The Student Room Group

Will Airbnb accept a debit card?

I was planning on renting a place on Airbnb and when I go onto the booking page it only gives me the option of paying by credit card. I went onto the 'help' section of the website and asked whether it would be possible for me to pay with Visa Debit and got two answers from people who are Airbnb experts or whatever (but don't actually work for the website - the website itself hasn't contacted me yet although said they will do).

'Only if the debit card is also allowed to be processed as credit - otherwise debit cards are not allowed.'

'Yes, this is possible so long as the card can be processed thru the major credit card networks. That fact that your's is thru Visa is a very strong indication this would work.'

Anyone with any experience booking places on Airbnb with a debit card? I don't understand what 'allowed to be processed as credit' means. I called my bank and they didn't understand what it meant either, they said a debit card's a debit card and a credit card's a credit card. Maybe I'm just being stupid.

Please help!
I've paid with my debit card with no problems. I was confused with that as well but I think some places seem to call debit and credit cards 'credit cards'. Mine was a Visa debit as well. Try it and you'll know if your card works.
If it takes credit itll take debit :smile: no difference to them the money still goes to them just from a different place.
Reply 3
It is happening to me too. Pleas help!
Original post by chacharm
It is happening to me too. Pleas help!

Hi, please check the thread date before posting. Going to close this one now.

Latest

Trending

Trending