SAAS isn't due immediately but still.

What is even more surprising to me is the fact that I at 21, without having a full time job, and being in full time education have access to over £17000 of credit from banks/cc companies. How is that even possible? If i went on a splurge there is no way in heck I could pay that back and have no real assets. It would be a hole that could ruin my finances before they have really began.

A budget for next semester is a must for me i think!
Reply 1
The access to credit is surprising, considering your age and lack of full time employment.

However being in a negative networth at 21 is far from abnormal. Indeed I was in a similar position at that age. Don't worry about the student finance, focus on repayment of any interest generating bank/card accounts once you are employed.

Once you are working full time, it's not unreasonable to expect a networth increase of £10k+ per year even on a modest graduate salary.
Aha don't worry too much that isn't so bad not including student debts my friend owes around £25k on cards alone not including phone bills, loans etc. :L
As for your issue i concur with the above poster its not abnormal for debt, the companies are irresponsible nonces to put it mildly and shouldn't be lending like that to start with! I have a feeling you might have told a fib or two on applications though?

but take care of any high interest balances first - cash advances, shopping bills and so on they generate the highest interest see if you can move any to a different card if you have a BT offer open which lessens the burden and see if you can stamp out the debt before it grows otherwise if its bothering you greatly you could always consolidate the loans [cheaper option] or get a personal loan/bail out from the family which is even better.
Original post by Tartan_Warrior
First some background:
I'm a 21 year old Scottish student studying at a Scottish university. Just finished year 3 out of a 5 year integrated masters.

Financially, prior to Uni I had some savings maybe 3-4k or so which is a better situation than most I think. 1st year, I didn't take student loan avail to me (£4750), then second and third year I did.

I don't think i'm too bad with money, i've never really ever written out a budget for myself, and with the student bank accounts i just went for the 0% overdrafts and free goodies. That then spiralled into credit cards 0% offers, which in turn lead to 0% balance transfer offers to extend the time on balance for nominal fee (?2.9%). I know I have an excessive amount of accounts and have taken that interest free money from cards and put them in savings accounts with 3% rate. Therefore it's not unusual for me to be transferring large sums of money around, paying credit cards with debit cards from 0% overdrafts etc, but until actually summing all the accounts in an excel spreadsheet this evening I couldn't have told you if I was worth 10k or 10k in debt.

Bank Accounts:
6 Bank Accounts with 5 different accounts
Total Credit Across All £13500 (some positive some negative.)
Total Overdraft limits added up across accounts: £7200

Credit Cards:
5 Credit Cards with 5 different companies
Total Balance Across all: £7990
Total Credit Limits: £9900

Student Loans
Owed for repayment 2 x £4750, £9500.

So overall my financial position is in debt by £3990.

That has scared me ****less. Admittedly the money due to SAAS isn't due immediately but still.

What is even more surprising to me is the fact that I at 21, without having a full time job, and being in full time education have access to over £17000 of credit from banks/cc companies. How is that even possible? If i went on a splurge there is no way in heck I could pay that back and have no real assets. It would be a hole that could ruin my finances before they have really began.

A budget for next semester is a must for me i think!

start hustling with that money try auctions you can pick up a rolex for less than a grand and triple your money if not more with some pieces
Reply 5
Original post by jamesthehustler
start hustling with that money try auctions you can pick up a rolex for less than a grand and triple your money if not more with some pieces

James; with the amount you apparently hustle I'm continually surprised at how you still have time to spam about it on here :wink:
rolexes, diamonds, gold, and cash are all equally liquid everywhere wants 'em so sales are quick and easy i can buy a rolex and sell it and have reinvested the profit in a couple of days

Original post by Reue
James; with the amount you apparently hustle I'm continually surprised at how you still have time to spam about it on here :wink:
Original post by Reue

He is brilliant :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending