The Student Room Group

Anyone watch WWF during the attitude era?

Was watching the youtube videos this evening. I miss those days. The rock, stone cold omg
Moved to Sport, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
:yawn:
WWF was when wrestling was hot man.

WCW vs WWF were the days.
Original post by Kash24411
WWF was when wrestling was hot man.

WCW vs WWF were the days.

I tried to watch wwe - what the hell ?!

Its like one boring sitcom. Its awful.
Original post by Adipoptosis
I tried to watch wwe - what the hell ?!

Its like one boring sitcom. Its awful.

Yeah its dreadful...

I still watch Raw every now and then as there are some promising wrestlers in the scene.

But it will never be like before.
Reply 6
Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Undertaker, Rikishi, Kurt Angle and The Rock in that six-man Hell in a Cell match was breath-taking. Wish they did one like that these days.

Imagine how good Rollins vs. Ambrose vs. Reigns vs. Cena vs. Bryan vs. Lesnar would be.
Reply 7
Same will say the kids that are watching wwe today
The Attitude era had a lot of great characters and more solid storytelling than today's product but much of the content made no sense and the quality of actual wrestling on the weekly television was pretty poor. It's a bit of a misconception that it was all great, based more out of nostalgia for the likes of Rock, Austin etc. and the edgier style.

1998 was the best year for wrestling in my lifetime story arc and character wise, I thought Raw and Nitro had both jumped the shark by mid-99.
Reply 9
Original post by IanDangerously
The Attitude era had a lot of great characters and more solid storytelling than today's product but much of the content made no sense and the quality of actual wrestling on the weekly television was pretty poor. It's a bit of a misconception that it was all great, based more out of nostalgia for the likes of Rock, Austin etc. and the edgier style.

1998 was the best year for wrestling in my lifetime story arc and character wise, I thought Raw and Nitro had both jumped the shark by mid-99.

Nitro jumped the shark when David Arquette won the goddamn championship.
Original post by Mackay
Nitro jumped the shark when David Arquette won the goddamn championship.

Well yeah but it'd been pretty bad for about a year before that. Raw jumped the shark for about a year shortly after WrestleMania XV. The whole higher power angle that made no sense, everyone being in a meaningless faction of some kind, Rock dropping to the midcard to feud with Mr Ass, Bulldog, Bossman etc ... Austin winding down with injury, Triple H and Chyna being the main event act when it wasn't really connecting, Big Show winning the title and feuding with Bossman over his fictional dead dad, the miscarriage angle, Beaver Cleavage, Vince winning the belt, the whole Chyna/Jarrett stuff. Oh my god that was a horrible year!

It slowly picked back up with the arrival of Taz, Kurt Angle, Guerrero, Benoit and the Dudley Boyz. :smile:

What everyone will remember the attitude era for.
Reply 12
Hell yes, I loved the Attitude Era. The storytelling and gimmicks were as edgy as they were ridiculous but that's what made the WWF awesome back then because it was entertaining and that is fundamentally what is most important. The general quality of their content were consistently entertaining as well. The amount of 'big-name' matches in the regular Raw events were unreal; you would always see The Rock, Austin, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Undertaker and other top wrestlers in matches OUTSIDE of PPVs. Heck, even the Attitude era mid-carders were far more entertaining than anything the entire WWE roster could string together on any given PPV. I'd rather watch The Dudley Boyz put someone through a table, the Hardys diving off ladders or Too Cool doing their thing than see John Cena bury someone for the umpteenth time.

Those were indeed the golden days and the WWE will never do anything like it again. WWE have long monopolised the professional wrestling industry so they don't need to be innovative or edgy anymore; they just need to make money and all they need to do to make money is to churn out Cena merchandise. I don't even think they make that money off the regular shows or the PPVs bar Wrestlemania anymore but Vince McMahon a.k.a. Montgomery Burns probably doesn't care that much about the quality of the product anymore for several reasons.

I'll also never forget the sheer brilliance of Jim Ross; that man could provide a commentary on grass growing and it would be absolutely entertaining.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Philzy
Hell yes, I loved the Attitude Era. The storytelling and gimmicks were as edgy as they were ridiculous but that's what made the WWF awesome back then because it was entertaining and that is fundamentally what is most important. The general quality of their content were consistently entertaining as well. The amount of 'big-name' matches in the regular Raw events were unreal; you would always see The Rock, Austin, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Undertaker and other top wrestlers in matches OUTSIDE of PPVs. Heck, even the Attitude era mid-carders were far more entertaining than anything the entire WWE roster could string together on any given PPV. I'd rather watch The Dudley Boyz put someone through a table, the Hardys diving off ladders or Too Cool doing their thing than see John Cena bury someone for the umpteenth time.

Those were indeed the golden days and the WWE will never do anything like it again. WWE have long monopolised the professional wrestling industry so they don't need to be innovative or edgy anymore; they just need to make money and all they need to do to make money is to churn out Cena merchandise. I don't even think they make that money off the regular shows or the PPVs bar Wrestlemania anymore but Vince McMahon a.k.a. Montgomery Burns probably doesn't care that much about the quality of the product anymore for several reasons.

I'll also never forget the sheer brilliance of Jim Ross; that man could provide a commentary on grass growing and it would be absolutely entertaining.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said

JR and King were also essential. Absolutely legends.
Reply 14
Original post by Awesome Genius

JR and King were also essential. Absolutely legends.

Back then, they were definitely the dream team when it came to commentary. It's just a shame that JR was fired for a highly absurd reason and that the King has regressed a lot in his commentating ability since the Ruthless Aggression era. I rarely watch the regular shows but the gulf in quality between commentary now and then is huge, which definitely illustrates the overall gap in quality between PG era WWE and the WWF. Now it's all about plugging the 9.99 WWE Network, calling moves in the most monotone way possible and generally talking about things other than the match.

Although I of course preferred the much more risque Attitude Era and the comparatively underrated Ruthless Aggression era, the problem isn't even the WWE turning PG in itself but rather the current flaws that are the result of the WWE being directed badly since the turn. Now, the WWE hierarchy are so fixated on having the creative team decide everything rather than let the wrestlers have the level of creative input that made the preceding eras so entertaining. As a result, we have poorly directed feuds, mostly bland gimmicks and promos that range from forgettable to absolutely corny.

Maybe if someone like Paul Heyman was running things, we'd get what we want (!) but the WWE will remain Vince's product until he dies and then Triple H will take over. NXT is actually a decent product but I still have reservations as to whether Triple H will improve the main shows once he eventually gets full control.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Philzy
Back then, they were definitely the dream team when it came to commentary. It's just a shame that JR was fired for a highly absurd reason and that the King has regressed a lot in his commentating ability since the Ruthless Aggression era. I rarely watch the regular shows but the gulf in quality between commentary now and then is huge, which definitely illustrates the overall gap in quality between PG era WWE and the WWF. Now it's all about plugging the 9.99 WWE Network, calling moves in the most monotone way possible and generally talking about things other than the match.

Although I of course preferred the much more risque Attitude Era and the comparatively underrated Ruthless Aggression era, the problem isn't even the WWE turning PG in itself but rather the current flaws that are the result of the WWE being directed badly since the turn. Now, the WWE hierarchy are so fixated on having the creative team decide everything rather than let the wrestlers have the level of creative input that made the preceding eras so entertaining. As a result, we have poorly directed feuds, mostly bland gimmicks and promos that range from forgettable to absolutely corny.

Maybe if someone like Paul Heyman was running things, we'd get what we want (!) but the WWE will remain Vince's product until he dies and then Triple H will take over. NXT is actually a decent product but I still have reservations as to whether Triple H will improve the main shows once he eventually gets full control.

I can't confess to watching currently wrestling actually. I stopped watching when the Rock left in 2002. I do watch clips now and again and it just looks like one big soap opera with people about 10% as charismatic as the Rock or Jericho.

My theory is that it's not only the fact that they went PG, it's also that the quality of the stars just isn't as good. Vince said in an interview that starts just aren't as dedicated or committed as before.
Reply 16
I only watch Raw and Smackdown on an irregular basis nowadays; I still watch Attitude and Ruthless Aggression era videos wherever I can find them for nostalgia. Even then, I rarely ever watch the current shows whole way through because three hours is a long time and they reaaaaaaaalllllly drag it out but you are right. Most of the roster is devoid of any charisma, their in-ring ability seems far more limited and they are pigeonholed into bad gimmicks or bad feuds that almost always have matches ending in a DQ or count out. The quality of the stars has dipped overall but that again comes down to Vince and the creative team stifling them. I'm sure that most of them would do a whole lot better on the mic and in the ring if they had the chance. We wouldn't get another Rock, Jericho or Austin but we'd get something far greater than Cena's cliche promos, Triple H's long-winded promos or Reign's promos that could put an insomniac in a coma.

I would suggest you try to watch one episode to see how mediocre the general quality of shows that WWE churns out has become, so that you can appreciate the golden era that much more!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest