The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Maths Interview questions/advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by the bear
is the one about the stones a trick one ?

Spoiler

Lol, I was sitting here making parity arguments for nothing :-)
What's people opinions of using past interview questions to prepare for future interviews? Do they re-use questions or is it a waste of time...
How do you get good at sketching graphs? do you just memorise different graph shapes and transformations because when i see a question where you have to sketch a graph which i haven't seen before I have no idea where to start
Original post by Protoxylic

Spoiler

But that's using FP2. I'm sure there's probably a way with comparing coefficients with FP1 knowledge.

Original post by physicsmaths
You need FP2. Further complex numbers. Look up de moivres theorem and see if you can do it from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by stabiloboss360
What's people opinions of using past interview questions to prepare for future interviews? Do they re-use questions or is it a waste of time...

None of these was asked in my interview. Although a previous step quetion was asked in my interview which i realised after. It was small and a starter but still odd. They generally dont reuse it over previous years but they do repeat it within each cycle to compare candidates. Although I was asked a hard question no one in my college was asked(from those who I asked).
Also these question give you an idea of how to think and how hey will challenge you to think. Be ready to be challeneged and bot understand something asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexParmenter
How do you get good at sketching graphs? do you just memorise different graph shapes and transformations because when i see a question where you have to sketch a graph which i haven't seen before I have no idea where to start

All you need is the basic graphs, and then think about multiplying them together or adding them at points along the axes, and you get used to it. I can't think of a better way to explain it - say you had y=(lnx)2y = (\ln x)^2 then I'd imagine drawing lnx\ln x twice and multiplying the y coordinates at each point on the x axis. If I had y=lnx2y = \ln x^2 then that's like a transformation f(x)f(ax)f(x) \rightarrow f(ax), except aa is xx, and so the stretch is exponentially varying in the x direction...
Key to graph sketching:
Trivial points such as |x|=x x>0 and |x|=-x if x<0
For trig think about general solutions to the graph first, what happens at 0 and infinity -inifinity
Now for harder graphs, look for oblique asymtotes(edexcel you will need to read about this as its not on our syllabus), horizontal and vertical asymtotes. Now around the asymtote for example if we had x=1 as an asymtote i would see what happens at just below 1 and just above 1. Differentiate to see max and min. Also look at intervals and you should understand deeply second derivitive inflextion local max and min and concavity. I was crap at graph sketching before hand pratice makes perfect and now I can do nearly all STEP curve sketching questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
None of these was asked in my interview. Although a previous step quetion was asked in my interview which i realised after. It was small and a starter but still odd. They generally dont reuse it over previous years but they do repeat it within each cycle to compare candidates. Although I was asked a hard question no one in my college was asked(from those who I asked).
Also these question give you an idea of how to think and how hey will challenge you to think. Be ready to be challeneged and bot understand something asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they ask you questions that you couldn't answer initially, and then ones that you couldn't answer without some nudging? So were there any questions that you left unanswered in the interview?
KNow how to convert some graph y=f(x) to y^2=f(x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Key to graph sketching:
Trivial points such as |x|=x x>0 and |x|=-x if x<0
For trig think about general solutions to the graph first, what happens at 0 and infinity -inifinity
Now for harder graphs, look for oblique asymtotes(edexcel you will need to read about this as its not on our syllabus), horizontal and vertical asymtotes. Now around the asymtote for example if we had x=1 as an asymtote i would see what happens at just below 1 and just above 1. Differentiate to see max and min. Also look at intervals and you should understand deeply second derivitive inflextion local max and min and concavity. I was crap at graph sketching before hand pratice makes perfect and now I can do nearly all STEP curve sketching questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we have slightly different approaches lol :P
Original post by Duskstar
Did they ask you questions that you couldn't answer initially, and then ones that you couldn't answer without some nudging? So were there any questions that you left unanswered in the interview?

No Somehow, no bragging intended I got everything right in the college test and everything right in the first interview(consisted of goibg over test and expanding) until they introduced me to some university level material which threw me off but then thought about then got it right. The second interview was perfect and could not have gone better, he even said we tried to throw you off but it obviously hasnt worked :smile:. Just be conifident in yourself and its not as hard as you think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first questions were very straight forward. Like very straight forward and it gets harder harder and harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
I ( and many others) would love this booklet but surely you can do better than that...
Don't you know anybody with a scanner?
It would be nice to put this into a PDF

How do I do this lol. Sorry but i can just about work my tsr app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
How do I do this lol. Sorry but i can just about work my tsr app.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need a scanner to take "photocopy" the 4 sides of the document ...
If you do not have a scanner surely someone you know will have one.
post the good quality pictures on TSR and I will put them onto to PDF.
All you need is the basic graphs, and then think about multiplying them together or adding them at points along the axes, and you get used to it. I can't think of a better way to explain it - say you had y=(lnx)2y = (\ln x)^2 then I'd imagine drawing lnx\ln x twice and multiplying the y coordinates at each point on the x axis. If I had y=lnx2y = \ln x^2 then that's like a transformation f(x)f(ax)f(x) \rightarrow f(ax), except aa is xx, and so the stretch is exponentially varying in the x direction...

Thanks, yeah that makes sense :biggrin:

Up until recently i wasn't considering maths as a route for uni so i'd just basically learned what i needed for the a level exams and left it at that but this year i'm trying to strengthen my maths skills so i can go for a maths based course at university. I want to start looking at questions which push you further than the a level questions and i think the first step for me is just learning how to approach questions :smile:
Original post by TeeEm

I shall use my Iphone 5 then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you need a scanner ...

Phones may have good quality but they will distort and misalign a document.
Original post by TeeEm

I can fix the original post images by using a transformation matrix to get the angle right then adjusting contrast but I can't really be bothered
Reply 38
Original post by Scarlet Sword
I can fix the original post images by using a transformation matrix to get the angle right then adjusting contrast but I can't really be bothered

This document is excellent but I could not possibly store images in my computer which look like used toilet paper. I am a perfectionist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that if you download the Google Drive app (if you can on an iPhone lol) then it has a 'scan' capability, which essentially scans it as a document and crops it and adjusts contrast so it's really readable in it's digital form. I think it should give you the option if you select the '+' to add a new file, and then there's an option called 'scan'. You can adjust the cropping if it does it incorrectly first time.

My phone does this, but I have an Android phone.

Quick Reply

Latest