The Student Room Group

What makes football players so special?

I watch a few sports, football mainly, then Tennis, Formula 1 and a small dose of NBA Basketball.

What makes football players so different to Basketball players? Tennis players etc?

I think the main difference is that there's a lot more variation in individual football players. Let me give you examples:

Thinking outside the obvious stats differences and the way a football player shoots the ball, the way Messi controls the ball, touches the ball, dribbles with the ball, will vary from other players. Hazard controls and dribbles the ball differently to Bale, and Neymar controls and dribbles the ball differently to Willian etc.

But in Basketball, most pro basketball players will shoot the ball the same way and they will dribble in a very similar way. There's little variance in how pro basketball players can perform (speaking outside of all stats variations). Some will defend better and some will score more points, but I'm mainly talking about ball control because stats can be skewed (if they play in a better team with better individual player, they will get more chances to score).

Let's not forget scoring 50 goals a season isn't the norm at all in football, it has only become normal for Messi and Ronaldo. Before them, a player scoring 30 goals was a fantastic season (it still is), but more importantly, people will take into account the way they play. Ronaldinho is a good example of bringing flair along with success.
Original post by am_blue
I watch a few sports, football mainly, then Tennis, Formula 1 and a small dose of NBA Basketball.

What makes football players so different to Basketball players? Tennis players etc?

I think the main difference is that there's a lot more variation in individual football players. Let me give you examples:

Thinking outside the obvious stats differences and the way a football player shoots the ball, the way Messi controls the ball, touches the ball, dribbles with the ball, will vary from other players. Hazard controls and dribbles the ball differently to Bale, and Neymar controls and dribbles the ball differently to Willian etc.

But in Basketball, most pro basketball players will shoot the ball the same way and they will dribble in a very similar way. There's little variance in how pro basketball players can perform (speaking outside of all stats variations). Some will defend better and some will score more points, but I'm mainly talking about ball control because stats can be skewed (if they play in a better team with better individual player, they will get more chances to score).

Let's not forget scoring 50 goals a season isn't the norm at all in football, it has only become normal for Messi and Ronaldo. Before them, a player scoring 30 goals was a fantastic season (it still is), but more importantly, people will take into account the way they play. Ronaldinho is a good example of bringing flair along with success.

But their playing styles can be very different. The ball handling of Anthony Mosgov or Bogut is going to be much different to that of Russell Westbrook or Steph Curry. Do you see Mosgov repeatedly doing crossovers or trying to shoot from the three throw line? Do you regularly see Steph Curry driving to the basket in front of a horde of 6ft 10 Power Forwards and Centers and trying to do post moves in the paint area? Curry's usually waiting for an opening to shoot from the perimeter or if he's being double teamed he passes it to Thompson/Barnes so that they can hit threes or to bogut for the slam dunk. There's issues of playing on the fast break(like Houston Rockets and Golden State are known for) and playing slow to lower the tempo like Cleveland did during the finals. There's issues of going big and going small. Basketball games vary quite a bit, even though in general it's a fast paced sport(the rules make it so that it should be), there's also working the shot clock, deciding whether to go into the paint or not and other small tactical and personal variations from player to player. Heck you get different types of Centers, such as Dirk Nowitskiy and Shaq.

I give an example, Tristan Thompson is a power forward who loves to work in the paint, he's not an exceptional shooter in the 2 point range but he is very good at rebounding(which has little to do with team, but more 1 vs 1 player matchups) , he decides to then go for easy layups or dunks when possible.

PG's are generally known as the flair players along with SGs, sometimes you may get a flairy small forward but you'll usually get a powerful/tall guy who's capable of doing everything on the floor from ball handling to threes.

I don't think Football players are that special, it's just that it's popularised in the UK and it's between Football, Rugby and Cricket here. There's so many stoppages in play for Rugby and Cricket is so boring when you're not playing it, Cricket mainly. Although Rugby is a good sport to watch if you want to drink a cider with a few people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Football is a business because it is so popular and requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Only the ones that work and hard and are prepared perform properly. They are away from their families the majority of the time and have to work every day. They aren't allowed to go out clubbing or enjoy themselves which can lead to them becoming depressing or even worse killing themslves because it can be mentally and physically draining
Reply 3
Football players have a varied skillset, and that's what makes them special? What? What about rugby, cricket, American Football, Netball, Cycling, etc? There's a lot more variation in the players of those sports, far more so than football players! The thing is, that some of the sports which you've said you watch (F1, Tennis, etc) are individual sports and therefore have less variation in the players than others will do! Football really isn't special in this regard
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you probably just know more about football, and pay more attention to football, so you're more aware of the differences between footballers than the differences between other sportspeople.
I would think rather than than style differences which occur across alot of sports, football (and other sports too like tennis) give the impression that anyone can succeed with enough talent and practice.

Without trying to put down other sports. What i mean is with basketball, there's no way a midget like Messi makes it to the top or even becomes professional, simply not tall enough. With rugby and american football you need large powerful players as well as being lightning quick to succeed. Other sports simply aren't as accessible to do the masses because of entry requirements.

With football all you really need is a ball, and the big and small, weak and tall, fast and sow can all play if they make up for it in different ways.

Without one team you'll find players like matic playing alongside hazard, players like fellaini lining up with mata and they'll all have their impact.

And then as in OP other sports like shot putt, darts and snooker seem to have one general technique.
Original post by pic
Yeah! If you leave the UK nobody knows what football is!!!

Looooool

You've misinterpreted my point. The way Football is seen in some places outside the UK doesn't have too much relevance to my point. I'm talking about how popular Football is as a sport here.

If you were to ask an american their favourite athlete/sports person of all time, you'll get responses of Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Barry Bonds, Dirk Nowitski, Tyson Gay, Michael Phelps etc. You won't be getting as many responses of Lionel Messi. Same thing if you asked Indians that same question, they'll most likely respond with a cricket player.

I'm talking about in the perspective of people in the UK. This is likely from somebody living in the UK and is talking about why Football players are so special, they speak of footballers because football is so popular in the UK.

Original post by tavtavtav
I would think rather than than style differences which occur across alot of sports, football (and other sports too like tennis) give the impression that anyone can succeed with enough talent and practice.

Without trying to put down other sports. What i mean is with basketball, there's no way a midget like Messi makes it to the top or even becomes professional, simply not tall enough. With rugby and american football you need large powerful players as well as being lightning quick to succeed. Other sports simply aren't as accessible to do the masses because of entry requirements.

With football all you really need is a ball, and the big and small, weak and tall, fast and sow can all play if they make up for it in different ways.

Without one team you'll find players like matic playing alongside hazard, players like fellaini lining up with mata and they'll all have their impact.

And then as in OP other sports like shot putt, darts and snooker seem to have one general technique.

Basketball you got people who are as short as 5ft 9 playing in the NBA such as nate robinson. If you got a jump that's high enough you can make a point guard at between 5ft 8-6ft.

Also you'd also argue that while everybody is tall in the NBA, you'd argue that at the top level you rarely have tall men(above 6ft 5) at the top teams other than at GK. Peter Crouch e.g. is 6ft 8.

I guess in football there is a lot of variation to a type of CF, or even at CB and GK.
Reply 7
Cricket is the most individual sport by far, it's certainly more than Football and Basketball. Can be boring to watch if you're not into it tbf and certain matches but that's like every sport I suppose.
Original post by pic
Ask any person in the world nearly to name a football player and they could. Ask any person in the world to name a basketball player, and nearly everyone couldn't except Americans or wannabe Americans (Filipinos). Football is popular everywhere, basketball isn't.

That has nothing to do with the point I was trying to say. Also pretty sure everybody will know about Michael Jordan simply because of the shoe brand. Same way everybody will know about Lionel Messi or the Ronaldos.

The main point was how it's very popular in the UK compared to other countries. Not about whether Football is more popular than Basketball in the world sense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jam277
That has nothing to do with the point. Also pretty sure everybody will know about Michael Jordan. Same way everybody will know about Lionel Messi or the Ronaldos.

lool no
Reply 10
Original post by pic
Ask any person in the world nearly to name a football player and they could. Ask any person in the world to name a basketball player, and nearly everyone couldn't except Americans or wannabe Americans (Filipinos). Football is popular everywhere, basketball isn't.

lmao
I'm pretty certain Jam's right about naming Michael Jordan. When you have discuss greats of sports he is the GOAT for basketball no questions. His brand name is huge.
Original post by Malevolent
I'm pretty certain Jam's right about naming Michael Jordan. When you have discuss greats of sports he is the GOAT for basketball no questions. His brand name is huge.

I guess people never heard of Air Jordans before either. Despite it making $2.25B a year :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jam277
But their playing styles can be very different. The ball handling of Anthony Mosgov or Bogut is going to be much different to that of Russell Westbrook or Steph Curry. Do you see Mosgov repeatedly doing crossovers or trying to shoot from the three throw line? Do you regularly see Steph Curry driving to the basket in front of a horde of 6ft 10 Power Forwards and Centers and trying to do post moves in the paint area? Curry's usually waiting for an opening to shoot from the perimeter or if he's being double teamed he passes it to Thompson/Barnes so that they can hit threes or to bogut for the slam dunk. There's issues of playing on the fast break(like Houston Rockets and Golden State are known for) and playing slow to lower the tempo like Cleveland did during the finals. There's issues of going big and going small. Basketball games vary quite a bit, even though in general it's a fast paced sport(the rules make it so that it should be), there's also working the shot clock, deciding whether to go into the paint or not and other small tactical and personal variations from player to player. Heck you get different types of Centers, such as Dirk Nowitskiy and Shaq.

I give an example, Tristan Thompson is a power forward who loves to work in the paint, he's not an exceptional shooter in the 2 point range but he is very good at rebounding(which has little to do with team, but more 1 vs 1 player matchups) , he decides to then go for easy layups or dunks when possible.

PG's are generally known as the flair players along with SGs, sometimes you may get a flairy small forward but you'll usually get a powerful/tall guy who's capable of doing everything on the floor from ball handling to threes.

I don't think Football players are that special, it's just that it's popularised in the UK and it's between Football, Rugby and Cricket here. There's so many stoppages in play for Rugby and Cricket is so boring when you're not playing it, Cricket mainly. Although Rugby is a good sport to watch if you want to drink a cider with a few people.

As soon as I saw your picture I knew you'd pick up on the basketball point haha but I agree with what you said, there's a lot of variation in basketball and once you understand the game you'll notice it.

To the OP, one of the main reasons football is so popular is because of its working class roots which separates it from most other sports that are popular here. Even now when you look at private schools they'll have very good rugby and cricket teams but state schools will probably have the kids who play for professional academies (my school team had 8 players who at some point played for a professional academy and most of the others had trials)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest