The Student Room Group

Applying as individual or through college

Hi all,
So I'm about to make an account for ucas for 2016 entry, and I'm not sure whether i should apply through my college or as an individual.
What are the differences? Do i choose who writes my reference?
My case:
1) My head of year and I don't like each other.
2) I'm aiming for high universities (does it make a difference?).
3) Most important, I want to choose which teacher writes my reference.
And any other differences.
Thanks.
Original post by Maytham
Hi all,
So I'm about to make an account for ucas for 2016 entry, and I'm not sure whether i should apply through my college or as an individual.
My case:
Thanks.

Through your college. Not doing so makes universities very suspicious if you are a current student. It screams that you are trying to hide something. In addition, your college may not permit you to apply as an individual, i.e. they may not agree to supply a reference if you do this. Your relationship with your head of year should not enter into it. He/she is a professional and will do a professional job. A college reference is not dependent on only one teacher. All your subject teachers and your form tutor will have an input. You will almost certainly not be allowed to say you only want one teacher to do it unless that is the system which operates in your school and that is unlikely.
Original post by Maytham
Hi all,
My case:
Thanks.

Yep, you have to do it through your college, I'm afraid. Applying as an individual is an option for gap year / mature students who apply while they are not in education, or who are not studying through a physical body with a tutor who can help with their application directly. When I was in school, we didn't have a choice who did our reference, but I think that was because our sixth form was so big (we had about 250 students in Y13!). Obviously I don't know the rules for your college - is there anyone you could ask, other than your head of year? However, as a professional, they have to write a true statement - they can't make something awful up so that you don't get into Uni! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending